GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Buffalo, kings or Columbus aren’t giving up any of these for marner at that cost and one year of him. He doesn’t even have that value because he controls where he goes
So did tkachuk.
So did PLD.
So did jones.

Every player with one year left pretty much controls where they go. They let it be known where they will sign and that’s it.

We didn’t trade for hanafin because we knew he wouldn’t stay.

Reactions: arso40

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
So did tkachuk.
So did PLD.
So did jones.

Every player with one year left pretty much controls where they go. They let it be known where they will sign and that’s it.

We didn’t trade for hanafin because we knew he wouldn’t stay.
Except marner has complete control! Your statement about all players is a literal lie but sure go ahead

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Without an extension, Marner doesn't have the value to bring back a top D. He's not the young controllable asset he once was.

How many teams had that top D available.... and can add a 12 million dollar winger..... and is somewhere Marner wants to go? There are just so few trades that make sense.

Yup, everything that you said is true, which is why it was so stupid of management (Dubas) to hold onto the core four while they continually lose out in the first round.

Our only true hope of getting that defenceman is through miracle pick in the draft or a miracle signing in free agency.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I wonder if one of the teams picking in the top 3 would do Marner (+extension) for their pick. I think Levshunov is a guy who could jump in.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Except marner has complete control! Your statement about all players is a literal lie but sure go ahead

Complete control of what?
his next contract
The fans?
The media?

not at all.

The leafs can extend him or tell him he’s not getting re signed at whatever demand. And they can decide where to move him.

The idea that he would put himself through this circus and be JT x10000 in his hometown where he lives just to what? Stay for a year and risk injury? Only be able to sing for 7?

It makes no sense. If he’s not getting extended. He finds a new place to go and the team gets him there.

Once you start getting into these level prices. People will pay more for an extension

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Columbus for Werenski or Buffalo for Dahlin

Can't see CBJ being interested in another high-priced winger given what they're already paying to Laine and Gaudreau.

Getting Dahlin would be incredible, but he's gotta be untouchable. I wonder if Buffalo would consider moving Owen Power though - he didn't have a great season from what I hear.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Complete control of what?
his next contract
The fans?
The media?

not at all.

The leafs can extend him or tell him he’s not getting re signed at whatever demand. And they can decide where to move him.

The idea that he would put himself through this circus and be JT x10000 in his hometown where he lives just to what? Stay for a year and risk injury? Only be able to sing for 7?

It makes no sense. If he’s not getting extended. He finds a new place to go and the team gets him there.

Once you start getting into these level prices. People will pay more for an extension
Walking as a UFA is the only thing that makes sense for a player who doesn’t want to leave.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Simashev/Geekie+1st Utah you have your big star enjoy.
Keller or bust

With a glut of young wingers coming up on cheaper deals, it would be a good time to look for that true top 6 C leader and more legitimize presence on the back end that can be a leader as well.

Move on from Marner Tavares. Retain Matthews and Nylander. Re-sign Domi.
Look I get this is a pipedream but two scenarios that would be extremely attractive is in nyi and Utah.

NYI needs a reset and we dangle signed Mitch for barzal. Matt Martin may convince him to stay there and it's a short flight. Utah for Keller. This is all if Mitch agrees to a sign and trade. We get our 2c and are once again ready to rock and roll with a solid centre tandem.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Thanks for this. I know JT takes a lot of heat here, but I've always been a fan of his. I know he's aging, I know his play has taken a hit, I know he is over paid, and I don't think he was the right person to be given the C. But, throughout his time here I can't say he's ever cheated the team with respect to his efforts. That he's been the only one of the 4 to see his goal and point production rise during games 5/6/7 in the playoffs is surprising, but to see that the other three have all seen there production rates drop, significantly so for Marner and Matthews, is sobering.

Keith Pelley has a lot of work to do. It wouldn't surprise me to see the entire top end: Shanny, Tre and Keefe let go. That may not be fair to Tre, given his short time here, but if Pelley is intent on changing the culture of this team, I can see him wanting to start with a fresh slate.

As for the players...I don't think anyone should be feeling safe, including Matthews. Change is coming, and it may be much more than we suspect. Given the results we've been watching the last 7 or 8 years I think it's time.
Yeah if Pelley wasn't lying and that report earlier in the year that said he wants to win and that will be one of his priorities then I'm all for him cleaning house even if it is Tre and he can start fresh with who he wants to hire and see if his guys will be better. As for the core they are stuck with Matthews and Nylander no matter what because of their new contracts so they'd either have to wait out Marner and Tavares contracts or retool and find a way to either trade for a top pairing D man or another C to replace Tavares. Or maybe they go the youth route and try and see if a team like Anaheim, Utah or maybe Seattle would trade their lottery pick this year. I know some think our team won't be as good if we move Marner but I think that's just stupid because if we can't be a good team with Matthews and Nylander up front and all that extra money spent on either depth or legit d men then we should get rid of all this core and just start a rebuild so we aren't wasting the next 5-8 years.

Reactions: TMLife17

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
If you're trading Mitch, you're looking at another team who's desperate for change. Teams that are close but keep screwing it up. Buffalo and Ottawa. I mentioned Chabot a few pages back. Ottawa can't keep both Chychrun and Chabot. One is gone. I'd take either one as part of a larger trade involving Mitch.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Walking as a UFA is the only thing that makes sense for a player who doesn’t want to leave.
Honest question:

With Marner’s thin skin, do you really think he survives an entire season of media queens scrutiny as to why he isn’t extended, particularly when he knows he can get his money somewhere else?

They will start speculating the moment he isn’t extended starting in July.

He will want out if told he’s not being extended.

Reactions: ToneDog

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If you're trading Mitch, you're looking at another team who's desperate for change. Teams that are close but keep screwing it up. Buffalo and Ottawa. I mentioned Chabot a few pages back. Ottawa can't keep both Chychrun and Chabot. One is gone. I'd take either one as part of a larger trade involving Mitch.

You're looking at what is likely a very short list of teams he's willing to waive his NMC for, which you can say with like 99% certainty won't include Ottawa or Buffalo.

Contenders, no tax state teams, sunny California teams, etc are likely what he's interested in. Not small markets that have been struggling for 5-10 years.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You're looking at what is likely a very short list of teams he's willing to waive his NMC for, which you can say with like 99% certainty won't include Ottawa or Buffalo.

Contenders, no tax state teams, sunny California teams, etc are likely what he's interested in. Not small markets that have been struggling for 5-10 years.
How many teams will pay him his ask? That is where he will take his disappearing act.

I'd take Owen Power but one can dream.

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
I feel like Utah would want to make a big move. Keller has been a mainstay for Arizona, perhaps they want a new face of the franchise. Would Marner waive if Utah offered the contract extension he is seeking?

Keller+Durzi for Marner+Liljegren

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we’re trading Marner, we need a top pairing D back. There’s no use trading him for forwards and spare parts. He’s our one chip we can use to get that guy we’ve always needed on the backend.
I'd take a young D, or young second pairing C... either would help us move forward.

Do you guys think Stamkos will want to sign a sweetheart hometown deal to play in Toronto this time around
Stamkos is very good at scoring goals, and on the PP when Kucherov is feeding him. He's not a good 5v5 player anymore. He was a combined -26 Playoffs and regular season for example... ya plus minus isn't a great stat, but it's indicative this time. You are probably better extending Tavares at $3 mil.....

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Brandt Clarke would be the guy I try and get. Big, 2-way right handed defenceman. I’d need more from LA but he’d be a perfect building block on the blueline.

Rielly - ________
McCabe - Clarke
Benoit - ________
Brandt Clarke would be a wonderful addition... but LA really doesn't have the cap room to do such a deal, without sending cap back. They'd probably want to send PLD along with Clarke, which is a deal killer IMO.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Don't waste any asset unless it's mobile D coming back. What a travesty on the backend for puck movement. You can get crushing dmen anytime you need them but you cant always find mobile d. just keep stockpiling assets until someone comes to pay for

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
EEIf you're trading Mitch, you're looking at another team who's desperate for change. Teams that are close but keep screwing it up. Buffalo and Ottawa. I mentioned Chabot a few pages back. Ottawa can't keep both Chychrun and Chabot. One is gone. I'd take either one as part of a larger trade involving Mitch.
NMC ting a bell, marner will choose where he wants to go!!!!!
WE will get pennies on the dollar but as will get cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad