Post-Game Talk: What’s left to complain about?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chiasson has been awesome, no complaints from me. I also understand that he is a great example of being a professional, which is still a good bonus on this fairly young team.

I'd add that McD / Drai are better now than when they played with Maroon, and playing with them will probably always take a special kind of talent/player. I am not that sure that a pure sniper is the best answer to be honest. They need someone who buys into the role he's playing, which is mostly without puck.

Right now it might look like Chiasson is just the fit. An important element being left out is that without Maroon both McD and Drai are absorbing huge punishment each game. Maroon was not only good on the topline, he was a convenient cop on the top line, He would also do more of the puck holding and waiting for things to open up and tougher on the forecheck than Chaisson is.

The kind of odd thing right now is that we have McDrai digging in corners for the puck getting hammered every game so that some of the best players in the game can do grunt work setting up a PTO.

Theres something in it that doesn't fit for me.

But as people have stated its a capped league and so on.

I think the biggest thing is that a player like Chiasson requires a McDrai whereas a Maroon could be proficient at times with just a Mcd. If that makes any sense.

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
I actually kind of like that commercial, at least the idea of it so maybe I am out to lunch but it is true the players are brutal in it.

Talbot is actually not bad in that commercial but Koskinen would have done way better.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Both Maroon and Chaison are the product of McDrai.

Both go to the net. Park if needed and wait for someone to bounce a puck off them. I think Maroon was slightly better at it than Chaison but it's close so who really cares.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Both Maroon and Chaison are the product of McDrai.

Both go to the net. Park if needed and wait for someone to bounce a puck off them. I think Maroon was slightly better at it than Chaison but it's close so who really cares.
not every player can be mcdcvid. there's talent in knowing where to go, be and react.

Reactions: RegDunlop

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
not every player can be mcdcvid. there's talent in knowing where to go, be and react.
So far Chaisson’s best skill has been his ability to find the soft spot in the defense and to be able to get a good shot off. Didnit multiple times last night as well. Part of the reason why I like him on the PP over Puljujarvi or Rattie right now as a RHS option.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I actually kind of like that commercial, at least the idea of it so maybe I am out to lunch but it is true the players are brutal in it.

Talbot is actually not bad in that commercial but Koskinen would have done way better.
The problem is you can't give a script to a hockey player. Could have just let them say "thanks" in their own way and it would come off less forced.

Reactions: Boom not bust

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Chaisson being the product of "McDrai" doesn't track since roughly half of his goals have come without an assist from McDavid or Draisaitl. He has this spot with them specifically because he was the only player scoring from the bottom six away from them.

His shooting percentage is through the roof. There is no good "reason" for him scoring tons of goals other than he's one of those players who steps in and everything goes right. It will not go right forever. That being said, I have no issues with this player at 12 goals and 25-30 points in the bottom six. There's no specific area of his game I think is weak (at least this year). He'll eventually need to be replaced in his current role.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sometimes this kind of thing can last for awhile, sometimes it stops on a dime. The most salient thing to consider is likely the shooting percentage, 30%. I'm not making these comments if he's in a more normative range but there is NO PLAYER in the entire NHL with 10 or more GP that has this high a scoring percentage. Which suggests a fair amount of luck is taking place. As I stated simply everything is going for him. Hockey can be like that sometimes.
With two of the top ten point guys in the NHL, luck or not he should keep piling up goals. He also had a nice, accurate shot which is perfect for mcdavid

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Chaisson being the product of "McDrai" doesn't track since roughly half of his goals have come without an assist from McDavid or Draisaitl. He has this spot with them specifically because he was the only player scoring from the bottom six away from them.

His shooting percentage is through the roof. There is no good "reason" for him scoring tons of goals other than he's one of those players who steps in and everything goes right. It will not go right forever. That being said, I have no issues with this player at 12 goals and 25-30 points in the bottom six. There's no specific area of his game I think is weak (at least this year). He'll eventually need to be replaced in his current role.

A large part of the reason for this is that he finds the spots in the very high danger areas which in and of itself will increase the shooting percentage. 90% of his goals come from within 10 feet of the net.
I am not suggesting that he will maintain that percentage but if he keeps finding those holes in a 10 foot radius around the net his shooting percentage is going to remain high.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
Lets give the player a little more credit here...more than 30% of Chaissons goals have come when he wasnt playing with McDavid.

How many did Maroon score when he wasnt on McDavids line?
It's true. Originally I actually didn't want Chiasson to be put on that line just because he was providing consistent scoring from the second line which has been very elusive .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's true. Originally I actually didn't want Chiasson to be put on that line just because he was providing consistent scoring from the second line which has been very elusive .

Valid point.
Jesse should be paying close attention to Chiasson....he could learn a lot from how smart Chiasson plays.
The team really needs Jesse to be that player on the 2nd line.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With two of the top ten point guys in the NHL, luck or not he should keep piling up goals. He also had a nice, accurate shot which is perfect for mcdavid

I certainly wouldn't think perfect. I barely think he's an acceptable player for topline.

I don't know too much about the player except his stint in Calgary where he wasn't much of a player. but his career shooting % is 13%, which is good, but a far cry from the current 30%. I mean if he's even shooting at usual percentage he's got 6 goals. I would say without some considerable luck he has around 8here.

In watching the plays I'm not convinced he's even picking spots. I'm having trouble escaping a feeling that this is just another lightning in a bottle player firing the puck at net and its just that its finding its way.

I mean we need the goals, great we're getting them, but this guy didn't even score this often in College hockey. At no point did this guy have a scoring resume. Last night he's setup perfect in the slot 5 times, nice we get a goal out of it but as I stated all teams have to do to our topline is just collapse in tight. There is no way Chiasson or anybody should be left wide open in the slot. The Flyers coverage on the goal was non existent.

I mean its great to be playing against some teams that absolutely suck.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Pretty chippy fella too. Not a banger like Maroon, and not much of a fighter, but he gives chops and doesn’t back down in scrums. A bit of a mix between Maroon and Eberle, but, cheaper than either.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
A large part of the reason for this is that he finds the spots in the very high danger areas which in and of itself will increase the shooting percentage. 90% of his goals come from within 10 feet of the net.
I am not suggesting that he will maintain that percentage but if he keeps finding those holes in a 10 foot radius around the net his shooting percentage is going to remain high.

There's no amount of right place/right time that accounts for 30% shooting though. He'll normalize to half that at most.

I'm not sure what his career number is, either. That's usually telling.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
If you can figure out a plan that avoids a freak achilles injury 2 weeks before training camp opens, I'd like to hear. I'm one of the biggest critics of Chia there is, I think he should have been fired 2 years ago, but I'm not sure how you plan for that as a GM. Then losing 2 of your remaining top-4 in the same game is also something rather hard to plan for.

One way would be to use some sort of analytical tool to see how many injuries each team sustains on a per year basis at all positions. With a 30 team sample size per year going back x amount of years you could correlate that to average injuries per year per position. you could use the mean amount of injuries to base your roster on. The tool could be tweaked after to add other data, but that would be my starting point to see how many typical man games you should lose per position to injury. Then if more players go down than average you have something to base poorer results on

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There's no amount of right place/right time that accounts for 30% shooting though. He'll normalize to half that at most.

I'm not sure what his career number is, either. That's usually telling.

I never said he would remain at 30% though. Just that if he continues as he has his shooting% will be higher than expected.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hitch made a pretty telling comment in his post game
Re: Koskinen and Talbot

"It seems like Talbs get more odd-man rushes than Kosky does, Kosky gets more in-zone play, and I think a lot of that is because when Talbs is there a lot of times we're chasing the game..."

He seems to get that Koskinen gives them a better chance to win. Thank God.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad