Post-Game Talk: What’s left to complain about?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chiasson is lightning in a bottle but Maroon was completely legit? I don’t understand your logic. The same thing that happened with Maroon here is happening with Chiasson.

I differentiated my thoughts already. Maroon is a physical player, strong on forecheck, hard hitter, very hard to play against, was very good cycling puck and protecting the puck. Chiasson is less good at those things. He's being a trigger, which is nice, and I do feel he's trying to do absolutely everything he can, which is nice, but he's no Maroon and he certainly doesn't erase the boat anchor that Chia hs longterm in Lucic that is supposed to be in this kind of role.

I understand that people can feel this is great value at his contract, it is, but the reality is the same GM signed Lucic and we have him parked in the spot that Chiasson was likely to be in. The Oilers as reports only had Chiasson as a PTO walk in for insurance if Upshall didn't make it. Given my opinions on Upshall I'm glad it turned out this way, I just don't credit Chiasson for being anything more than lucky on this one.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
If nothing else, I feel that Chiasson provides at least a script for success for the next in line. Whoever plays on that wing next should be watching a lot of his tape. Seems like a simple formula, make sure you are always, always ready for a pass and crowd the net to clean up the garbage.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chiasson only needs 13 goals the rest of the season to match maroon. I would take that bet any day of the week. I agree he’s scoring at a ludadris shooting percentage but it just seems to be that kind of year for him.

Sometimes this kind of thing can last for awhile, sometimes it stops on a dime. The most salient thing to consider is likely the shooting percentage, 30%. I'm not making these comments if he's in a more normative range but there is NO PLAYER in the entire NHL with 10 or more GP that has this high a scoring percentage. Which suggests a fair amount of luck is taking place. As I stated simply everything is going for him. Hockey can be like that sometimes.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I just don't credit Chiasson for being anything more than lucky on this one.
I took out most of your statement because I agree more or less with what you are saying. My only point would be that Chiasson does have good skill when it comes to finishing and quick hands in the slot. Some of it is luck, sure, but remember earlier in the year when Rattie would get a golden opportunity every game and never be able to finish?

I would agree that it is some luck, but in order to be lucky he still has to put himself in the right position at all times.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'm not making these comments if he's in a more normative range but there is NO PLAYER in the entire NHL with 10 or more GP that has this high a scoring percentage
Of course it’s high. I think everyone understands that. But since we’re doing lead wide comparisons, how many players in the NHL have TWO players like McDavid and Draisaitl setting the table for them every night? The quality of passes there might influence shooting percentage.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Since the advent of PVR, I haven't watched commercials during a hockey game, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Of course it’s high. I think everyone understands that. But since we’re doing lead wide comparisons, how many players in the NHL have TWO players like McDavid and Draisaitl setting the table for them every night? The quality of passes there might influence shooting percentage.

That's fair. But the quality of McD and Drai together obviously deserve a premium, elite finisher. Chiasson is a stop gap, a desperation ploy by a GM foisting an incomplete lineup. NOTHING against the player, just that rather than being a sniper up there we have flavor of the day player up there just seemingly rotating in. I don't see a gameplan in the lineup or roster beyond what is working temporarily.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's fair. But the quality of McD and Drai together obviously deserve a premium, elite finisher. Chiasson is a stop gap, a desperation ploy by a GM foisting an incomplete lineup. NOTHING against the player, just that rather than being a sniper up there we have flavor of the day player up there just seemingly rotating in. I don't see a gameplan in the lineup or roster beyond what is working temporarily.
A 12.5 and 8.5m player on 1 line, will never have an elite finisher. You do know how the salary cap works right.

Reactions: TB12

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I differentiated my thoughts already. Maroon is a physical player, strong on forecheck, hard hitter, very hard to play against, was very good cycling puck and protecting the puck. Chiasson is less good at those things. He's being a trigger, which is nice, and I do feel he's trying to do absolutely everything he can, which is nice, but he's no Maroon and he certainly doesn't erase the boat anchor that Chia hs longterm in Lucic that is supposed to be in this kind of role.

I understand that people can feel this is great value at his contract, it is, but the reality is the same GM signed Lucic and we have him parked in the spot that Chiasson was likely to be in. The Oilers as reports only had Chiasson as a PTO walk in for insurance if Upshall didn't make it. Given my opinions on Upshall I'm glad it turned out this way, I just don't credit Chiasson for being anything more than lucky on this one.
Chiasson is also big and strong on the puck. Good on the cycle and skates way better than Maroon. Maroon has 5 goals in 46 games since leaving Edmonton. It’s the exact same situation.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I had goaltending and coaching as the two main reasons the Oilers fell apart. McLellan was very clearly a huge problem. Had well earned success in 2016-2017 by doing X Y and Z. When the league changed and the team was scouted/struggled... X Y Z clearly didn't work. So painfully obvious X Y Z was failing epically. Yet he just kept doing X Y Z, over and over.

But two things need to be said.

First, McLellan deserves major credit for building the team/systems up. He is not a bad coach just not a great coach either. Has been proven to have significant gaps in his ability to adapt and adjust. BUT is 1000 times better than Eakins. More like one of the Oilers better coaches than worst. While I wouldn't hire him if I had a contender but I would if I was a team rebuilding. Or even a team just needing a change for a year or two tops.

Second, Chiarelli needs some serious praise. McLellan took the team to one disallowed goal of a conference finals in 2 short years from worst in the league. Was coaching terrible but had a great start with a bad schedule. I think many GMs would have just kept a proven coach like McLellan and just hoped. He correctly identified that McLellan was a big part of the problem and brought in a even more proven coach in Hitchcock.

It's way too early to say playoffs are a given but Chiarelli is the main person responsible for the team turning it around and currently being in a playoff spot.

Much like Mac T was the main person responsible for hiring Eakins and taking a bad team and somehow making them worse.
Agreed

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A 12.5 and 8.5m player on 1 line, will never have an elite finisher. You do know how the salary cap works right.

This is false economy for the reason I have stated. We could afford to be having a reliable finish guy on that line. Just that we're paying Lucic 6M bucks longterm to be an energy dope in bottomsix. Trying to bury him so far in the lineup that his lack of competence looks less heinous.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

McDrai is the best duo in the NHL and no other duo comes even close to them passing wise. Chasser just needs to go to the net, get open, and get it off his stick quick. Both McDavid and Drai draw more than 1 player each time so he is generally wide open. Not too difficult to see why his shooting percent is high, the guy has all the time in the world and generally a goalie who is moving after being square to McDavid or Drai.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

Chiasson is a much better skater and much more responsible defensively than Maroon. He's also a capable board player and certainly isn't bad on the cycle. Maroon was a legitimate defensive liability for us last year. I don't have all that much faith that he'd particularly useful to the team as he is at the moment.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chiasson is also big and strong on the puck. Good on the cycle and skates way better than Maroon. Maroon has 5 goals in 46 games since leaving Edmonton. It’s the exact same situation.

I don't agree that Chiasson is good on the cycle, he is not a good passer or puck possession player. Maroon was very good at retaining the puck using his large frame. But good post and thanks for responding.

Maroon is in STL. That org has gone completely sideways and players giving up. Its a hard situation there in which to evaluate. Blues don't always utilize players as they could.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I don't agree that Chiasson is good on the cycle, he is not a good passer or puck possession player. Maroon was very good at retaining the puck using his large frame. But good post and thanks for responding.

Maroon is in STL. That org has gone completely sideways and players giving up. Its a hard situation there in which to evaluate. Blues don't always utilize players as they could.

Maroon is too slow imo. Also, Chiasson is way better on the PP and in front of the net. Chiasson is also right handed and has a better shot. I just don't see how Maroon is an upgrade on Chiasson. And I like the look at the other 3 lines too currently and we should we keep the line-up that is 9-2-2 and try not to mess with it u know.

Chiasson is doing good this season because he is finding open space when defenders are usually double teaming either McD and Drai. Its a good thing right now for this team and moving forward.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

McDavid and Drai need to be the elite finishers (10th and 16th in NHL goal scoring, so I guess they are doing not bad so far :) ). They need a guy that is doing exactly what Chaisson is doing to compliment them, someone that can grind things out around the net and along the boards, and not be a total choker when he does get a chance to put a puck in the net. Chia or whoever the GM is needs to keep finding Maroon's and Chaisson's.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
This is false economy for the reason I have stated. We could afford to be having a reliable finish guy on that line. Just that we're paying Lucic 6M bucks longterm to be an energy dope in bottomsix. Trying to bury him so far in the lineup that his lack of competence looks less heinous.

Ya, but we are stuck with Lucic though. Let's get back into reality here.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

I don’t see many problems in the offensive zone with these 3 together, things are fine there. It’s in our own zone that things seem to fall apart, they sometimes get hemmed in for long stretches and things go from bad to worse. Clean that up and this line will really be a force

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Chiasson has been awesome, no complaints from me. I also understand that he is a great example of being a professional, which is still a good bonus on this fairly young team.

I'd add that McD / Drai are better now than when they played with Maroon, and playing with them will probably always take a special kind of talent/player. I am not that sure that a pure sniper is the best answer to be honest. They need someone who buys into the role he's playing, which is mostly without puck.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Mcdavid scored 40 last year and mught get 50 this year. He is an elite finisher. Draisaitl will get 30+ this year which is close to elite. Whatever the third guy does is just gravy.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad