Post-Game Talk: What’s left to complain about?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know we shit on Chia a lot but he has done some good things for the team. It's just when he makes a bad move, it's a really bad move. I won't put the Reinhart trade on him but he probably should have pushed harder to not make that trade if he wasn't comfortable with it. Hall for Larsson opinions will change every year based on Hall's play and Jersey's team success, Eberle trade needed to happen but could have been put on hold for an extra year, same with the Pouliot buy out.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
but they didn't...they had essentially Hall

Eberle's trade value is vastly overrated...no one is lining up to take a soft, one-dimensional winger at 6 million
Even Hall's value had plummeted due to the stink of failure in this organization

I've said since the beginning the Reinhart trade was awful and crippled the franchise
and yes Lucic was a major failure but other teams do it all the time...look at Calgary with Brouwer and now James Neal...those mistakes can be covered with good drafting and winning
heck Boston regrets signing Backes but doesn't get noticed as much

Yes, I get it, you think nothing on the Oilers had any value and Chiarelli did better than expected despite being gifted a team with four first overalls including the best player to be drafted in a decade. I'm familiar after you've continued your defence of him wherever anyone on HFOil might besmirch his name.

If it's so hard to get value for soft forwards on a bad team and struggling prospects, why was Buffalo actually able to make moves for their useless picks? Why did Duchene actually have value? Even Florida, despite going into total chaos due to ownership, has been able to pick up and trade significant pieces over the years. But here in Edmonton it's just 'aw gee it's just the price you gotta pay!'.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Talbot was more of a gift from Sather than anything. Can't give Chia cred for that one.

It's Chia's signature on the trade. He gets responsibility for all trades.
As it looks like Talbot will be the odd man out, it will be interesting to see what he can recoup from him.
Kind of like the Maroon trade. Get him for a 4th and junk, use him a couple years, then move him for a 3rd and junk.

Reactions: harpoon

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's Chia's signature on the trade. He gets responsibility for all trades.
As it looks like Talbot will be the odd man out, it will be interesting to see what he can recoup from him.
Kind of like the Maroon trade. Get him for a 4th and junk, use him a couple years, then move him for a 3rd and junk.
they got Maroon for Marody

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If it's so hard to get value for soft forwards on a bad team and struggling prospects, why was Buffalo actually able to make moves for their useless picks? Why did Duchene actually have value? Even Florida, despite going into total chaos due to ownership, has been able to pick up and trade significant pieces over the years. But here in Edmonton it's just 'aw gee it's just the price you gotta pay!'.
Duchene is a better player than Eberle...he's a center, has tons of speed and on pace for like 90 points this year...oh ya, he's played in the Olympics
and other than letting Marshessault and Smith walk for nothing, who has Florida traded and how is their team doing these days?
Buffalo trades good players too like O'Reilly...and haven't made the playoffs in like 6 years

bad examples

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'll take that trade off any day of the week if it gets me Connor McDavid.
No doubt Mcdavid was obviously a home run. Doesn’t change the fact the 3 other consecutive #1 picks were hands down the worst 3 consecutive first picks in recent history. Like we picked the worst possible time to be that bad.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
what's somewhat worrying is that Oilers are getting outshot nearly every game, even the ones they're winning.

Not really, the team has been vastly outshot in the 3rd periods of the past 3 games. Given they are nearly running on empty (8 games in 14 days plus travel) and missing 2 of their top 4 D, the shot totals in the 3rd are understandable. And we have Kostko, which doesn't let in pucks unless you have a membership. And he doesn't give those out very easily.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Duchene is a better player than Eberle...he's a center, has tons of speed and on pace for like 90 points this year...oh ya, he's played in the Olympics
and other than letting Marshessault and Smith walk for nothing, who has Florida traded and how is their team doing these days?
Buffalo trades good players too like O'Reilly...and haven't made the playoffs in like 6 years

bad examples

Buffalo managed to pick up an actual top end player in ROR in the first place using picks and prospects. Duchene was on his way to repeated career lows, looked slow, disinterested and had way more 'cancer in the locker room stink' than any of our players ever had. I purposefully picked organizations that have been as bad as the Oilers making moves that were better than Chiarelli to show how wrong the idea that it's impossible to get value for players on a bad team is. I'm not going trade by trade because it's the same thing with you every time. People throw example after example and you just go 'nope our guys were worse! Nope Edmonton can't attract that kind of player!'

There's always an excuse for Chiarelli for some bizarre reason. I'm not sure what he's paying you but I hope it's at least worth all the time wasted defending his sorry ass on here.

I'll save the rest to stop polluting the post game with the same arguments but Chiarelli or whoever finally replaces him will be working for years to fix his mistakes.

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Excuse me for making a post trying to acknowledge a player who is having a fantastic season.

I can’t believe you posted that he missed the net 21 times as if you think I actually thought he never misses. Let me rephrase so as to allow for your nitpicking ... ‘Chiasson is getting his stick on almost every puck puck that comes to him in front of the net. Due to his excellent body and stick positioning he is able to get a shot away in almost every case.’

As for Maroon ... his best season here (and of his life obviously) he scored 27, in 81 games. Chiasson is already more than half way there and he’s only played 27 games for the Oilers. It’s phenomenal, and really, if you don’t mind me saying, a shame that you can’t enjoy it because you are hung up on 21 misses and an unsustainable shooting %.

You stated you admired how he gets so many shots on target and that he rarely misses. Its nothing of the sort.

The fact is he doesn't get many shots on goal, only 44 before last night, and he it isn't the case as you stated that he "rarely misses". That's the only reason I stated he has 21 misses. In other words missing 1/3 of his shots from close in.

Read back your posts and see what I'm responding to.

I have no difficulty enjoying that he is scoring, I don't expect it to continue. Is that difficult to follow?

I'd be quite surprised if he tops Maroons Number of goals in a season. Regardless of the current pace he is on.

Finally, my reaction, not to your posts, but to what was expressed by others, is that Chia should get major credit for hitting a home run with this player. I don't subscribe to that at all. The Oilers didn't even plan to start or utilize Chiasson. He was a backup plant PTO in case Upshall did not work out. Its not like the org knew they had some diamond in the rough here. He was just another player they brought in. Theres lightning in a bottle on all accounts. Sometimes it happens.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes he could use some love. Been very good.

You quote the guy and then spend three posts trashing Chiasson. I see you have chosen a new target. In a 4-1 win where he scored a goal no less.

I have nothing against Chiasson. Just that he's the latest Fernando Pisani, lightning in a bottle. But knock yourself out in assumptions, I won't be reading them.

Bye now.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have nothing against Chiasson. Just that he's the latest Fernando Pisani, lightning in a bottle. But knock yourself out in assumptions, I won't be reading them.

Bye now.
Chiasson is lightning in a bottle but Maroon was completely legit? I don’t understand your logic. The same thing that happened with Maroon here is happening with Chiasson.

Reactions: TB12 and belair

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
He called Caleb Jones McDavid
He called Kevin Gravel Ethan Bear
Yesterday he said 'Great save by Rantanen!"

Along with his voice that puts people to sleep, it's time to move on from Kevin Quinn

I actually fond it very funny now because I'm waiting for it!
It amuses me (and I think a lot of other posters too!) and give me another dimension when watching the game.
I seriously burst out laughing with the 'Eathan Bear' yesterday!

On that note- not sure if it's been done or not - but I'm thinking about starting my first thread with everyone posting all the srew ups he has (or anyone else) during the game broadcast. I think it would be very funny especially with this boards stinging sense of humor.
Any interest in this?

Reactions: nally

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You stated you admired how he gets so many shots on target and that he rarely misses. Its nothing of the sort.

The fact is he doesn't get many shots on goal, only 44 before last night, and he it isn't the case as you stated that he "rarely misses". That's the only reason I stated he has 21 misses. In other words missing 1/3 of his shots from close in.

I have no difficulty enjoying that he is scoring, I don't expect it to continue. Is that difficult to follow?

I'd be quite surprised if he tops Maroons Number of goals in a season. Regardless of the current pace he is on.

Finally, my reaction, not to your posts, but to what was expressed by others, is that Chia should get major credit for hitting a home run with this player. I don't subscribe to that at all. The Oilers didn't even plan to start or utilize Chiasson. He was a backup plant PTO in case Upshall did not work out. Its not like the org knew they had some diamond in the rough here. He was just another player they brought in. Theres lightning in a bottle on all accounts. Sometimes it happens.
Chiasson only needs 13 goals the rest of the season to match maroon. I would take that bet any day of the week. I agree he’s scoring at a ludadris shooting percentage but it just seems to be that kind of year for him.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Ugh I keep seeing complaints about drasaitl and Lucic in the Pepsi commercial but are you guys forgetting how Adam Larsson is faking his smile and even talks like he is irked? Lol

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I actually think the Oilers play better when they are going every other day. The rhythm seems to help them although you can tell in the last periods of games the past few we have been gassed at times.
We have to plow through the next 2 Sunday and Tuesday before we have a small break before the Tampa game and then get in a good rest at Christmas break. Keep the team away from whatever they did last Christmas break as they were a tire fire when they came off the break last year.

You could be right. In 16/17 I thought that schedule after the world cup would kill us. We played an insane amount of hockey in the first 3 months, only trailing Winnipeg for difficulty, and the guys battled through it and came out stronger on the other side.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Actually that’s not what I stated. I said ‘he almost always gets his shot away’. So I actually did quantify by saying ‘almost’ and I used the word ‘away’, not the phrase ‘on target’ which I’m sure you’ll agree is something different entirely. What I wanted to compliment him on was his body and stick positioning more than anything. And the way he is able to front up to the goal and get his stick on some pretty difficult passes coming into the slot. Anyway, @McFuhryous said it better later in the thread.
Now that I have read back, I’m more puzzled as to why you decided to jump all over my post with your 21 misses. Maybe it’s you who needs to read back through the exchange?

Reactions: TB12 and LaGu

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
1st game for me this year at Rogers last night, fairly tame game....beer lines seem to have gotten longer and slower than last year it seems.
Felt nervous for Jones after his first shift, as you could definitely see the nerves...now that he has his 1st out of the way, I hope he starts to believe he belongs up here.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
One thing we can all agree on:
MANCRUSH ON HITCH
Herbert The Pervert 15122018122246.jpg

Reactions: Yablo21

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hey I have something to complain about.
That stupid Pepsi commercial, so terrible.

I went through a decade of failure with this team, but nothing from that period made me feel more shame about being an Oilers fan than that commercial :)

Larsson's part about Hunter...that was seriously the best take they got? ugh.

Really hope they stop showing that commercial soon.

Reactions: Yablo21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad