Post-Game Talk: What’s left to complain about?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Right now it might look like Chiasson is just the fit. An important element being left out is that without Maroon both McD and Drai are absorbing huge punishment each game. Maroon was not only good on the topline, he was a convenient cop on the top line, He would also do more of the puck holding and waiting for things to open up and tougher on the forecheck than Chaisson is.

The kind of odd thing right now is that we have McDrai digging in corners for the puck getting hammered every game so that some of the best players in the game can do grunt work setting up a PTO.

Theres something in it that doesn't fit for me.

But as people have stated its a capped league and so on.

I think the biggest thing is that a player like Chiasson requires a McDrai whereas a Maroon could be proficient at times with just a Mcd. If that makes any sense.
But Chiasson scored goals to earn himself the spot on the Drai/McD line. The top line promotion didn’t just fall out of the sky.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But Chiasson scored goals to earn himself the spot on the Drai/McD line. The top line promotion didn’t just fall out of the sky.

Oh for sure. Chiasson is a nice story. He has earned it, he has worked his way up.

The sad thing though, on an Oilers lineup, is how easy it actually is to do that, and conversely its sad that players like lucic, Pulju, that are supposed to be in the spots can't seem to do much of anything when they get the chances.

A positive, that I stated in another thread, is that Chiasson body of work should be used as a reference point for other players on this team to find away to focus and contribute results. One can't argue Chiasson is bringing results.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Coke is more popular but Pepsi is still everywhere here. Pepsi tastes better anyways :)

This for the W.

Its a really odd thing. Coke advertising shapes consumer habit while Pepsi in pretty much any taste test tastes better. This was never more pronounced then when Coke went with their new formula. Coke often tastes too sweet (so I now do zero if I drink Coke at all) and Pepsi also has good diet products. Pepsi just tastes more interesting. Has a bit more nuance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So far this season that hasn’t been true. I mentioned this in the pulju thread, but chiasson has been scoring goals no matter where he’s been playing this year. Had 10 goals in 17 games before he started playing on the top line with McDavid.

They are different players for sure. Maroon was certainly better along the boards, more physical and a better passer. But he could never get open and shoot the puck like chiasson has demonstrated the ability to do so far.

Of course odds are it dries up at some point. He’s not going for to shoot at 30+% forever. But he deserves a lot of credit for what he’s been able to get done.

Meanwhile, maroon might unfortunately be playing himself out of the league.

Fair comment. I'm reassessing like Spock in response. What you state does compute. ;)

jk aside my issue as always is with Chia and a lack of topsix players we have at our disposal, not with Chiasson specifically. Its good that he's carefully thought about what he needed to work on in offseason and that he's found a role here. Its pretty uncanny to me actually what is going on. But runs tend to be that. The Maroon thing was odd in that the run lasted more than one season. Maroon was hot when he played here the last 6wks of a season, then hot the entire next season, and still fairly good last season. From an EV scoring pov Maroon was always good here.

I can't say derinitively whats going on for Maroon now. Theres some other stuff, off ice stuff. He's complicated and his life is a bit complicated. I won't go into more on the thread. But on the ice a Patrick Maroon is somebody that is different on a winning team, vs a team that is clearly out of it. His mojo works much better with winning.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
This for the W.

Its a really odd thing. Coke advertising shapes consumer habit while Pepsi in pretty much any taste test tastes better. This was never more pronounced then when Coke went with their new formula. Coke often tastes too sweet (so I now do zero if I drink Coke at all) and Pepsi also has good diet products. Pepsi just tastes more interesting. Has a bit more nuance.

Malcolm Gladwell explains this in his book Blink:the power of thinking without thinking
"Pepsi is sweeter than Coke, so right away it had a big advantage in a sip test. Pepsi is also characterized by a citrusy flavor burst, unlike the more raisiny-vanilla taste of Coke. But that burst tends to dissipate over the course of an entire can. Pepsi, in short, is a drink built to shine in a sip test."

After the initial sip, noone wants to drink it anymore....then rightfully goes for a can of Coke.

Reactions: SnooPac

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Malcolm Gladwell explains this in his book Blink:the power of thinking without thinking
"Pepsi is sweeter than Coke, so right away it had a big advantage in a sip test. Pepsi is also characterized by a citrusy flavor burst, unlike the more raisiny-vanilla taste of Coke. But that burst tends to dissipate over the course of an entire can. Pepsi, in short, is a drink built to shine in a sip test."

After the initial sip, noone wants to drink it anymore....then rightfully goes for a can of Coke.

heh, first of all I kind of love that we're allowed to talk about stuff like this in dead threads. Don't need to have an OT thread for everytopic. If a convo just springs up, good.

It isn't my perception that Pepsi is sweeter, just more tones. Yes, citrus hint. This appeals to certain tastes. On the other hand raisin-vanilla is something, at least to me, that I like, but which is limited. That it perceptively tastes too sweet. I like a bit of it, not a lot of it.

I guess it goes into habit consumption. Myself I would NEVER have more than one can of soda in a sitting unless I was feeding dark rum into it...(in which case I use coke zero) So for me the one can taste test is pretty much enough, thus liking Pepsi. I can't comprehend people drinking say half a dozen pop in a row. drink some water. ;)

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
heh, first of all I kind of love that we're allowed to talk about stuff like this in dead threads. Don't need to have an OT thread for everytopic. If a convo just springs up, good.

It isn't my perception that Pepsi is sweeter, just more tones. Yes, citrus hint. This appeals to certain tastes. On the other hand raisin-vanilla is something, at least to me, that I like, but which is limited. That it perceptively tastes too sweet. I like a bit of it, not a lot of it.

I guess it goes into habit consumption. Myself I would NEVER have more than one can of soda in a sitting unless I was feeding dark rum into it...(in which case I use coke zero) So for me the one can taste test is pretty much enough, thus liking Pepsi. I can't comprehend people drinking say half a dozen pop in a row. drink some water. ;)

I stopped drinking Soda quite a few years back, but my house was divided....I like Coke, and my wife likes Pepsi.
They always say "Happy wife, Happy life"...except I chose this hill to die on when we did purchase colas back when....
Coke won out in my house.

If I do happen to have a soft drink now, it's Canada Drai

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This for the W.

Nonsense. Pepsi objectively tastes worse. Sweeter and more bland. I used to do the Pepsi taste challenge and without fail would be able to tell which was the superior coke.

Reactions: SnooPac

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't drink much pop anymore, but I was a Pepsi guy. Coke is better in mixed drinks though.

I always found I got a dry mouth feeling from drinking Coke.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am a diet/zero person, good or not I've gone too far to go back again. The only non-diet softdrink I still can bear is Coke tbh even though I only drink it "by misstake" (like if a streward/ess gives hears me wrong on a flight).

Interesting about the Pepsi taste test, that is a good explanation and, even though I haven't source checked it, I think I'll stick with it :nod:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nonsense. Pepsi objectively tastes worse. Sweeter and more bland. I used to do the Pepsi taste challenge and without fail would be able to tell which was the superior coke.
Those taste tests were so stupid. There was a distinct difference between Coke and Pepsi and people just picked the one they normally drank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad