Post-Game Talk: What’s left to complain about?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Yea McDavid isn’t really the most charismatic guy and that’s a huge understatement lol
h2su4hk.png

can't have everything

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
Hitch made a pretty telling comment in his post game
Re: Koskinen and Talbot

"It seems like Talbs get more odd-man rushes than Kosky does, Kosky gets more in-zone play, and I think a lot of that is because when Talbs is there a lot of times we're chasing the game..."

He seems to get that Koskinen gives them a better chance to win. Thank God.
Hitch is right, I think it was the Colorado game a couple of games back where Colorado was all over the Oilers the first 10 minutes and Koskinen made several big saves and didn't give up anything, Talbot would have gave up 1 or 2 and that is a completely different game.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
its strange, you guys seem to disappear when hes stinking up the joint, but as soon as he needs to step up (because our real number one is hurt) and plays decent, u guys come out to gloat. Where are u guys when he keeps icing the puck over and over randomly. Where are u guys when he loses his man and we get scored on. Where are you guys when he skates it into the zone and makes an incredible low iq play or just lets a weak one go into the goalies crest?

Stop harping on this "rule" especially when u disappear the other 80% when he sucks

The reverse can be said as well. When he makes a great play or has a great game, many posters still only see or focus and comment on the negatives. He's a polarizing guy amongst the fan base.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers have been winning because it's a result of Hitch making them play playoffs hockey against pretenders. Once playoffs come we will be 5 months ahead of schedule. No adjustments needed

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I certainly wouldn't think perfect. I barely think he's an acceptable player for topline.

I don't know too much about the player except his stint in Calgary where he wasn't much of a player. but his career shooting % is 13%, which is good, but a far cry from the current 30%. I mean if he's even shooting at usual percentage he's got 6 goals. I would say without some considerable luck he has around 8here.

In watching the plays I'm not convinced he's even picking spots. I'm having trouble escaping a feeling that this is just another lightning in a bottle player firing the puck at net and its just that its finding its way.

I mean we need the goals, great we're getting them, but this guy didn't even score this often in College hockey. At no point did this guy have a scoring resume. Last night he's setup perfect in the slot 5 times, nice we get a goal out of it but as I stated all teams have to do to our topline is just collapse in tight. There is no way Chiasson or anybody should be left wide open in the slot. The Flyers coverage on the goal was non existent.

I mean its great to be playing against some teams that absolutely suck.
Stop eating those curmudgeon cookies and enjoy what Chiasson has brought this year , he was a young veteran on a pto and playing like someone who wants to stay in the NHL and not be playing in europe next season

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Right now it might look like Chiasson is just the fit. An important element being left out is that without Maroon both McD and Drai are absorbing huge punishment each game. Maroon was not only good on the topline, he was a convenient cop on the top line, He would also do more of the puck holding and waiting for things to open up and tougher on the forecheck than Chaisson is.

The kind of odd thing right now is that we have McDrai digging in corners for the puck getting hammered every game so that some of the best players in the game can do grunt work setting up a PTO.

Theres something in it that doesn't fit for me.

But as people have stated its a capped league and so on.

I think the biggest thing is that a player like Chiasson requires a McDrai whereas a Maroon could be proficient at times with just a Mcd. If that makes any sense.
Nobody is suggesting Chiasson be signed to a long term contract unlike the many who were suggesting Maroon be given one before last season. Some wanted him signed for seven years. Last thing we needed was another boat anchor contract. Let the team ride Chiasson as long as they can even if it means they need to find another guy to fill that role next year. Most of us understood after McDavid and Draisaitl reupped for what they did that it was going to be a revolving door of cheap wingers for a while.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

"It seems like Talbs get more odd-man rushes than Kosky does, Kosky gets more in-zone play, and I think a lot of that is because when Talbs is there a lot of times we're chasing the game..."

The comment about usually chasing the game when Talbot is in the net is pretty telling.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Off topic but I'm starting to notice some similarities from some of you and members of OilersNation, The Oil Drop and Edmonton Oiler Diehards. Don't worry. You're identity is safe with me lol.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Right now it might look like Chiasson is just the fit. An important element being left out is that without Maroon both McD and Drai are absorbing huge punishment each game. Maroon was not only good on the topline, he was a convenient cop on the top line, He would also do more of the puck holding and waiting for things to open up and tougher on the forecheck than Chaisson is.

The kind of odd thing right now is that we have McDrai digging in corners for the puck getting hammered every game so that some of the best players in the game can do grunt work setting up a PTO.

Theres something in it that doesn't fit for me.

But as people have stated its a capped league and so on.

I think the biggest thing is that a player like Chiasson requires a McDrai whereas a Maroon could be proficient at times with just a Mcd. If that makes any sense.

Yet you want an elite finisher or sniper on the line. If he's elite, wouldn't he just get hammered as well in the corners dogging pucks out? I mean someone had to!

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Geez didn’t hold back there. Accurate but wowza.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
and here i was worried hitch was trying to pump the tires on trade bait.
I wouldn’t trade him. I doubt you’d get much and we’ve got nobody else ready to take his spot. He’s certainly capable of playing well enough to be a reliable back up. If he still had more than this season left on his contract then maybe but that would be the only reason for me.

Reactions: VainGretzky

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
not every player can be mcdcvid. there's talent in knowing where to go, be and react.

And that's where a coach like Hitch comes in. I agree with the sentiment of Maroon up on line but Chaisson is just find. In a heavy game, I'd expect Hitch to place JJ or Lucic there if needed for a couple of shifts. Or even Kass if it's a speed game.
That's why I've always like KH. Not because of his defensive systems but because of his ability to adapt.

Reactions: VainGretzky

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I certainly wouldn't think perfect. I barely think he's an acceptable player for topline.

I don't know too much about the player except his stint in Calgary where he wasn't much of a player. but his career shooting % is 13%, which is good, but a far cry from the current 30%. I mean if he's even shooting at usual percentage he's got 6 goals. I would say without some considerable luck he has around 8here.

In watching the plays I'm not convinced he's even picking spots. I'm having trouble escaping a feeling that this is just another lightning in a bottle player firing the puck at net and its just that its finding its way.

I mean we need the goals, great we're getting them, but this guy didn't even score this often in College hockey. At no point did this guy have a scoring resume. Last night he's setup perfect in the slot 5 times, nice we get a goal out of it but as I stated all teams have to do to our topline is just collapse in tight. There is no way Chiasson or anybody should be left wide open in the slot. The Flyers coverage on the goal was non existent.

I mean its great to be playing against some teams that absolutely suck.

Agree on playes past part. I originally judged him only as I saw in Cslgary.
But they could have been in turmoil or whatever or else he just never felt comfortable there.its not like hes 35 years old or anything. We are probably seeing his peak right now and of course we all know he cant sustain. But when he falls back to earth, I would bet that he'd be a more than adequate third line W with ability to step up when needed.
I dont think you are giving him any benefit.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The comment about usually chasing the game when Talbot is in the net is pretty telling.

You could tell the wheels were spinning in his head leading up to the comment and when he finally said it he instantly regretted it lol.

Reactions: LaGu

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I went through a decade of failure with this team, but nothing from that period made me feel more shame about being an Oilers fan than that commercial :)

Larsson's part about Hunter...that was seriously the best take they got? ugh.

Really hope they stop showing that commercial soon.
If we shame them, they will go. Like those Messier McDavid commercials that 1260 make fun of incessantly!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Does anyone even drink Pepsi anymore?

Haven't seen Pepsi in ages, they had a good run 15-25 years ago but now in Europe they seem all but gone.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

Haven't seen Pepsi in ages, they had a good run 15-25 years ago but now in Europe they seem all but gone.
Coke is more popular but Pepsi is still everywhere here. Pepsi tastes better anyways :)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Pepsi is quite popular here, I know I prefer it myself.

Does European Coke have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it? I know in Mexico they use sugar cane and it tastes way way better than what we get in Canada or the US.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Pepsi is quite popular here, I know I prefer it myself.

Does European Coke have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it? I know in Mexico they use sugar cane and it tastes way way better than what we get in Canada or the US.
Could be, I have no idea really. I don't drink it that often to be honest. I am more of a beer/wine person than soft drinks. :cheers:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So far this season that hasn’t been true. I mentioned this in the pulju thread, but chiasson has been scoring goals no matter where he’s been playing this year. Had 10 goals in 17 games before he started playing on the top line with McDavid.

They are different players for sure. Maroon was certainly better along the boards, more physical and a better passer. But he could never get open and shoot the puck like chiasson has demonstrated the ability to do so far.

Of course odds are it dries up at some point. He’s not going for to shoot at 30+% forever. But he deserves a lot of credit for what he’s been able to get done.

Meanwhile, maroon might unfortunately be playing himself out of the league.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad