Pre-Game Talk: Western Conference Finals - Series Discussion (Bring on the Avs!)

Series prediction?

• Avalanche in 4

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Avalanche in 5

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Avalanche in 6

Votes: 45 15.8%
  • Avalanche in 7

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Oilers in 7

Votes: 80 28.2%
  • Oilers in 6

Votes: 110 38.7%
  • Oilers in 5

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Oilers in 4

Votes: 10 3.5%

• Total voters

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Based on my response to the 'what makes a successful year's I can't even be mad if we lose this one. Hopefully that makes me more relaxed.
I'd be upset but the Oil basically rose from the ashes mid-season to get to this point and that's just remarkable. They overcame a lot and I can appreciate and be proud of them just for that .
Although winning a cup now would be very special , almost dream-like, and I've been through 9 of them . Four with 70s/MTL and Five with 80s/EDM .That was so so long ago though and those teams were expected to win. Having a Cup now would be a totally unexpected shock./surprise that I'd never imagine happening with this Holland- constructed team.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think their are 2 avenues we can go down in an attempt to win the series:

1) The first pound the crap out of their young D hitting at every available opportunity, hope we can draw out the series long and they begin to wilt. I'm thinking the AV's D is good enough to not falter, but sometimes you don't know till you try.

2) The second option I feel is entirely dependent on how healthy Drai is, I'm not sure Drai is healthy enough to assume C duties again, but if he is I do feel we have an advantage down the middle.

If we ran our lines like the CGY series I think our top loaded line McDrai line has a slight edge on the top loaded MacKinnon line, but I'm fairly certain the Kadri line would eat up the RNH line and despite how well McLeod played I'm not confident McLeod wins against the Compher line.

If we roll with McDavid, Drai, RNH, and McLeod down the middle I think we could possibly do light bleeding on the 1st line match-up and then handily win the 2nd and 3rd line match-ups obviously D matters as well and the advantage AVs have on D might wash out the advantages we have on forward, but I think this would be our best bet at exploiting their roster weaknesses. Also if we aren't going with a checking gameplan we might be able to sneak in Brassard or Holloway for more offensive punch on the 4th line.

Reactions: BudBundy

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
There is something special with this team. I don’t even know how to explain it.

I think we match up well against the Avs. When they come to Edmonton that building is going to be loud and hostile as ****.

The guys need to come out flying and achieve their destiny here. Driven to the point of a belief that it’s a divine purpose, that’s how bad they need to want this.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
So... something I've noticed with Kuemper in the St. Louis series that may or may not be a weakness. He seems to let in a lot of goals high blocker side. Both St. Louis goals tonight were scored there and 3 of the 5 on Wednesday. It could just be a small sample size thing, but we did completely abuse Markstrom glove side on lateral movements. Maybe there's a chink in the armor there for Kuemper?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I never realized Avs fans had so little confidence in Kuemper. They have like zero belief in their guy. Let’s be the smarter, better fanbase please and support OUR guy.

Smith steals this in Roloson like fashion! Let’s go!!!
I guess you and many others have not watched Kuemper play. He's worse than Markstrom. The only reason why the Avs are in this is because they are a high octane and puck possession team. Lots of shots are coming from the perimeter. Look at who the Avs faced so far, neither the Predators or Blues have lethal weapons like McDavid, Kane and Draisaitl. Blues have one Tarasenko but he has done a whole lot of nothing.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Oilers Avs

GPG 4.33 vs 4.30
Goal diff 15 vs + 16
PP 28.2% vs 34.5%
PK% 85.4% vs 73.1%
Save % .918 vs .900
I just gave a comment about Kuemper. He's not an NHL playoff level goaltender. If Woodcroft does his homework, the Oilers might run him out of the building. sv% of barely above 0.900 in the playoffs will not get any team far. What is sad is Kuemper's worse than Koskinen. The Avs should be the ones investing their 1st round pick on a goalie more than us.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I guess you and many others have not watched Kuemper play. He's worse than Markstrom. The only reason why the Avs are in this is because they are a high octane and puck possession team. Lots of shots are coming from the perimeter. Look at who the Avs faced so far, neither the Predators or Blues have lethal weapons like McDavid, Kane and Draisaitl. Blues have one Tarasenko but he has done a whole lot of nothing.
Better or worse than Markstrom. I really don’t even care. But if the Avs fans say it’s true, I’ll take their word for it, I’m not even doubting it. My point is not to fall into that disbelief and negativity trap no matter what. Support Smitty and believe in our guys.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Better or worse than Markstrom. I really don’t even care. But if the Avs fans say it’s true, I’ll take their word for it, I’m not even doubting it. My point is not to fall into that disbelief and negativity trap no matter what. Support Smitty and believe in our guys.
You probably did not see Kuemper play a single game vs the Blues. It is piss poor goaltending. Probably just a tiny bit better than Husso. Both should be in the AHL. They make Vasilevsky look like Tretiak.

Reactions: Porkleaker

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You probably did not see Kuemper play a single game vs the Blues. It is piss poor goaltending. Probably just a tiny bit better than Husso. Both should be in the AHL. They make Vasilevsky look like Tretiak.
Did I not just say and outline why I don’t care. And that I’m not doubting it.

So... something I've noticed with Kuemper in the St. Louis series that may or may not be a weakness. He seems to let in a lot of goals high blocker side. Both St. Louis goals tonight were scored there and 3 of the 5 on Wednesday. It could just be a small sample size thing, but we did completely abuse Markstrom glove side on lateral movements. Maybe there's a chink in the armor there for Kuemper?
If there is elite Video coach turned elite ahead coach Woody and friends will find it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Sutters wisdom is legit (I think it was and wasn’t just trolling), we should have the edge in the D experience factor. Holland obviously believes in it too. Let’s hope that holds for this series. Makar and friends may need to do that whole learning before winning thing still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad