Post-Game Talk: We're Horrible. Except for Nylander.... And Brown | Leafs fall to Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Im slowly starting to lean towards being okay with letting JVR go. I am atpeace with the fact that Blowzak is bad and Lupul is a stopgap. Kadri might be salvageable but at this point if they can get a good haul for JVR or Kadri, I say do it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Im slowly starting to lean towards being okay with letting JVR go. I am atpeace with the fact that Blowzak is bad and Lupul is a stopgap. Kadri might be salvageable but at this point if they can get a good haul for JVR or Kadri, I say do it.

That's why we got HHOF Lamoriello. His worth will be to find value in players that might not have much. If he can't pull good trades, then why the hell did we bother?

One of the hardest things to do in this league though is making a significant trade at the start of the season. It's pretty rare to see one in the first month or so of the regular season. Teams are set and they are not willing to make big changes when they are fairly happy where their team is at.

So while we may want or need to trade some of these players at all cost, it might take a few weeks before there's even just chatter among the GMs about potential moves. I wouldn't expect a big trade in 2015.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Ya... I thought we should have traded the whole top line... instead, we only traded Kessel.

All this talk of rebuild, there's gonna be pain, etc.... the only guy we traded was Kessel. Not exactly a new team IMO. We have all the same players as last year except for Kessel, Clarkson, Franson, Santorelli, and Trevor Smith.

And Clarkson, Franson, and Santorelli were gone during last season. We've only made 1 trade and it was Kessel.

It was obvious this team should have been blown up... but we didn't blow it up... we kept pretty much everyone except for Kessel.

When we traded Kessel, I thought it was the first of many trades to come. I kept waiting... and nothing happened.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Babcock is a hockey lifer. He knew what he was getting into. He knows that Randy Carlyle isn't an idiot, just another hockey guy handcuffed by the enhanced status of the coddled athletes he was trying to lead. Babcock knew that there are individuals on this team who may prove to be too stubborn, too unteachable, too arrogant or too comfortable to alter their games for team goals. Babcock will only regret coming here if external forces at MLSE start standing in his way making sound personnel decisions based on merit under Babcock's criteria not the marketing department's criteria.

Sometimes players with iffy team concept pedigree can be converted. It used to happen in New Jersey all of the time where individually talented players like Bobby Carpenter Bernie Nicholls, Alex Mogilny, Stephane Richer were convinced to put the team ahead of personal goals. I assume that's the hope right now with players like JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Lupul that maybe one or more of them can eventually buy in. And by buy in, not with hollow words, but with consistent actions on the ice.

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Ya... I thought we should have traded the whole top line... instead, we only traded Kessel.

All this talk of rebuild, there's gonna be pain, etc.... the only guy we traded was Kessel. Not exactly a new team IMO. We have all the same players as last year except for Kessel, Clarkson, Franson, Santorelli, and Trevor Smith.

And Clarkson, Franson, and Santorelli were gone during last season. We've only made 1 trade and it was Kessel.

It was obvious this team should have been blown up... but we didn't blow it up... we kept pretty much everyone except for Kessel.

When we traded Kessel, I thought it was the first of many trades to come. I kept waiting... and nothing happened.

Babcock probably wanted to get a look at them first.

"Holy **** Shanny, you're right, they do suck!!"

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

That's one of the reasons why I'd like Nylander and other young guys to stick around in Marlies for the time being too. The guys in the big team have to learn Babcock's system first. It's bad enough that the young guys have to learn to be NHLers, you don't need them to be a part of the learning curve too.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Babcock is a hockey lifer. He knew what he was getting into. He knows that Randy Carlyle isn't an idiot, just another hockey guy handcuffed by the enhanced status of the coddled athletes he was trying to lead. Babcock knew that there are individuals on this team who may prove to be too stubborn, too unteachable, too arrogant or too comfortable to alter their games for team goals. Babcock will only regret coming here if external forces at MLSE start standing in his way making sound personnel decisions based on merit under Babcock's criteria not the marketing department's criteria.

Sometimes players with iffy team concept pedigree can be converted. It used to happen in New Jersey all of the time where individually talented players like Bobby Carpenter Bernie Nicholls, Alex Mogilny, Stephane Richer were convinced to put the team ahead of personal goals. I assume that's the hope right now with players like JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Lupul that maybe one or more of them can eventually buy out. And by buy in, not with hollow words, but with consistent actions on the ice.

The only reason I care if players like Bozak and Lupul buy in, it's so that they will raise their trade value so that the Leafs can move them the hell out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People keep waiting for these players to raise their value.
I think that ship has sailed. 1 month,5 months,1 year, it is what it is now.

Even if it means we move them for other players with 2 years left on their deal instead of 3 at this point i'd consider it a win.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
here is a legitimate question:

if they couldn't do it for Wilson
if they couldn't do it for Carlyle
it they couldn't (or just "supply teachered - which imo is worse) for Horachek

why is it just "poof" Babcock will make them better.
something what you see if what you get.
just say thanks, and move on

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even if it means we move them for other players with 2 years left on their deal instead of 3 at this point i'd consider it a win.

seriously. sometimes I know the theory is try to get something - but at this point just send them to the Marlies. if we put them on waivers, and someone claims them, yay! if not, well yeah we're paying them, but at least they're not up here.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

In the case of Bozak/Lupul, at this point change just for the sake of change is fine IMO. Run with Holland/Matthias/Grabner/whatever for now. Lose with some different faces. It might be year 1 for Babcock but year 6 for the rest.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So wait,

Dion still sucks and Phil wasn't the problem with the first line? My gawd. I wish someone could've realized this!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
here is a legitimate question:

if they couldn't do it for Wilson
if they couldn't do it for Carlyle
it they couldn't (or just "supply teachered - which imo is worse) for Horachek

why is it just "poof" Babcock will make them better.
something what you see if what you get.
just say thanks, and move on

I have always said - You can not make chicken soup out of chicken ****.

For the most part it is just a terrible mix of players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So wait,

Dion still sucks and Phil wasn't the problem with the first line? My gawd. I wish someone could've realized this!

Phil wasn't THE problem, but he was a problem, and needed to be moved for the rebuild. We got 3 very good assets for him.

And no, Dion doesn't "suck"

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Phil wasn't THE problem, but he was a problem, and needed to be moved for the rebuild. We got 3 very good assets for him.

He doesn't and he seems like a good soldier, works hard, good leader.
Many problems with this Team, he's not even on the radar.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This team is going to be horrible.

At least Nylander looks great. The future is bright. We add Auston Matthews or Jacob Chychrun this year and the core is set

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

A lot of players are a problem. Phaneuf is apart of the problem.

I'm not sure what it is, but there's a big need for a massive haul of change and it starts with your leadership core.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

His back to back worst career seasons since signing his deal have to concern you. For a 7 million dollar player, he absolutely does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad