Post-Game Talk: We're Horrible. Except for Nylander.... And Brown | Leafs fall to Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Translation: Nylander and Brown are awesome and if the vets on this team were actually good at hockey, I might keep them around but I need to get them as far away as possible from this mess.

That's kind of the way I read it too . . . but we'll all have to wait until the end. My feeling is, if Nylander stays for opening night . . . he's in all season. I personally put odds on that right now at about . . . 27%.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
My urgency level was through the roof this off-season. I have no idea why they think they can wait. I'm not sure what else is there to increase when the roster is just going to get worst.

Take what you can and move on, unless there's absolutely nothing in value, like Lupul likely has.

Whatever though. I'm sure they'll figure it out. This is why we got Lamoriello, the Hall of famer, to find homes to these players to **** off too.

I was in the same boat. In fact, the only guy I was ok with keeping was Kessel. Kessel is a dynamic player and his value wasn't likely to go down beyond what it was.

Everyone else should've been shipped out, even if it was for (slightly) negative value just to recoup cap space.

It's going to be a lot harder to move Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak after they fail under a top coach like Babcock.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Perhaps too many expected a "stub your toe" pain rather than a "herniated disc" or "passing a kidney stone" pain.

I expected the pain of losing, but also expected that pain to be mitigated by the joy of watching the kids play and develop.

Looks like we'll have to watch the Marlies in order to get that.

What I did not expect was to have to watch our failed core, surrounded by cast-off veteran schmucks get yelled at by Babcock all year to a predictable finish.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I expected the pain of losing, but also expected that pain to be mitigated by the joy of watching the kids play and develop.

What I did not expect was to have to watch our failed core, surrounded by cast-off veteran schmucks get yelled at by Babcock all year to a predictable finish.

I'm sort of in the same boat.

I'm all for stop gaps and short-term veterans sprinkled with prospect and young players that deserve roster spots. But then I look at the roster and most of the top players have been here for years... and they are still here after 3 or even 4 different coaches. Can anyone explain to me why they are still here?

Whatever though. I'm sure Lamoriello will get some great value of these awesome veterans... right?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A couple of poor pre-season showings is still nothing more than pulling off the bandaid level pain. I still don't believe it can possibly be more painful than after the team collectively quit on Horachek. That was sickeningly painful. I've never seen anything worse than that including any season in the 1980's.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm sort of in the same boat.

I'm all for stop gaps and short-term veterans sprinkled with prospect and young players that deserve roster spots. But then I look at the roster and most of the top players have been here for years... and they are still here after 3 or even 4 different coaches. Can you anyone explain to me why they are still here?

Whatever though. I'm sure Lamoriello will get some great value of these awesome veterans... right?

No one wants them....bad contracts and poor play = no market for them.

Everyone things Babcock wants Dion....I call BS on this....we are stuck with him and he is making the best of a bad situation.

Watch Dion's ice time this year, that will tell anyone what they need to know about how Babcock feels about Dion.. He may not get healthy scratched, but his ice time will be reduced a lot.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A couple of poor pre-season showings is still nothing more than pulling off the bandaid level pain. I still don't believe it can possibly be more painful than after the team collectively quit on Horachek. That was sickeningly painful. I've never seen anything worse than that including any season in the 1980's.

I find it funny of how excitedly optimistic fans were after winning the first two games, to how sad and down everyone is now after the last two.

Literally a switch got flipped.

At least they're crushing our hopes for this season early, right? No false promises!

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012

I've heard this notion expressed frequently recently, well, the Leafs weren't going to move their failed core and play the kids in one offseason, it's not reasonable, when Babcock and company said pain, they meant it, and not just for this season.

Fwiw, watch the Marlies then, they won't bring nearly as much pain to your eyes and heart, they may even give you some hope.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I find it funny of how excitedly optimistic fans were after winning the first two games, to how sad and down everyone is now after the last two.

Literally a switch got flipped.

At least they're crushing our hopes for this season early, right? No false promises!

Heh, it's gonna be like that all year in some form or another. Just another day in the centre of the hockey world.

I'm hoping we have a good showing the first game and paste Montreal just to see the crazy optimism that follows.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
"There will be pain"

As in "We'll remove our best offensively dynamic player to show you how really bad this team is, and how far away there are from playoff contention".

:sarcasm:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nobody wants them.

I don't agree with that. Lupul is probably the only one that has zero value. They had offers on the table for Bozak and Phaneuf over the last few months. Bozak had a couple offers around the draft apparently and Phaneuf was said to be close to going to Detroit. If Clarkson was traded, anybody can.

Either way, it's going to be a long year and for the most part, for the wrong reasons.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't agree with that. Lupul is probably the only one that has zero value. They had offers on the table for Bozak and Phaneuf over the last few months. Bozak had a couple offers around the draft apparently and Phaneuf was said to be close to going to Detroit. If Clarkson was traded, anybody can.

Either way, it's going to be a long year and for the most part, for the wrong reasons.

Leafs apparently offered Bozak around for a 2nd but couldn't find a taker.

I don't know if it was because they wanted a 2015 2nd which may explain it.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

If you don't believe in "nobody wanted them" there is only 1 answer left.

The price was too high.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Count me in with the sentiment that I don't want any of our young promising players anywhere near this mess. There's still a lot to clean up, and Babcock's going to have his hands full turning our veterans into good players. Nylander and everyone are better off honing their craft in the AHL with less media attention on the big club, and fewer poor role models like what we have on the Leafs.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Still took Buffalo a couple of year to tear it all down with those bad contracts ... I'm expecting another core player or two to be moved at some point during the season, if not next off-season

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
There's pain coming, fellow leaf fans... there's pain coming.

This roster is absolutely brutal.

Good news though Tickets should be readily available at market or below value. That's great news for the true fans who are in for the long run.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I've heard this notion expressed frequently recently, well, the Leafs weren't going to move their failed core and play the kids in one offseason, it's not reasonable, when Babcock and company said pain, they meant it, and not just for this season.

Fwiw, watch the Marlies then, they won't bring nearly as much pain to your eyes and heart, they may even give you some hope.

Exactly management has been very forthright and honest. It takes much longer than one deadline + off-season to revamp a roster.

It took years to put us in this spot and it's going to take at least a few more years to get us.

It takes time to properly develop prospects. Just because we're a bad team doesn't mean every spot should be taken by a youngster. That's how you ruin youngsters like Sabres were doing a few years ago (and completely moved away from) or Oilers/Blue Jackets did to guys like Brule/Gagner or I'd argue we did to Schenn. Everyone screams they want the Detroit patient player development approach but then when we actually hold a guy back for a bit everyone loses there mind (witness: Kadri + #freeJakeGardiner).

People are also much to concerned about the cap in the short term. We've got all kinds of cap room but the problem is we don't have anywhere to spend it wisely. In a few years all of Robidas, Komarov, Bozak, Lupul when we actually will need the cap space.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Nobody wants them.

This is most likely the case. With the cap barely moving, teams are not looking for $5million players dressed like $2 million dollar players. Thats basically what Bozak and Lupul are. They are 3rd liners, maybe low end 2nd liners on bad teams, and teams would rather commit more money to their stars and fill in the bottom of their roster with young, cheap players.

You are not going to get a thing for Phaneuf, so sadly he is here for awhile. I will find it hard to root for this team, knowing I cant stand the majority of them, and the rest of them are on 1 year deals and will be more than likely gone by the deadline.

I am ok with this, and realize the next few years are gonna hurt bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland