Post-Game Talk: We're Frauds!!!!

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
They got exactly what they deserved going back to the fountain of Nemeth and Graves over and over again. Either Byram was available or he wasn’t, pick one.

For how good Vegas is, Avs should be beating them plain and simple. MacKinnon should be better than Stone and Makar should've been the best defender out of either team. We're not going anywhere, this was the year and they blew it.

Eh, I don’t know. Makar is 22, I’m not exactly going to rake him over the coals for not being leaps and bounds better than a very experienced D core on Vegas. And while MacKinnon’s performance was less than desired I think Kadri’s abence plays a big role in Vegas game planning entirely around MacKinnon-Rantanen.

Also f*** this whole 1 seed vs 2 seed in the second round bullshit.

And, no, this was never ‘the year’. It could have been A year though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Eh, I don’t know. Makar is 22, I’m not exactly going to rake him over the coals for not being leaps and bounds better than a very experienced D core on Vegas. And while MacKinnon’s performance was less than desired I think Kadri’s abence plays a big role in Vegas game planning entirely around MacKinnon-Rantanen.

Also f*** this whole 1 seed vs 2 seed in the second round bullshit.

And, no, this was never ‘the year’. It could have been A year though.
Makar is far from my blame list personally, but he was also far from being the best defender in this series as well.

Well when we pay Landeskog 9 million a year to kill plays at a 70% success rate, we're going to come back to this series with a huge dagger in our heart with the words R E G R E T printed on it. Landeskog isn't even a good player for majority of the time anymore, it's brutal that Avs are going to screw themselves just because he's captain. Like how they kept playing Iginla and Beauchemin just because they were veterans, this sort of rubbish.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Makar is far from my blame list personally, but he was also far from being the best defender in this series as well.

Well when we pay Landeskog 9 million a year to kill plays at a 70% success rate, we're going to come back to this series with a huge dagger in our heart with the words R E G R E T printed on it. Landeskog isn't even a good player for majority of the time anymore, it's brutal that Avs are going to screw themselves just because he's captain. Like how they kept playing Iginla and Beauchemin just because they were veterans, this sort of rubbish.

We’ll see, I agree giving Landy anywhere near 9 million is a big mistake.

Tonight I was numb. The real dagger that went straight to the heart was game 5.

Not showing up in games 3 and 4 lost them the series. They thought it would be easy after the undeserved win in game 2,

This. Man, I’m glad it’s not just me. I was wrecked after game 5, completely depressed, tonight I’m oddly apathetic. I f***ing hate summer because of no Avs hockey. It’s going to be a long 3.5 months.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Everyone has to own this.

Sakic built a great team but once again failed at the deadline.

Bednar made some questionable lineup decisions, especially on defense, and just refused to change. The same players cost them game in and game out but he kept going back to it.

MacKinnon showed up tonight when many others didn’t but that doesn’t excuse the last few games. He simply wasn’t good enough for too many games in this series.

Landeskog had next to no impact in this series after the first game. Viking Mode was on for the first round and all the way off against Vegas.

Girard was really really bad. I’m not going as far as others about moving him because I believe he’s a key piece here but that was ugly. It’s happened in too many playoffs to just simply brush it off too. He has to get better.

Kadri might’ve played the biggest role in the Avs losing this series by not being available. This might be a Leafs situation where you can’t bring him back.

Loved what I saw from Jost this season but this series also magnified his offensive limitations. I don’t think you can just pencil him in at 3C and call it a day because he’s already limited there and he absolutely can’t be in the top six if something goes wrong.

I’m not re-signing Grubauer after what we just saw. I’d take Rask, who also played poorly, on a one-year deal over whatever ridiculous offer Grubauer gets. This might be one of my knee jerk reactions I said I’d have in the other thread but that’s how I’m feeling tonight.

I have serious doubts about Burakovsky’s fit here after seeing how much he avoided physical play and just didn’t want it.

I’m not even going to bother getting into the Graves, Compher, Donskoi, etc types tonight.

I have a tough time coming up with too many positive things to say tonight but I guess I’ll mention Toews. Incredible trade, incredible player.

Nichushkin can’t finish whatsoever ever but that’s still my guy. Seeing him take that hit and then come back to hit everyone in sight and create chances (and not finish) was great.

Tough spot for Newhook with those limited minutes but I’m very excited about his future.

Lastly, credit to Vegas. They did what they needed to do and took advantage of the Avs mistakes. Some pucks were just handed to them but they also created plenty of those turnovers.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Proud of this team and to be an avs fan. Anyone shitting on the team can and should f*** off. Winning is not a guarantee for any team in any sport regardless of talent. Hockey is especially volatile. These guys came out and played as hard as they could today and on Wednesday. They didn’t get the results. Vegas is a very good team and they were more prepared and they deserve some respect for their performance

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In terms of off-season moves:

- Let Grubauer walk and find another goaltender via trade. There’s no reason to sign this guy to a huge contract. He’s getting older and it will bite the Avs in the ass if they give him a big deal.

They’ll likely see a drop-off in regular season goaltending, but if that’s what Grubauer is going to do in the playoffs there’s no reason to keep him.

- I’ve waffled on this for a while and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I’d move on from Girard in the off-season. I’d trade him for centre help, which this team definitely needs. It just seems like the logical choice with Byram coming in and Timmins playing well in the playoffs.

At this point I think there’s enough evidence that Girard’s play is not as good in the post-season. The thing that really disturbed me about his play tonight was the lack of want and compete in his game. It just seemed like he wasn’t even fighting at all. Maybe it was fatigue, but it was tough to watch. I still really like him, but I think to fill other needs it makes sense to trade him.

- I would resign Landeskog. I thought he had a rough series against Vegas, but I still think he fills a valuable need for this team. I would feel really nervous about something around 8 million, but I don’t think I’m willing to let him walk.

- In terms of smaller moves. I’d look to add a thumping forechecker on the 4th line. I’d also add a defender with size on either the second, or 3rd pair.

- That was definitely a hard way to end the season, but teams have to build up scar tissue. Hopefully the youth movement at forward next year goes well. No doubt Newhook and someone like Ranta/Kaut will be pushing for spots.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
This wasted opportunity is on Joe Sakic.

Can't win with this small D, i don't care how entertaining they look in the regular season.

Needed to add grit to the forward group but he did nothing.

Unfortunately i have zero confidence that he realizes what needs to be done.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Would be perfectly fine if they gave it their all and lost to a great team like Vegas. However, the Avs didn't show up for half of the series. In games 2-4 the team refused to work hard and were playing soft regular season hockey. A bad game here and there happens, but 3 straight games where the entire team didn't want to show effort and even battle for loose pucks is something else.

The series reinforces the notion that the Avs are currently somewhat mentally weak, soft and lazy. I found their effort so gutless that there has to be major changes. No serious contender takes a vacation for half of the games in round 2, that is a major red flag.

Also absolutely hate how the Avs are handing the Landeskog situation. Its Stastny 2.0 all over again. They have given him all the power in extension talks or he can also just walk. From an asset management point of view losing a 1st liner for nothing is horrible business, but signing him to a big extension will also turn out real ugly in the not too distant future. Feels like a lose lose situation, unless Landy goes for a hometown discount.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If I had a chance to do what should've been done...

X - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad - X - X
Newhook - X - Nichushkin
X - Jost - X

Toews - Makar
X - X
Byram - Girard
Timmins

X
Francouz
For a President Trophy team, there's a lot of "X's" there. We need an entire second line and a entire second pairing defence. Pathetic.

Reactions: Weast

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC

- Let Grubauer walk and find another goaltender via trade. There’s no reason to sign this guy to a huge contract. He’s getting older and it will bite the Avs in the ass if they give him a big deal.

They’ll likely see a drop-off in regular season goaltending, but if that’s what Grubauer is going to do in the playoffs there’s no reason to keep him.

- I’ve waffled on this for a while and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I’d move on from Girard in the off-season. I’d trade him for centre help, which this team definitely needs. It just seems like the logical choice with Byram coming in and Timmins playing well in the playoffs.

At this point I think there’s enough evidence that Girard’s play is not as good in the post-season. The thing that really disturbed me about his play tonight was the lack of want and compete in his game. It just seemed like he wasn’t even fighting at all. Maybe it was fatigue, but it was tough to watch. I still really like him, but I think to fill other needs it makes sense to trade him.

- I would resign Landeskog. I thought he had a rough series against Vegas, but I still think he fills a valuable need for this team. I would feel really nervous about something around 8 million, but I don’t think I’m willing to let him walk.

- In terms of smaller moves. I’d look to add a thumping forechecker on the 4th line. I’d also add a defender with size on either the second, or 3rd pair.

- That was definitely a hard way to end the season, but teams have to build up scar tissue. Hopefully the youth movement at forward next year goes well. No doubt Newhook and someone like Ranta/Kaut will be pushing for spots.

I like Girard too and his contract is great so not looking to trade . But IF you could get Seth Jones (and sign obviously ), I think Girard can be sacrificed

Reactions: flyfysher

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No two ways about it… this was a failure. Complete failure. Much of the NHL and hockey world is going to claim the Avs’ style won’t work. The Avs have to decide if that is right or wrong… and if they will double down. Double down is the easier, yet riskier route. Wrong they have to change a lot on this team. This is a big time summer.

At very least for God’s sake get two good centers in here for next season! And get a RD to protect Girard for getting hammered all the time.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

How about Bednar?

Weast

May 16, 2011
Dogwater team.
The 'stars' disappear the second they have to face a team thats not the f***ing flames or blues, and the supporting players can't carry their own jockstraps.
Whatever, Sakic is going to continue to try and rely on Mack and Rants as the drivers and they are going to continue to disappear like Caspar when the going gets tough.
I'm not going to enjoy the years to come.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
5YZx8Sr.gif

Reactions: hailbird and MarkT

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Just wait,
You know the league will make us open next season with a
Back to back against the knights as they desperately try to force rivalry’s

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If I had a chance to do what should've been done...

X - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad - X - X
Newhook - X - Nichushkin
X - Jost - X

Toews - Makar
X - X
Byram - Girard
Timmins

X
Francouz
For a President Trophy team, there's a lot of "X's" there. We need an entire second line and a entire second pairing defence. Pathetic.

Byram and Girard ARE your second pairing, better marry yourself to that now. We’ll be lucky as shit if we get Graves out of that role.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No two ways about it… this was a failure. Complete failure. Much of the NHL and hockey world is going to claim the Avs’ style won’t work. The Avs have to decide if that is right or wrong… and if they will double down. Double down is the easier, yet riskier route. Wrong they have to change a lot on this team. This is a big time summer.

At very least for God’s sake get two good centers in here for next season! And get a RD to protect Girard for getting hammered all the time.

I don't see how that helps Girard in the postseason. There will always be instances he's the first player to the boards and will have to get retrieve the puck. He's played with EJ for half his career and that didn't help Girard from sucking when push comes to shove.

He may figure it out, but i'd seriously look at using him as a key trade chip if we can land a player like Eichel, Couts, or Jones in return. The easy route is to keep Girard which is what I think happens, but I honestly think moving Girard for the right piece could be a franchise defining move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad