Pre-Game Talk: We're doing lines for Pens at Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
If I just got traded to a new team, I'm not telling the beat writer "I refuse to do X," even if I know I can't do it.

If Johnston says 72 just plays RW, that's good enough for me.

Probably. I mean, Hornqvist has exclusively been on the RW all season, except for a few times during the preseason, so I don't see him changing it.

I just saw someone say Hornqvist couldn't play LW and I knew I saw somewhere he said otherwise.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Kevin Stevens has read the thread title and said he will be right there.

Edit: oops, I see I was beat to the punch (line).

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
You mean this?

Problem is there's no direct quote from Hornqvist on it. The only direct quote from Hornqvist is the one where he says he's only a RW. I'll take Hornqvist on his word over some article that Yohe could have easily messed up.

I think it's pretty hard to mess up a quote where he says he could play either wing, but hey it is the Pittsburgh media.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If I just got traded to a new team, I'm not telling the beat writer "I refuse to do X," even if I know I can't do it.

If Johnston says 72 just plays RW, that's good enough for me.

Aside from that, it's utterly stupid to force someone to switch wings just to keep Kunitz on Crosby's line. Now where have we seen that before? :sarcasm:

Someone who's right-handed is going to have to play LW. It should be Perron, since he's the one that can actually do it.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Aside from that, it's utterly stupid to force someone to switch wings just to keep Kunitz on Crosby's line. Now where have we seen that before? :sarcasm:

Someone who's right-handed is going to have to play LW. It should be Perron, since he's the one that can actually do it.

I don't think the point was to force Kunitz on Crosby's line.

If Hornqvist is on Malkin's line and Bennett is on Sutter's line, that leaves a hole on the RW of Crosby's line.

Perron-Crosby-XXX
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
XXX-Sutter-Bennett

I personally think a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Perron has the potential to be better than a line of Perron-Crosby-Downie. But I don't like Downie in the top 6 as much as others do.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think it's pretty hard to mess up a quote where he says he could play either wing, but hey it is the Pittsburgh media.

It was on an MM segment in September, I'll find it for you later if I can. PH didn't say "I can't play LW", MM said something to the effect of "So you're a top winger" and PH corrected him and said something like "I'm a RIGHT winger". In any case, I took from it and so did MM that PH feels strongly about being on the R side. I assume that's part of why MJ thinks that.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
It was on an MM segment in September, I'll find it for you later if I can. PH didn't say "I can't play LW", MM said something to the effect of "So you're a top winger" and PH corrected him and said something like "I'm a RIGHT winger". In any case, I took from it and so did MM that PH feels strongly about being on the R side. I assume that's part of why MJ thinks that.

It's cool. I trust ya'll :laugh:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't think the point was to force Kunitz on Crosby's line.

If Hornqvist is on Malkin's line and Bennett is on Sutter's line, that leaves a hole on the RW of Crosby's line.

Perron-Crosby-XXX
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
XXX-Sutter-Bennett

I personally think a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Perron has the potential to be better than a line of Perron-Crosby-Downie. But I don't like Downie in the top 6 as much as others do.

But we don't know for sure if that will be the case, especially if JR brings in another winger.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Spaling-Malkin-Bennett was very good in the Bostom game. I'd like to see a Perron-Sid-Bennett line at some point, but I think Beau is a better fit for Geno.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Dare we try the unthinkable...XXX = Bennett?

I want to see Bennett with Crosby.

In a limited view, I thought Bennett looked better with both Malkin and Sutter than he's looked with Crosby. Part of that is comfort level and getting used to things, but I also think Crosby plays with speed which may make for a longer period of adjustment. (I haven't really seen a lot of Bennett outside his NHL games. Has he played with very fast players previously?)

I also think that puts a lot of playmaking (read: passing) on that line possibly to its detriment. Both Crosby and Bennett pass a lot; Malkin at least carries the puck more.

Perron-Crosby-Bennett
Comeau/Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
Comeau/Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Adams

I still like something like:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau/Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Comeau/Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Adams

the best on paper at least.

EDIT:
But we don't know for sure if that will be the case, especially if JR brings in another winger.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Rutherford makes a move bigger than bringing in a mid-6 winger rental (Glencross, Frolik, Tlusty, Stafford). I just don't think there are any feasible options for a legit top 6 winger trade.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Agreed. Glad to see it appears Spaling, EM, and Bennet will stick together as well.

I've been ****ing on Spaling for a while, and I still want to trade him (this season if we get another F, otherwise in the summer), but I have to admit that he had his best game of the season last game with BB and Gino. Let's hope that continues. It can only help boost his trade value :)

Yes he did say that. He mentioned BB can play both wings, so we may end up seeing:

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist

I mean, I'd rather have Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist and Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett, but I guess those lines would work too.

And if Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist could play as well as they did early in the season, I'm not averse to keeping that trio together, and then having Perron-Malkin-Bennett. We've got different options, and I'm sure we'll find one permutation that works well consistently. But those lines above in bold, I like the look of those a lot.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I prefer Rust on the fourth line over Adams. Also my four lines when healthy:
Perron/Crosby/Horny
Spaling/Malkin/Comeau
Kunitz/Sutter/Bennett
Rust.Goc/Downie

I think Spaling can be a Kunitz on the board battles and Comeau brings speed to open up ice for Malkin. The edge is the third line as it can be very good against third pairing d men. F Adams and Rust offers much more now. In fact I wouldn't mind a Sill/Rust/Downie as well. Goc except for face off and good PK is just not very fast or physical. I don't mind him but he is not very noticeable for his pedigree. Much depends on how good Comrie is when he returns. if his is not quite that player, move him and Bennett

SarahCrash

Dec 17, 2005
St. Albert, AB
It looks like some good moves. On paper, anyways. We'll have to see how it works and it may require a little bit of time.

I'm not worried at all about Perron playing RW. In fact, he'll be much better in the corners and having the front side of his blade facing forward (to the offense) while along the boards is a real benefit. Perron does not have a strong backhand like Crosby. And further supporting this idea is that Perron is playing with Crosby. I'm not concerned about him being on the off-wing or not to shoot the puck. In fact, at times Perron and Letang looked like they were trying to steal the same off wing real estate at times.

I'm hoping this works super!

Fordy

May 28, 2008
If it's a world of rewarding, his play the last couple games has warranted him a shot back up. However he was finding a niche w/ Sutter.

it really hasn't. he improved from how bad he was but not to top six quality. if bennett was only playing as well as kunitz is right now everyone would be saying he hasn't earned a look, but kunitz can move his legs a bit for three games and obviously he deserves a 20th chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad