Pre-Game Talk: We're doing lines for Pens at Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I like the look of these lines. Kunitz-Crosby-Perron is gritty enough and creative enough at the same time to potentially be a good playoff line. If Kunitz plays half-decent, that is.

If that top line works, that would leave us a sick line of BB-Malkin-Hornqvist for line 2 as soon as Horny gets back. We could very well be set up front. That said, I'd want another top 6 acquisition because I'm still not sure if Beau can stay healthy.

He is just as good at RW as on the left, no reason to complain about that top line.

To me, Bennett has looked not good on the LW as compared to how he plays on the right.

Do you think Bennett just needs time to adjust or is he more like Hornqvist and Kunitz?

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
To me, Bennett has looked not good on the LW as compared to how he plays on the right.

Do you think Bennett just needs time to adjust or is he more like Hornqvist and Kunitz?
He's a right winger, through and through. That's for sure.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Well, Spaling is a solid support player. Both Malkin and Bennett like to carry and hold the puck. It makes sense that Spaling would take it upon himself to shoot the puck once it's on his stick or find ways to send the biscuit to both Malkin and Bennett.

It still takes a good combination to maximize his strengths, beyond preferences and style. For me, he was at his best with Sutter and Downie so far. It's good to see that this could potentially work, too.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Impossible to say, but he's shown some flashes on the left. With a center that can actually get him the puck, I think Beau can make the adjustment in due time. Playing on his off-wing will put also put him in better shooting positions, so his confidence in his shot needs to increase. It's not quite there yet, but with the goal last game and the generous amount of time off his repaired wrist has received thanks to his LBIs, I think that part will come in time for sure.

All that said, BB-Malkin-Hornqvist would work quite well IMO. Funny thing is, Hornqvist can make the switch easily, and his game is not really predicated on which side of the ice he is responsible for. Which means that if our current top line works, we could roll Hornqvist-Malkin-BB as a second line. But for whatever reason, Johnson sees Hornqvist as a RW exclusively, even though he has proven in the past that he's a good LW too.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Impossible to say, but he's shown some flashes on the left. With a center that can actually get him the puck, I think he can make the adjustment in due time. Playing on his off-wing will put also put him in better shooting positions, so his confidence in his shot also needs to increase. It's not quite there yet, but with the goal last game and the generous amount of time off his repaired wrist has received thanks to his LBIs, I think that part will come in time for sure.

All that said, BB-Malkin-Hornqvist would work quite well IMO. Funny thing is, Hornqvist can make the switch easily, and his game is not really predicated on which side of the ice he is responsible for. But for whatever reason, Johnson sees him as a RW exclusively, even though he has proven in the past that he's a good LW too.

Pretty sure Hornqvist played some LW in the preseason too.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I'm just happy that it seems MJ will continuously switch lines until Sid AND geno going

penguins2946*

Johnston has flat out said that Hornqvist is a RW and not someone who can play both sides, iirc.

Yes he did say that. He mentioned BB can play both wings, so we may end up seeing:

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist

I mean, I'd rather have Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist and Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett, but I guess those lines would work too.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yes he did say that. He mentioned BB can play both wings, so we may end up seeing:

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist

I mean, I'd rather have Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist and Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett, but I guess those lines would work too.

I really prefer Bennett at RW so he should stay there, who knows who end up in the top 6 though.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
He can, but having him on LW as a righty shot (where he could 1-time pucks) is what made the most sense while playing with Crosby.
This is true, but clearly MJ is more worried about getting through the neutral zone and winning puck battles in the corners tonight against a Habs team that had our number in those regards less than a week ago. So assuming Perron does those things well from the right, I'm totally fine with this tactical swap. This is also why we're seeing Kuny in w/ Sid again...Downie's lack of speed is probably seen as a bigger detriment than usual for that line against this team.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I really prefer Bennett at RW so he should stay there, who knows who end up in the top 6 though.

Hornqvist has said he's a right winger and was pretty adamant about it on a radio interview during the preseason, so it's not just MJ.

If Kunitz/Sid/Perron lights the world on fire, then BB will probably go back with Sutter once PH and Comeau are back. And I think those lines are excellent IF Kunitz can sustain his level of play. That's a big leap of faith though.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hornqvist has said he's a right winger and was pretty adamant about it on a radio interview during the preseason, so it's not just MJ.

If Kunitz/Sid/Perron lights the world on fire, then BB will probably go back with Sutter once PH and Comeau are back. And I think those lines are excellent IF Kunitz can sustain his level of play. That's a big leap of faith though.

That's not correct. From a Trib article awhile ago:

"Hornqvist said he is willing to play left or right wing."

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6377601-74/penguins-sill-candidate#axzz3OQciClSb

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Maybe, KMB could also work if Kunitz did his part but it relies on Kunitz doing that. It all depends on a lot of things. Kunitz not being a slug with Crosby/in the top 6 (doubtful, tbh), Bennett staying healthy, how Comeau looks when he's back, an acquisition, etc. In a 'perfect' world my top 9 RW's would go Hornqvist (Perron on the LW), Bennett, Downie so they're all on their sides and each line has a play making winger who can do something if Crosby/Malkin gets covered and who can set Sutter's shot up. The LW situation is the potential problem.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He can, but having him on LW as a righty shot (where he could 1-time pucks) is what made the most sense while playing with Crosby.

He's actually had more success with RW'ers that are left handed (Hossa in the playoffs, Dupuis since the dawn of time).

Only Hornqvist, a right handed RW'er actually looked good with Sid, why not see it play out first.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Agreed, Comeau and Hornqvist with Geno would be good too. They've already scored one nice goal together as a unit at ES, with a grand total of maybe 3 shifts together.

Last word on Hornqvist playing LW: just because a player says something, doesn't make it so. Hornqvist proved to be a good top 6 LW in his Nashville days. His hallmark traits of screening the goalie, tipping shots, and causing havoc around the net are unaffected by the side of the ice he plays on. Him talking about being a RW could simply be a personal preference to play that side, it doesn't necessarily mean he can no longer play on the left.

That's not correct. From a Trib article awhile ago:

"Hornqvist said he is willing to play left or right wing."

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6377601-74/penguins-sill-candidate#axzz3OQciClSb

Oh then, there it is. Nevermind the big paragraph above, Horny agrees with me. :D

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
When you look at all the right-handed shots the Penguins have, Perron has to play LW in the long run.

TheGoldenJet said:
Last word on Hornqvist playing LW: just because a player says something, doesn't make it so. Hornqvist proved to be a good top 6 LW in his Nashville days. His hallmark traits of screening the goalie, tipping shots, and causing havoc around the net are unaffected by the side of the ice he plays on. Him talking about being a RW could simply be a personal preference to play that side, it doesn't necessarily mean he can no longer play on the left.

When a player is that straightforward about saying he can't play LW, then he probably can't play LW. Just because it works in NHL 15 doesn't mean in works in real life.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Not according to the article I posted. He said he could play either wing.

If I just got traded to a new team, I'm not telling the beat writer "I refuse to do X," even if I know I can't do it.

If Johnston says 72 just plays RW, that's good enough for me.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Not according to the article I posted. He said he could play either wing.

You mean this?

Hornqvist said he is willing to play left or right wing. He also noted he is eager to become a positive presence in the locker room. Hornqvist was an alternate captain with the Predators.

Problem is there's no direct quote from Hornqvist on it. The only direct quote from Hornqvist is the one where he says he's only a RW. I'll take Hornqvist on his word over some article that Yohe could have easily messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille