Post-Game Talk: Welp - Leafs Lose to the Wings 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
New to this thread. I'm a die hard Leafs fan, but tonight was just...................ugly. It was one of those games where just watching it makes you depressed. To make matters worse, there was NO energy from the crowd. Seriously, WHY do people go to these games if they won't cheer? I know some of them are there because of free tickets, but there has to be someone who knows a thing or two about hockey at those games, right? Obviously a hockey team shouldn't blame its losses and problems on the fans, but we have to show support. Instead, we toss jerseys onto the ice. The leafs may be a bad hockey team, but they are not bad people.They don't lose on purpose. I feel awful for those guys who worked so hard to try to get the W, and we just absolutely ***** on their morale. I know some guys had a no effort night and were just going with the motions, but we have to respect those guys as human beings as well. Now that my rant is over with, let's be optimistic about the next game! Bernier is looking to rebound, the boys are hopefully fired up from the rough play from the Wings and Quincey and they are hopefully looking to get right back at them!

I don't think you'll find much sympathy for a bunch of millionaires who can't perform their job from one night to the next.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Throwing the jersey on the ice every time we're going to lose is getting old fast.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I don't understand why people are knocking Phaneuf tonight. Three of the goals were direct screw up by other players.

The first was the goal where zetterberg got an arial pass. I understand that gardener lost sight of the puck, but he's the last man in and needs to get body position on zetterberg there. He got caught standing still.

The one goal against where Phaneuf was on the ice was 100% franson not picking up his man. All he had to do was face franzen coming in and take the man.

The nyquist goal was a brutal missed assignment from kadri. He just stopped skating and let the third man in the zone cruise to the slot worry free. That one had me yelling at the tv.

Phaneuf finished the night with an even rating yet I hear idiots calling into the radio yelling about Carlyle having to bench Phaneuf. I hate my own fan base sometimes :(

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I don't understand why people are knocking Phaneuf tonight. Three of the goals were direct screw up by other players.

The first was the goal where zetterberg got an arial pass. I understand that gardener lost sight of the puck, but he's the last man in and needs to get body position on zetterberg there. He got caught standing still.

The one goal against where Phaneuf was on the ice was 100% franson not picking up his man. All he had to do was face franzen coming in and take the man.

The nyquist goal was a brutal missed assignment from kadri. He just stopped skating and let the third man in the zone cruise to the slot worry free. That one had me yelling at the tv.

Phaneuf finished the night with an even rating yet I hear idiots calling into the radio yelling about Carlyle having to bench Phaneuf. I hate my own fan base sometimes :(
He's overpaid. He plays the same style. Stand around and let his partner do all the skating. Of course, when Franson is his partner, that isn't going to work. The fans saying pair him with Gardiner are right. Phaneuf is too slow and lazy so he needs a fast skater as his partner. Whether Gardiner is good enough to play D and do Phaneuf's job remains to be seen. Gardiner isn't very good defensively so it's only good on paper. It probably won't help too much.

thunderhawk905*

Stellar performance... right guys :sarcasm:.

But but but, Dion is a $50M #1 man :sarcasm:

Even Dion himself wouldn't claim to be a $50M #1 Dman, but that's what the Toronto Maple Leafs have turned him into. It's not his fault a bunch of incompetent half witted politicians signed him to such money.

Clearly, he is not. Let's get over it and start directing attention to THE TEAM.

THE TEAM!!!!!!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Throwing the jersey on the ice every time we're going to lose is getting old fast.

I'd like to see all the jerseys rain down like a hat trick when we get our ***** beat. The Leafs are an abomination and should be folded. Let's apply for an expansion team in 2020.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Even Dion himself wouldn't claim to be a $50M #1 Dman, but that's what the Toronto Maple Leafs have turned him into. It's not his fault a bunch of incompetent half witted politicians signed him to such money.

Clearly, he is not. Let's get over it and start directing attention to THE TEAM.

THE TEAM!!!!!!
LOL! But, Dion is part of your TEAM, genius. A large part. Plays big minutes.... so, you lose.

So, why do you reward these same incompetent half-witted(?) politicians, hmmm? Leaf fans just don't make any sense.

The changes this year are minimal and you're in shock, you don't look any better than last year?!? Just a few new scrubs... Wake up!!

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Phaneuf was atrocious once again, and Franson was even worse tonight (which I didn't think was possible for anyone to be worse than Dion)

2nd line was also pretty bad defensively and the 1st line was invisible. Did you even hear Bozak's name once tonight?

Nice to see the 3rd line rewarded with some points.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Also it seems like the Red Wings get away with a lot of penalties. They were holding and hooking and getting away with a lot of borderline ****, it was rather annoying

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Also it seems like the Red Wings get away with a lot of penalties. They were holding and hooking and getting away with a lot of borderline ****, it was rather annoying

Yes and I watched the Wings feed on center ice and Quincey was laughing on the bench after he drilled Kozun and hurt him.....yet I never saw a response.....that was bush league. Not sure if it was shown on Sportsnet!

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
We don't just lose at home. We lay eggs. GOOD LORD

Even the one win, we were losing and had to tie it up, to take it in OT.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This is starting to feel like Anaheim's 11-12 season with Carlyle here where guys like Perry and Getzlaf barely scratched 60 points. As soon as Carlyle leaves the Getzlaf has an amazing shortened-season going over PPG. And going one season further Perry goes back to PPG pace as well in the following season. Point being, once the players get tired of Carlyle, it seems production drops a lot , he has good early years and then just doesnt recover.

This is obviously very early in the season though, so I dont want to judge too much, just a clear issue that needs to be addressed potentially going forward.

Obviously the top line has a decent amount of points, but I was really expecting a stronger start from them than this. Kessel has always had hot starts to his season, but has only really looked good in one or two games so far.

just a very mixed feeling so far with this team.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Polak and phaneuf had tough nights... Franson is a human pylon out there. Guy has no defensive ability whatsoever always get caught following the puck like its a cheeseburger

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
As much as I dislike Phaneuf, the only spot that you could criticize him on is the 4th goal.

1st goal - Polak blows a tire behind the net, turns it over and no one picks up the man coming through the middle of the zone.

2nd goal - Puck is lost in the air, Gardiner loses body position on Zetterberg and Santorelli can't get back in time to take Franzen out of the play

3rd goal - Puck gets tipped into the zone. Polak has to rush and pick up Zetterberg and does. Franson has Abdeldkader tied up in front. Nyquist comes down the middle of the ice and scores a goal with a clear shot on Reimer. Kadri fails to come back and pick up his man.

4th goal - Puck is in the zone, Reimer passes to Phaneuf with 2 guys on. He throws it around the boards and handcuffs Leo. Puck stays in... Phaneuf jumps for the puck and doesn't catch it, ends up on Nyquist's stick. He makes a beautiful pass to Abdelkader while Franson seems to be watching Gerry Dee or some other C list actor in the 1st row.

After that, then you start to see undisciplined plays and no team aspect. Just solo missions.

While I dislike him very much, I think that a team is somewhat reflective of your captain. And when Dion plays capable to what we've seen before, he's hitting everyone and agitating other players with hacks and slashes. Ironically, when the Leafs were playing their best vs the Avalanche, they were finishing their checks and being pests....and getting rewarded for it.

They absolutely need more out of their "star" players. They get paid that much for a reason.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
New to this thread. I'm a die hard Leafs fan, but tonight was just...................ugly. It was one of those games where just watching it makes you depressed.

I feel awful for those guys who worked so hard to try to get the W

:dunno:

To make matters worse, there was NO energy from the crowd. Seriously, WHY do people go to these games if they won't cheer?

What, exactly, did they have to cheer for?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I am incensed every time I see Clarkson and think about how much he gets paid.

His line has actually been playing well.

I think I am finally ready to say sell it all and go full rebuild, this core will never get us to a cup....

I am now at that point too. Blow it up.

I would keep JVR, Rielly, Percy, Gardiner, Bernier (still not sold on him though), Reimer (because I am still not sold on Bernier), Komarov, and Kozun.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Yes and I watched the Wings feed on center ice and Quincey was laughing on the bench after he drilled Kozun and hurt him.

They showed him but he was not laughing. A couple of their players were watching the replay and it showed them reacting to how bad it looked.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Next game is Carlyle's 150th with the team, I believe, and they still can't manage a simple breakout. Even the normally dense Greg Millen noticed that in the 3rd. I don't believe for a second that this roster is really as bad as he gets them playing more often than not.

Look at Detroit's roster. You're telling me we don't have a better roster than them? But they embarrassed us. I bet if we switched coaches the game would have been 5-0 for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad