Post-Game Talk: Welp - Leafs Lose to the Wings 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Our forwards didnt even enter our zone to be outlets for our d. Detroit just cycled through the slot at will while our forwards stand still.

Dion also had his worst game of the year, so far at least.

LMAO, if I got 10 bucks for everytime I've read that, I'd have a Gold Rolex. Anyway what's the over under on how many more games this season Dion shows us a new low? I'll go with 8.

TheThrill81*

4th goal - Puck is in the zone, Reimer passes to Phaneuf with 2 guys on. He throws it around the boards and handcuffs Leo. Puck stays in... Phaneuf jumps for the puck and doesn't catch it, ends up on Nyquist's stick. He makes a beautiful pass to Abdelkader while Franson seems to be watching Gerry Dee or some other C list actor in the 1st row.

Wouldn't a player who gets the puck in his own end and has 2 guys on him also be handcuffed? And for that matter, Phaneuf cleared the puck all the way to the blue line, Santorelli wasn't able to get it out of the zone because he was too slow. To blame Phaneuf on the 4th goal is a reach at best.

While I dislike him very much, I think that a team is somewhat reflective of your captain.

If a team is defined by just one player, then that team has bigger problems.

And when Dion plays capable to what we've seen before, he's hitting everyone and agitating other players with hacks and slashes. Ironically, when the Leafs were playing their best vs the Avalanche, they were finishing their checks and being pests....and getting rewarded for it.

Komarov, Clarkson, and Robidas were also laying out hits. The more likely scenario is that they were doing what they needed to do. And not because one player who wears a C was also doing it.

This thread is a classic example of how certain segments of Bipolar Nation have selective memory about a game that was played just last night. Anything to further their agendas I suppose.

LMAO, if I got 10 bucks for everytime I've read that, I'd have a Gold Rolex. Anyway what's the over under on how many more games this season Dion shows us a new low? I'll go with 8.

Your Rolex would be about as false as the claims that Phaneuf had a bad game, when infact he finished with an even rating despite the team giving up 4 ES goals, led the team in blocked shots, and was one of the few players who kept possession in Detroit's zone while other players were giving the puck away. He was far from the Leafs worst player, he was actually one of their best. Meanwhile Percy had a team high 3 giveaways but there isn't a peep about that. So predictable of this fanbase, so pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Throwing the jersey on the ice every time we're going to lose is getting old fast.

The Jersey is not thrown on the ice for losing. It's thrown on the ice for lack of compete. Something management (Shanny) said players would be held accountable for. How many times last year did we hear they weren't ready to play? They have to compete harder? That's why the Jersey. No shame in losing a hard battle. Not acceptable to go through the motions.

leafstilldeath*

If the players don't like it perhaps they should show some compete and win a home game or 2.

AMEN!

Even Phaneuf was going on and on about throwing the Jersey in the post game interviews.

As long as I see compete from this team I wouldn't mind the loss. At least go down fighting/competing don't just lay down and let other team walk over you.

Friggen Red Wings got easy zone entries while we absolutely sucked at it. I mean WTF is going on with this joke of a coach as well?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It shows me one idiot came to the game wanting to bandstand and felt his moment was more important than anyone else's time. No different than the morons throwing beers on the lower levels tonight, or the guy with the laser pointer in Montreal.

It is different though, those two last things are potentially dangerous. A jersey on the ice is an annoyance for the ref who has to pick it up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Other than Gardiner/Rielly combo Wings speed was tough for the other two Leafs pairing to handle. They were chasing the game trying to contain most of the night.

Shut down the Leafs #1 line and Leafs secondary scoring in most nights even with them being 4 lines deep now increases the odds of them tenfold.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well I think the huggers are over looking one large aspect to the foundation of this frustration.

Det is supposed to be a bubble PO team, ya.

A team we need to climb over to just get into the POs and they dominated us like the cellar dwellers that we are.

All the while missing their #1c and all world player in Datsyuk.

Take kessel out of the line up and what are we supposed to look like?

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If the players don't like it perhaps they should show some compete and win a home game or 2.

well they better be a great road team ...id throw my jersey too if i could afford it .but u gotta remember some of these folks are blowing 300 bucks to mediocre hockey
red wings work hard ,shift in shift out ,leafs high end talent better show up for at least 60 games this year or we're toast again
i wont bask kessel but gawwwwd ,,,,,

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Its aggrivating to see the Leafs D zone picked apart like that but on the other side of the coin it's enjoyabe to watch a team like Detroit who plays a team game, everyone knows their role, everyone does what they are supposed to do, they are always pressuring the puck carrier, they do a great job of making Toronto take their 2nd or 3rd option, which usually meant a turnover.

That pass from the corner into the slot killed the Leafs 3 times for 3 goals, clearly the coaching staff on Detroit saw a weakeness in Torontos game and exposed it perfectly. It sounds odd coming from a Leaf fan but I really enjoyed watching the Red Wings play last night.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well I think the huggers are over looking one large aspect to the foundation of this frustration.

A team we need to climb over to just get into the POs and they dominated us like the cellar dwellers that we are.

Which is the same situation that we were in during the home stretch last year. Detroit had their two top players injured and much of their top #4 D and we still couldn't beat them when it counted the most.

There's a lot of the season remaining, but there's some eerie similarity appearing already.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Which is the same situation that we were in during the home stretch last year. Detroit had their two top players injured and much of their top #4 D and we still couldn't beat them when it counted the most.

There's a lot of the season remaining, but there's some eerie similarity appearing already.

There are similarities because players and coaches don't change over night. This is a work in progress and the core will likely need a shake up. We saw Carlyle spread out his minutes better though.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

yes howe there is a lot of season left but

I'd argue , given last seasons collapse and every subsequent failed 82 game season prior to that, has put them in a precarious position.

I'm at the point where I will not give them any benefit of the doubt or grace, they are at the point where they have to EARN that back.

As a team they have not earned a damn thing yet.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dion wasn't terrible. The team just doesn't play some nights. Or, when they do play against a coach that knows what to do, they get shut down and made to look silly...like any other sub playoff teammm

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't understand why people are knocking Phaneuf tonight. Three of the goals were direct screw up by other players.

The first was the goal where zetterberg got an arial pass. I understand that gardener lost sight of the puck, but he's the last man in and needs to get body position on zetterberg there. He got caught standing still.

The one goal against where Phaneuf was on the ice was 100% franson not picking up his man. All he had to do was face franzen coming in and take the man.

The nyquist goal was a brutal missed assignment from kadri. He just stopped skating and let the third man in the zone cruise to the slot worry free. That one had me yelling at the tv.

Phaneuf finished the night with an even rating yet I hear idiots calling into the radio yelling about Carlyle having to bench Phaneuf. I hate my own fan base sometimes :(

You can watch the game and not understand what you're seeing. Phanuef was ok last night, he certainly wasn't the worse player.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

There are similarities because players and coaches don't change over night. This is a work in progress and the core will likely need a shake up. We saw Carlyle spread out his minutes better though.

yes howe there is a lot of season left but

I'd argue , given last seasons collapse and every subsequent failed 82 game season prior to that, has put them in a precarious position.

I'm at the point where I will not give them any benefit of the doubt or grace, they are at the point where they have to EARN that back.

As a team they have not earned a damn thing yet.

True, players that changed over the summer were in the bottom of the lineup, and our head coach is the same. I am wary and see cause for concern as well. So far, I see too many similarities to the team we saw last year (and before).

But, on the other hand, the sample size (5 games) is small. If I'm placing a bet and putting money on where the Leafs finish in the standings this year, I'm putting it in the #9 - 12th worst overall category. The optimistic part of me hopes for better, but I wouldn't be more confident than that if I were putting money on it.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
The Jersey is not thrown on the ice for losing. It's thrown on the ice for lack of compete. Something management (Shanny) said players would be held accountable for. How many times last year did we hear they weren't ready to play? They have to compete harder? That's why the Jersey. No shame in losing a hard battle. Not acceptable to go through the motions.

This 100%

I felt the throwing of the jersey on the ice was totally warranted. Millen/Kypreos said it is the ultimate insult to the players. Well the compete level of these players is the ultimate insult to the fans.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
After a few hours of reflection.

God they were awful.

But I think really what we saw was a similar team with a couple top end players perform.

Top defenders for both teams are similar in status, Phaneuf and Kronwall both top 30 defenders. Goaltenders are similar, neither one of them in the top of the league like a Price or Rask. (Neither is Bernier - yet)

However, Zetterberg and Nyquist just are better talents, and Nyquist can skate.

And check out their kids are playing http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152DETSASALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary meaningful minutes.

Compare to the Leafs depth player http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152TORSASALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

I'd say when Kessel and Datsyuk both get back into their respective line-ups they'll still be competing for one of the playoff positions, with neither a lock. :sarcasm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What, exactly, did they have to cheer for?

There was absolutely nothing. One of those rare games when all you could hear is a rumble of chatter as people were just talking to each other, not into the game at all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
True, players that changed over the summer were in the bottom of the lineup, and our head coach is the same. I am wary and see cause for concern as well. So far, I see too many similarities to the team we saw last year (and before).

But, on the other hand, the sample size (5 games) is small.

Team depth and secondary scoring were supposed to be improved but that has yet to show up as after 5 games Leaf bottom 6 has only produced 2 goals Clarkson (1) and Santorelli (1).

I don't believe our 4th line has produced a point (goal or assist) this year as Kozun and Winnik each have an assist but that came when they were playing alongside Kadri and Lupul on the 2nd line.

Leaf 3rd line of Leo-Mike-David our Snap, Crackle and Pop line has been effective in hitting and possession and goal prevention but not generating too much offense as of yet.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
This 100%

I felt the throwing of the jersey on the ice was totally warranted. Millen/Kypreos said it is the ultimate insult to the players. Well the compete level of these players is the ultimate insult to the fans.
While I find Phaneuf's post loss interviews annoying/tedious he at least has to man up and face the media unlike some of the other core players who are as invisible post game as they were during it. Some of these so called stars really need to look in the mirror after some of these no show efforts (specifically that 1st line).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Its aggrivating to see the Leafs D zone picked apart like that but on the other side of the coin it's enjoyabe to watch a team like Detroit who plays a team game, everyone knows their role, everyone does what they are supposed to do, they are always pressuring the puck carrier, they do a great job of making Toronto take their 2nd or 3rd option, which usually meant a turnover.

That pass from the corner into the slot killed the Leafs 3 times for 3 goals, clearly the coaching staff on Detroit saw a weakeness in Torontos game and exposed it perfectly. It sounds odd coming from a Leaf fan but I really enjoyed watching the Red Wings play last night.

I've liked watching the Wings since they got Scotty to coach them. They've played a smart game for a couple decades now. You have to wonder if it is good drafting or they just chose players who can learn, and are team first?

Datsyuk isn't long for the NHL now, but perhaps they do have some replacements coming up like Tatar, Jurco, Nyquist, ...

Yes, Leafs have some nice kids as well, but they don't have to fill large shoes, and won't be compared to players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and the gap in NHL time to Sundin is huge now.

Would results be different if all the players on the Leafs had to conform?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The difference in the game to me is quite simple, Leafs were lazy on a 3 goals Detroit scored. True Polak blew a tire, but I blame the coverage in front of the net on that play, then Zetterburg blew by one of our fastest D men. The goal from Nyquist was on another lazy defensive back check from the same Center that blew the coverage on the first goal. When this happens you are spotting 3 goals already.

Ironically the difference of the game.

3 goals that could have been prevented with more attention to detail last night.

The obvious was Kessel was outplayed by Zetterburg. When you best player is outplayed by the other team's best player, you are not going to have a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille