Post-Game Talk: Well I'm Freeeeeeee, Freeeee Fallin'... Pens -1, CBJ-2

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
This is complete garbage and made up BS.

Saad's work ethic was highly questioned and that's why he slipped in the draft. That's well known, eventhough it was mostly BS.

BB was drafted around 175 lbs and put on over 30 lbs in 3 years. To say he didn't dedicate himself in the weight room is a crock of ****.
I learned something new today.

Beau Bennett.. who consistently gets ragdolled and worked over along the boards, and who skates like he is in quicksand, is actually a model of physical strength and conditioning.

Thanks Jiggy. Nothing about Beau's game suggests that he is strong.. plain and simple he is a boy amongst men out there and that was painfully evident during these recent physical contests. Opposing forwards and defenders are overpowering him with ease. That speaks to a lack of strength and conditioning.

Think what you want Jiggy, but the results on the ice speak for themselves. Some guy on an internet message board's opinion doesn't mean much to me - I watch the film. The film indicates that he's weak.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I think the thing some people are missing here is that this isn't really a Sidney Crosby problem. Sid is far from the first star player to have his preferences. We should know that better than anyone having lived through the Mario/Jagr eras. It's fairly normal. The problem is a lack of genuine authority figures within the organization(Tocchet is a joke). From the coaching staff up through ownership. They simply need to do their jobs. The "**** Sid" stuff seems a little misplaced. He's only doing what most guys would do if given that kind of freedom. Those giving him that freedom are the real problem.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I'm going to throw something out there, and maybe someone already has and maybe I'm just a nut, whatever...

I don't think Sidney Crosby is a control freak. I don't think he's a bad teammate. I don't think he's a bad leader or a bad Captain. I believe he wants Chris Kunitz (and probably Pascal Dupuis) on his line.

It seems apparent that the coaching staff does not or did not. Perhaps the coaching staff actually does have power/control, but told Sid they'd have some amount of time to prove they should stick together.

Maybe that's why Sid is forcing so much to Kunitz, in a "please, just score so we can stick together" sort of attempt.

I think the first two paragraphs are completely accurate. but I think he forces to Kunitz because they have played so long together that he knows where he will be and just relies on that too much. He's not taking into account Kunitz is no longer Kunitz and he is not yet comfortable with Perron. I bet if Perron was on the LW with Horny in front they would get some chemistry real quick. Perron at least has the hands to complete these plays.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Shame on Letang for not using his powers of telekinesis to force Bennett to get the puck deep instead of lollygagging into a pickpocket in a horrible location during a linechange.

No idea what you're watching. Letang didn't even touch the puck and had no prayer of getting back when a forward turns the puck over in that location on what looks like an odd-man rush.

BB had the puck put into his feet and two Caps draped on him, he tried to poke it fwd and it went to a Cap. Pens were in a line change and Letang came outside his blueline and left the middle of the ice open.

You don't come that high on a kill as a blueliner in the middle of a change unless you are 100% sure the puck is going deep the other way. It's pk 101.

I learned something new today.

Beau Bennett.. who consistently gets ragdolled and worked over along the boards, and who skates like he is in quicksand, is actually a model of physical strength and conditioning.

Thanks Jiggy. Nothing about Beau's game suggests that he is strong.. plain and simple he is a boy amongst men out there and that was painfully evident during these recent physical contests. Opposing forwards and defenders are overpowering him with ease. That speaks to a lack of strength and conditioning.

Think what you want Jiggy, but the results on the ice speak for themselves. Some guy on an internet message board's opinion doesn't mean much to me - I watch the film. The film indicates that he's weak.

The guy put on 30 lbs from the time he was drafted until the time he stepped into the A. I guess he did that eating donuts and Big Macs?

For someone to make an asinine statement like he never made a commitment in the gym, when his coaches have all praised his work ethic to put on that weight in the gym, it's comical you think you know what the guy did.

As I said, you are spewing total BS. Again.

Last edited:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
The guy put on 30 lbs from the time he was drafted until the time he stepped into the A. I guess he did that eating donuts and Big Macs?

For someone to make an asinine statement like he never made a commitment in the gym, when his coaches have all praised him for doing exactly that, it's comical you think you know what the guy did.

You fail to recognize the reality that BB is consistently losing 50/50 puck battles, he's getting outmuscled on most shifts, and he is weak on the puck. That is an indicator of lack of strength. Like I said before, he is a boy amongst men out there.

He's not Sutter weak, but he's not that far behind..

When you formulate a logical argument and want to discuss it further, feel free to circle back.

Also.. if you follow the team, you will know that with Bennett's injuries, he wasn't able to hit the weights for an extended period of time. So his injury problems have exacerbated his strength issues, which are evident from watching the film.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
BB had the puck put into his feet and two Caps draped on him, he tried to poke it fwd and it went to a Cap. Pens were in a line change and Letang came outside his blueline and left the middle of the ice open.

You don't come that high on a kill as a blueliner in the middle of a change unless you are 100% sure the puck is going deep the other way. It's pk 101.

For someone to make an asinine statement like he never made a commitment in the gym, when his coaches have all praised his work ethic to put on that weight in the gym, it's comical you think you know what the guy did.

In other news, water is wet.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Geno hasn't looked better or more comfortable with anyone this year than he has with Bennett. Don't know why people have a hard time dealing with that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You fail to recognize the reality that BB is consistently losing 50/50 puck battles, he's getting outmuscled on most shifts, and he is weak on the puck. That is an indicator of lack of strength. Like I said before, he is a boy amongst men out there.

He's not Sutter weak, but he's not that far behind..

When you formulate a logical argument and want to discuss it further, feel free to circle back.

You admit his pivot is weak, but don't see the connection there?

He's winning board battles and getting loose pucks. His line can't cycle worth **** as long as Sutter is out there providing nothing for that line. If you want BB to go out there and power off the wall all alone and be a one many cycle, that's fantasy land ****. He isn't built that way and never will be.

I can think of only half a dozen guys who can be a one man cycle in this league right now.

You need three guys all on the same page to get an effective cycle. It's why Crosby's line and Malkin's line isn't cycling worth **** either.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Well, if his story about the lineup decision with kunitz a few weeks ago is true, this this entire team needs blown up because this group is done. And that includes the coaches and upper management.

Easier, bring in a coach who can impose his will, someone like Babcock...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm going to throw something out there, and maybe someone already has and maybe I'm just a nut, whatever...

I don't think Sidney Crosby is a control freak. I don't think he's a bad teammate. I don't think he's a bad leader or a bad Captain. I believe he wants Chris Kunitz (and probably Pascal Dupuis) on his line.

It seems apparent that the coaching staff does not or did not. Perhaps the coaching staff actually does have power/control, but told Sid they'd have some amount of time to prove they should stick together.

Maybe that's why Sid is forcing so much to Kunitz, in a "please, just score so we can stick together" sort of attempt.

Which is why Kunitz has to go. As long as he's on the roster, Sid will want to play with him. I don't think Sid is a control freak either, but he is a self-admitted creature of habit.

In terms of voices in the room, JR said before the year began he wanted to bring in at least one strong personality that could help in the room. Removing Kunitz and Adams, and bringing in a Guerin or Gary Roberts would certainly help our situation. There just aren't a whole lot of guys like that left. Maybe Shane Doan.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

He's winning board battles and getting loose pucks. His line can't cycle worth **** as long as Sutter is out there providing nothing for that line. If you want BB to go out there and power off the wall all alone and be a one many cycle, that's fantasy land ****. He isn't built that way and never will be.

I can think of only half a dozen guys who can be a one man cycle in this league right now.

You need three guys all on the same page to get an effective cycle. It's why Crosby's line and Malkin's line isn't cycling worth **** either.
That's probably a fair point. Sutter is a big problem and his ineffective play has turned the 3rd line into somewhat of a black hole. Not only is Sutter struggling to make simple 10 foot passes in the offensive zone, he has no cycle game whatsoever.

It's difficult to evaluate BB's play given those circumstances, but when you consider the players who are ahead of him on the depth chart.. it seems like he'll be in that 3rd line purgatory for the foreseeable future. That is, unless the 3rd line has some sort of offensive awakening. Not getting my hopes up though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
When you think about it though, it does make alot of sense.

Top 2 lines continue to struggle to produce? Move Downie up to the 3rd line and Bennett down for a few shifts. It makes zero sense until you read this latest stuff. Something else has to be going on like that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's probably a fair point. Sutter is a big problem and his ineffective play has turned the 3rd line into somewhat of a black hole. Not only is Sutter struggling to make simple 10 foot passes in the offensive zone, he has no cycle game whatsoever.

It's difficult to evaluate BB's play given those circumstances, but when you consider the players who are ahead of him on the depth chart.. it seems like he'll be in that 3rd line purgatory for the foreseeable future. That is, unless the 3rd line has some sort of offensive awakening. Not getting my hopes up though.

He probably will be stuck there, or on the bench. This team can't develop skilled fwds, so if he busts, well, I'm used to it.

Meanwhile up in the top six, it's going like clockwork. Don't want to bust up that sweet, sweet chemistry.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh

The Sutter point is a good one, and one of the things I have finally spotted this year as a reason why his possession numbers are so putrid. He is insanely bad at cycling the puck. He drags that entire line down with him because of this. He either scores off the rush or he doesn't score. Don't evaluate BB on his play with Sutter. He isn't perfect but he is better than he looks with that puck possession black hole

EDIT: didn't read down far enough and I think Cassius said pretty much this exact same thing already lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad