Post-Game Talk: Well I'm Freeeeeeee, Freeeee Fallin'... Pens -1, CBJ-2

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Yeah, still wrist issues for Sid. Great.

I don't know how this was ever in doubt really. I get that he's always been a pass first guy but he's never gone this far out of his way to avoid shooting. It's been pretty obvious for a while that the wrist is still an issue. I was at the Wings game last week and you could see him rotating it and wincing between whistles quite a bit.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Sutter point is a good one, and one of the things I have finally spotted this year as a reason why his possession numbers are so putrid. He is insanely bad at cycling the puck. He drags that entire line down with him because of this. He either scores off the rush or he doesn't score. Don't evaluate BB on his play with Sutter. He isn't perfect but he is better than he looks with that puck possession black hole

EDIT: didn't read down far enough and I think Cassius said pretty much this exact same thing already lol

The pivot is a lynchpin on every good cycling line you will find.

BB isn't going to physically dominate down low, but he can cycle and win puck battles fine. However, without support from his pivot, what do people honestly want him to do? He took over the Chicago game and got them to OT, but he isn't going to be a guy who carries his line night in and night out right now, maybe ever.

Expecting him to do everything on his own agt heavy teams that clog up the NZ is pretty unrealistic.

Crosby and Malkin aren't even effective agt that **** without help.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
MM is saying some good stuff. Said the sid-kunitz thing is too much and that BB and Sutter don't work together because they're both too "skinny and tall"

Last edited:

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
He also just said Kunitz isn't a top-6 player.

EDIT: Says its time to try BB in top-six, says something like "if he's not in the top-six he shouldn't play at all"

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
MM is saying some good stuff. Said the sid-kunitz thing is too much, says to try BB or Downie in top-6 and that BB and Sutter don't work together because they're both too "skinny and tall"

He also just said Kunitz isn't a top-6 player.

EDIT: Says its time to try BB in top-six, says something like "if he's not in the top-six he shouldn't play at all"

Except for the items that are clear BS intended to provoke, MM never had an original hockey thought in his life. He rides the crest of what's popular at the moment. As you have noted.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i think yinz readin that Dubinsky quote a tad too literally. If Sid's wrist was still f'd up, I don't think he's telling the dirtiest player on the other team.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
i think yinz readin that Dubinsky quote a tad too literally. If Sid's wrist was still f'd up, I don't think he's telling the dirtiest player on the other team.
At the same time, he shouldn't be telling him even if the pain is a new injury.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I could easily see Sid saying "ok bro we both made our point. i'm tired and my wrist hurts. shut it down." as the fight came near it's end or they had a chat in the penalty box about it. Like "hey Sid, why you strugglin' bro? Whats up?"

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
BB had the puck put into his feet and two Caps draped on him, he tried to poke it fwd and it went to a Cap. Pens were in a line change and Letang came outside his blueline and left the middle of the ice open.

You don't come that high on a kill as a blueliner in the middle of a change unless you are 100% sure the puck is going deep the other way. It's pk 101.

What a load of horse ****. Adams forced a turnover (rare good play), chipped the puck to Bennett and, instead of whacking the puck deep and going for a change, Bennett pushed it up to try a guy. Late on a shift. On a penalty kill he doesn't even know how to play.

If a D sees that on a penalty kill, he assumes the forward is 100% that he's clear. It's a matter of trust.

That Bennett had no chance of beating the Capital--even if he kept the puck, he's still not free--but tried him anyway, is why Ovechkin scored.

It is also why Bennett will never kill a penalty for Mike Johnston again. Or probably any other coach that sees tape on that. Ridiculously irresponsible play that belongs next to the no-look backhand pass that went to Luke Schenn in the high slot against Philadelphia when we had been tilting the ice before that.

But sure. Letang's older than 25 now, so let's just blame him for any absurdly stupid play any younger player than him makes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
"I hurt my wrist climbing off your mom."

Come on though. From 54% on face offs to 50%, we know the wrist isn't 100%.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
For BB to be effective his line needs to possess the puck so he has opportunities to make plays and set up his linemates. Right now MJ is asking him to play on a line with 2 subpar possession players against other teams' top lines. It's no wonder he is not killing it every night. The fact that he ever has nights like he did a few games ago where he had like 10 shots is unbelievable. Using him on Sutter's line hurts both Sutter's line and Bennett as an individual.

Best move right now is to put Kunitz with Downie and Sutter on the 3rd, put Beau somewhere in the top 6, and put Spaling on the 4th with Lap and Adams (only because I know he won't ever be scratched). MJ is trying to put too many square pegs in round holes right now. The roster is performing well under their talent level right now so shake ups need to occur.

Last edited:

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Agreed. Madden said Lemieux did the same thing but the difference was that they won. This group isn't.

that, and mario also changed his game in the playoffs those 2 years they won the cup. he listened to badger that 1st year and did it again the following year

he concentrated on coming back into the defensive zone. something he rarely did in the reg season

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I'm going to throw something out there, and maybe someone already has and maybe I'm just a nut, whatever...

I don't think Sidney Crosby is a control freak. I don't think he's a bad teammate. I don't think he's a bad leader or a bad Captain. I believe he wants Chris Kunitz (and probably Pascal Dupuis) on his line.

It seems apparent that the coaching staff does not or did not. Perhaps the coaching staff actually does have power/control, but told Sid they'd have some amount of time to prove they should stick together.

Maybe that's why Sid is forcing so much to Kunitz, in a "please, just score so we can stick together" sort of attempt.

i agree

he's loyal to a fault and perhaps prefers the known regarding his linemates

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Indeed. Bowman said Lemieux was the Penguins' best defensive forward during the 92 finals. He was a beast all over the ice dominating games and scoring key goals.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What a load of horse ****. Adams forced a turnover (rare good play), chipped the puck to Bennett and, instead of whacking the puck deep and going for a change, Bennett pushed it up to try a guy. Late on a shift. On a penalty kill he doesn't even know how to play.

If a D sees that on a penalty kill, he assumes the forward is 100% that he's clear. It's a matter of trust.

That Bennett had no chance of beating the Capital--even if he kept the puck, he's still not free--but tried him anyway, is why Ovechkin scored.

It is also why Bennett will never kill a penalty for Mike Johnston again. Or probably any other coach that sees tape on that. Ridiculously irresponsible play that belongs next to the no-look backhand pass that went to Luke Schenn in the high slot against Philadelphia when we had been tilting the ice before that.

But sure. Letang's older than 25 now, so let's just blame him for any absurdly stupid play any younger player than him makes.

Ya, let's watch this play without your agenda driven recap shall we? Starting at 1:50:

The puck comes to BB and he instantly has a Cap drapped on him. His stick is across BB body as the puck ****ing arrives, but BB still manges to push the puck up ice as best he can, where it gets intercepted.

If only BB was the Toxic Avenger you long for. He would have thrown the Cap player into the second row and put a slapshot from center ice through Holtby's chest for a goal, just out of pure boredom.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Ya, let's watch this play without your agenda driven recap shall we? Starting at 1:50:

The puck comes to BB and he instantly has a Cap drapped on him. His stick is across BB body, but BB still manges to push the puck up ice as best he can, where it gets intercepted.

If only BB was the Toxic Avenger you long for. He would have thrown the Cap player into the second row and put a slapshot from center ice through Holtby's chest for a goal, just out of pure boredom.

Yeah Bennett wasn't really at fault there. He receives a poor pass with no space at the end of his shift. The d went for a change far too soon which was the problem.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah Bennett wasn't really at fault there. He receives a poor pass with no space at the end of his shift. The d went for a change far too soon which was the problem.

Which is why Letang needs to stay behind his own blueline.

He's played great hockey this season so I'm not going to rag on him for it. But again, it had nothing to do with the Toxic Avengers from the Caps casting Pens aside with their mops and potting pucks into empty nets.

Mental breakdowns and a crap PP are the biggest culprits that cost them the last two games, not the Toxic Avenger, Slug and Bozo.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

He's played great hockey this season so I'm not going to rag on him for it. But again, it had nothing to do with the Toxic Avengers from the Caps casting Pens aside with their mops and potting pucks into empty nets.

Mental breakdowns and a crap PP are the biggest culprits that cost them the last two games, not the Toxic Avenger, Slug and Bozo.

Line changes have been a huge culprit in general this year. So many too many men penalties and odd man rushes as a result. That points to a coach who isn't effectively instilling discipline and accountability in his players. When you've got 4th line scrubs like Adams extending shifts to 2 minutes and refusing to change despite the coach emphasizing short shifts you'e got a coach who the players don't respect. I wouldn't respect Johnston if I was a Penguin. He plays favorites and that is the single worst quality a coach can have. Make friends somewhere else, a coach's job is to be the boss and your boss can't be your friend if you want to succeed at this level.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Letang is of no fault as well. just a poorly timed change, and Adams worried so much he took the time to pick up his stick and chase.

I wouldn't blame anyone who was actually entrenched on the ice except the ones changing on a 50/50 battle that changed to 70/30 in a split second.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Letang is of no fault as well. just a poorly timed change, and Adams worried so much he took the time to pick up his stick and chase.

I wouldn't blame anyone who was actually entrenched on the ice except the ones changing on a 50/50 battle that changed to 70/30 in a split second.

If you are killing a penalty and you are the far side blueliner when there is a change, you HAVE to hold the middle.

You are taught that from a young age. You can't leave that middle exposed on a change and go for a skate. You have to hold back behind the blueline.

Letang was trying to support and I get what he was doing, but the reality is he made a mistake and he knows that. It all happened in a split second so **** happens.

I'm more pissed about Bort and Comeau making their mental mistakes, especially Comeau.

May 10, 2010
I like how a week ago Dejan was all like "they tired omg 2 games in a row stupid fans cut them some slack" and now is like "everything is on fire! they soft! crosby is runnin the show!"

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

That was all on Letang. You really need to shove off on that one.

The Schenn play is another demonstration of some people's ignorance. We've been saying for how long now that the team has no clue how to break out once the boards are taken away. He made the right play, he just made a horrible pass.

You're way off on this one. Way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad