Post-Game Talk (GBU): Welcome to Buffalo, Jack! [Mod Warning: Post #101]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I agree it was a different league. From a goal total standpoint, goals are down around 7% from 2008 to 2014, although I would agree that is has probably reduced the point totals for the top players by a larger amount. If you reduce Pat Kane's total of 72 by 7% you get 67 points or so.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/average-goals-scored-per-game-in-the-nhl.aspx

Season Total Goals Scored Goals Per Game (Per Team) Total Goals Per Game
2014 6,549 2.66 5.32
2013 6,573 2.67 5.34
2012 3,822 2.65 5.31
2011 6,545 2.66 5.32
2010 6,721 2.73 5.46
2009 6,803 2.77 5.53
2008 7,006 2.85 5.70

I would guess 60 is the new 70. Would be thrilled with 60 point rookie season for Eichel.
McDavid will get more points because of how far along the Oilers offensive talent is currently at,,,, having
said that, if Kane and ROR are on his wing, then GAME ON. :D

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I love McDavid. If he didn't exist we wouldn't get to have Eichel.

Good point. I haven't thought of it this way.

That's why whenever anyone says they're bummed over McDavid I genuinely see it the other way.

I am still a little bummed though. But not as much as the most bummed:
1. Connor McDavid
2. Arizona Coyotes

Love Eichel, but would have been great if we won the lottery. Here is a generational player (McDavid) who could end up being one of the top 10 best players ever, who would have been thrilled if the Sabres drafted him. Instead, he was ready to puke his guts up on live TV when Edmonton won the lottery.

I guess I shouldn't worry about the kid (and future millionaire)....because we got Eichel!!!!!!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I know it is early, but can Eichel beat Pat Kane's rookie year point total of 72? The Hawks were 40-34 and finished 10th in the Western Conference. I would argue that they probably had more talent (or at least more mature talent) around Kane than Eichel will have. I am not sure what the experts were saying about how ready Pat Kane was for his rookie year, was he declared to be as "NHL ready" as Eichel?

I would be thrilled if Eichel hit 70 points, or even 60.

Eichel is good. I'm just wonder if we are expecting to much from him as an 18 year old.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Drafting at 3 sucks compared to 1 or 2 but you have to look at the bright side. Whoever you draft will be your best prospect since OEL and could even surpass him.

I keep telling myself that, it helps along with strome highlights. I just have to avoid McDavid and eichel, which is hard to do.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

CELRV-RWIAEbt2E.jpg

Per THN it's on sale later this week.

Note: that is the US edition.

Canada's looks like

CEKt4z3WIAEPlhG.jpg

FWIW, I just received my copy in the mail as a US subscriber and it was the McDavid cover - so I suspect the distribution wasn't as much a US-Canadian distinction as it was an East Coast-West Coast distinction. In the past, living in AZ/CA, I always got the Season Preview, Draft Preview or special theme issues with players from one of the West Coast teams i.e. LA, Anaheim, etc.

Other than the Eichel - McDavid covers, the rest of the issue is the same. I was a little miffed that the Eichel article is only 3 pages while the McDavid-Oilers lead article is 6 pages long.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
I guess superficially, Eichel looks more like a 'person' rather than McDavid, who seems Crosby-eque, where he has been groomed to be an NHL player since he was 13.

I like that Eichel has fun. It should bring some much needed positive/fun personaility to the lockers.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Jack will be in Buffalo in 2 weeks ! Anyone know if the combine is open to the public ?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There's no on-ice component to it, so I'm not sure what there'd be for the public to see
There is this year isn't there? I'm not sure if it's happening this year or next but there's going to be a big movement to more of the combine activities being on ice and less about meaningless weight exercises. I thought I read that they cut out over half of the old exercises this year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
There is this year isn't there? I'm not sure if it's happening this year or next but there's going to be a big movement to more of the combine activities being on ice and less about meaningless weight exercises. I thought I read that they cut out over half of the old exercises this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761694 There's mention of changing some of the testing involved. I don't know about future years, but there's no mention of any on ice component for this year, nor does the partial schedule they detail really allow any time for it that I can see.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761694 There's mention of changing some of the testing involved. I don't know about future years, but there's no mention of any on ice component for this year, nor does the partial schedule they detail really allow any time for it that I can see.

I believe the HARBORCENTER/Combine announcement presser had someone asked about the possibility of on-ice testing. He said it's something that could be possible due to this facility. Won't be in the format this year but they'll continue to discuss the possibility in the future.

Bps21*

Just let Eichel lift some cars over his head outside of the building for fans to cheer on.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Jack will be in Buffalo in 2 weeks ! Anyone know if the combine is open to the public ?
No, not this year at least per AP:
Campbell said the NHL does not plan to introduce on-ice testing or open the combine to the public in 2015. The league, however, will look into those options now that there is more space at HarborCenter.
However, "Black said the Sabres are pondering some sort of FanFest activities during the week the Combine is in town." Further, what we do know:
The Sabres' plan is for testing to be held at one rink in HarborCenter, where the ice will be taken out, and teams will be able to use suites in First Niagara Center to conduct interviews.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Jack Eichel Takes Home More Than Bronze
PRAGUE – Jack Eichel may be coming home from the Czech Republic with a bronze medal, but what he’s taking away from the 2015 IIHF World Championships is far more valuable than any precious metals. If there were any doubts about whether he’s NHL ready, they are not only erased but completely obliterated.

TSN: Eichel a superstar in the making (1:55)
Rod Black, Bob Errey, and Dave Reid break down Jack Eichel's game against the Czechs and say he's already proving that he can keep up with everyone else on the ice.

Last edited:

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Eichel facts

Eichel once killed two stones with one bird,Eichel sleeps with a pillow under his gun,Eichel won connect for in three moves Eichel once won the world series of poker with uno cards.last known fact the boogy man checks under his bed for Jack Eichel!!!!!

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
FWIW, I just received my copy in the mail as a US subscriber and it was the McDavid cover - so I suspect the distribution wasn't as much a US-Canadian distinction as it was an East Coast-West Coast distinction. In the past, living in AZ/CA, I always got the Season Preview, Draft Preview or special theme issues with players from one of the West Coast teams i.e. LA, Anaheim, etc.

Just got my copy, too, and it was the McDavid cover. :madfire: Might have to print out the Eichel cover and tape/staple/glue it over the McDavid one. :laugh:

Since I'm in Buffalo, that would rule out an east/west coast split. That one tweet above does seem to imply that the Eichel cover is newsstand exclusive, which (if true), is a bit unfair if you ask me.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just got my copy, too, and it was the McDavid cover. :madfire: Might have to print out the Eichel cover and tape/staple/glue it over the McDavid one. :laugh:

Since I'm in Buffalo, that would rule out an east/west coast split. That one tweet above does seem to imply that the Eichel cover is newsstand exclusive, which (if true), is a bit unfair if you ask me.

Yeah, what I read is that the Eichel cover is for US newsstands only. Canadian newsstands and all subscriptions get the McDavid cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad