Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Jack Eichel & Evander Kane: A Matchup Nightmare
Joseph Vito DeLuca - The Hockey Writers

The days of “suffering†finally seem to be in the past as Hockey Heaven’s savior is soon to make his grand entrance. Dreaming of Buffalo’s Future with Jack Eichel is what Sabres fans find themselves doing most days. The Hockey News has even put the Hobey Baker winner in Sabres garbs to help with the visualization. So now seems like a perfect time to take a deeper look into the crystal ball, specifically how a combination of Eichel and Evander Kane could play out on the ice.

Karate Johnson*

So after the whole downer of not winning the lotto I'm totally and completely indifferent to McDavid. Don't care about him, don't want him. Eichel is my dude.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I can't wait to watch Eichel and Kane together. It's going to make the misery of going through this past season SO worth it. Even if the team doesn't improve a ton in the overall standings, having something exciting to cheer for again is going to be so refreshing.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
So after the whole downer of not winning the lotto I'm totally and completely indifferent to McDavid. Don't care about him, don't want him. Eichel is my dude.

McDavid is still better, it's just that we luckily tanked in a year with the equivalent of Crosby+ and Federov going 1 and 2.

Eichel looks incredible out there.

Bps21*

Thank God they didn't change it to 3 lotto picks this year. And that we finished last. If we were drafting 3...there's no coming back from that lol

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
He really is that good. It's scary.

On a sidenote someone needs to tie down Jeremy White. He's getting a bit stalker-ish in his writeups.

Well then I guess he's among thousands of other WNY "stalkers". Only difference is he has an avenue through which he can voice his observations.

I can tell you that I have NEVER paid as much attention the the World Championship as this year. An that's by a factor of like 1000 times. The only reason for that is that I want to see how Jack Eichel performs as he takes his game up to another level of competition - against established NHLers, KHLers and European pros.

He's done well and I don't have any problems with someone being enthusiastic - including myself! I'm liking what I am seeing.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I can't wait to watch Eichel and Kane together. It's going to make the misery of going through this past season SO worth it. Even if the team doesn't improve a ton in the overall standings, having something exciting to cheer for again is going to be so refreshing.

Just imagine if Murray is able to trade for O'Reilly - I'd imagine that ROR would be the RW for Eichel-Kane to add some defensive and faceoff insurance like the Avs did in MacKinnon's rookie year.

Kane-Eichel-O'Reilly
Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis
Girgensons-Larsson-Gionta

That's a vastly-improved top 9 from last season with two very potent offensive lines and a strong checking 3rd line IMO.

I still can't get over the fact that he's going #2 overall.

Wouldn't it be the irony of the ironies if, after all the fallout from the draft lottery, Eichel's showing at IIHF prompts the Oilers to pick him 1st and leave McDavid to Buffalo? I doubt that happens but what if....?

On a sidenote someone needs to tie down Jeremy White. He's getting a bit stalker-ish in his writeups.

Simon and White have been drooling over McDavid and Eichel since the tank season began last fall.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Mystery man is actually a distraught Coyotes scout who refuses to accept the inevitable. :sarcasm:

And, hey, Eich seemed pretty happy with how the shirt looked.

Very possible, after his WC play they should be distraught :laugh:. Popped in to see the beer swigging superheros highlights, dear lord he's impressive. Hard to stay excited for strome at 3(even though I really like his game) after seeing eichel do this and McDavid continue to shred the OHL playoffs haha.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
This may seem a little strange and or crazy - but after watching Eichel's performance @ the world champs im wondering if the Oilers this hes more suited as #1 overall.

Bps21*

it honestly wouldn't matter if he was averaging a hatrick a game...the McDavid brand is too big to pass on and he's viewed as the unanimous #1 on top of that. No team could or would pass on him.

This isn't about mcdavid vs. Eichel anymore...that's decided. This is about how fortunate we are to have this ridiculous level of prospect available at 2. That's why whenever anyone says they're bummed over McDavid I genuinely see it the other way. I love McDavid. If he didn't exist we wouldn't get to have Eichel.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Very possible, after his WC play they should be distraught :laugh:. Popped in to see the beer swigging superheros highlights, dear lord he's impressive. Hard to stay excited for strome at 3(even though I really like his game) after seeing eichel do this and McDavid continue to shred the OHL playoffs haha.

Drafting at 3 sucks compared to 1 or 2 but you have to look at the bright side. Whoever you draft will be your best prospect since OEL and could even surpass him.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
This may seem a little strange and or crazy - but after watching Eichel's performance @ the world champs im wondering if the Oilers this hes more suited as #1 overall.

McDavid is a better prospect than Eichel but in the current NHL, Eichel's style of play(power forward with speed) will translate better. This means whatever gap there is might even disappear once they are both in the NHL. I also think Eichel could become incredible defensively using his speed and power on the backcheck. He looks so talented in his own end I am starting to think Eichel could play defense in the NHL if he wanted to.

onebeforeidieplease

Nov 17, 2014
Can Eichel Eclipse Pat Kane's Rookie Year Pt Total?

I know it is early, but can Eichel beat Pat Kane's rookie year point total of 72? The Hawks were 40-34 and finished 10th in the Western Conference. I would argue that they probably had more talent (or at least more mature talent) around Kane than Eichel will have. I am not sure what the experts were saying about how ready Pat Kane was for his rookie year, was he declared to be as "NHL ready" as Eichel?

I would be thrilled if Eichel hit 70 points, or even 60.

Here are the stats for the Blackhawks from 2007-2008:
Player GP G A Pts PIM
Patrick Kane 76 21 51 72 50
Patrick Sharp 74 36 26 62 49
Robert Lang 71 21 33 54 44
Jonathan Toews 58 24 30 54 38
Dustin Byfuglien 63 19 17 36 55
Jason Williams 19 7 11 18 10
Andrew Ladd 57 14 16 30 31
Duncan Keith 76 12 20 32 44
Martin Havlat 37 10 17 27 22
Brent Seabrook 76 9 18 17 85

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Kane came into a much different NHL.

in 2008, 70 points got you tied for 32nd in the league

In 2015, 70 points would get you tied for 17th.

I do think Eichel will get a chance to be a #1 center for the Sabres, but I'm tempering my expectations quite a bit in terms of production.

onebeforeidieplease

Nov 17, 2014
I agree it was a different league. From a goal total standpoint, goals are down around 7% from 2008 to 2014, although I would agree that is has probably reduced the point totals for the top players by a larger amount. If you reduce Pat Kane's total of 72 by 7% you get 67 points or so.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/average-goals-scored-per-game-in-the-nhl.aspx

Season Total Goals Scored Goals Per Game (Per Team) Total Goals Per Game
2014 6,549 2.66 5.32
2013 6,573 2.67 5.34
2012 3,822 2.65 5.31
2011 6,545 2.66 5.32
2010 6,721 2.73 5.46
2009 6,803 2.77 5.53
2008 7,006 2.85 5.70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events