Post-Game Talk: Welcome to 1984

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
A day later, great win, gave up an early goal, didn't sink or panic, stayed all over them, created alot of chances while limiting New York, and just won going away.

This team is better, and I trust they'll keep showing us this.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fully agree, I watched the interviews since tippet got hired and he stated numerous times that he is not this coach who deploys a super defensive only strategy, seems like he rightfully got annoyed with those questions.

I’ve also seen posters suggest that Drai is selke worthy and I tend to agree with that as well. More high end talent than his stars and a potential selke winner/proven top 5 scorer in Draisaitl. Watching them play is night and day and while we have plenty of skill, it wouldn’t work if like you said, they’re not working hard away from the puck like they are.

There was a play in the Jersey game where Drai, shorthanded, dives, literally dives to tip a puck out, sliding on the ice to get it out. Whens the last time you've seen OV do that?

The special thing about our superstars is they don't think they are special, they are down to earth guys prepared to do the work, whatever it takes, to get the job done. That was always the saving grace here that we had two very special players with really good work like attitudes. Of course when the rest of the team see's the tireless work rate of those two, and Nuge and Nurse and Klef. It spreads around easily. In the absence of a wet log like Lucic this team models hard work, and it does that from up high. The captains look like it on this squad. Its easy for players to get behind the core of this squad, they are so likeable.

McD could be the most likable athlete in pro team sports.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
There was a play in the Jersey game where Drai, shorthanded, dives, literally dives to tip a puck out, sliding on the ice to get it out. Whens the last time you've seen OV do that?

The special thing about our superstars is they don't think they are special, they are down to earth guys prepared to do the work, whatever it takes, to get the job done. That was always the saving grace here that we had two very special players with really good work like attitudes. Of course when the rest of the team see's the tireless work rate of those two, and Nuge and Nurse and Klef. It spreads around easily. In the absence of a wet log like Lucic this team models hard work, and it does that from up high. The captains look like it on this squad. Its easy for players to get behind the core of this squad, they are so likeable.

McD could be the most likable athlete in pro team sports.

Don't disagree but cmon - I've seen Ovi sacrifice EVERYTHING for a play, and most other superstars.
It's what separates them

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Your first key is wrong. They breakout through the middle way more now then in recent memory. It's too easy to cover the boards and Tipp realizes that. The only way to have a successful breakout is by using the entire ice surface.

The rest of his post is on point but I was thinking this too. A lot less perimeter play overall in this system (which Snowpants pointed out in the rest of his post). Tippett is a premier coach and the league missed him in his absence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't disagree but cmon - I've seen Ovi sacrifice EVERYTHING for a play, and most other superstars.
It's what separates them

OV, known for "connector disconnected" floating back on the play not even taking one stride while the opponents score a crucial goal in the playoffs, in a series he lost. That's a vision that never goes away, nor was it one play. It was often painful to see how little care OV exhibited in coming back on the play.

The main time OV really gave all both ends of the ice was under Trotz, and its the only major success the team has had.

At the risk of generalizing, in recent decades some of the Russian stars haven't been all that great in all zone play. Russian players used to be pretty complete at that but if theres a criticism its their all zone play.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
William Laggeson says hi
Hi, William Lagesson.

Soon to be 24 year old with no NHL experience who loses his waiver exemption at the end of this season.

We're not even sure he's Matt Benning good, let alone going out there against the other team's top threats night in, night out.

Talking about moving Larsson is incredibly premature.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I believe we have room due to the LTIR+trading Larssons cap. Obviously the deal wouldn’t until later in the season when the cap hit would be lower

Larsson isn’t out for the entire season. Once he’s back we lose the LTIR space and are back to having next to nothing for cap space.

LTIR cap space can’t be banked like that.

WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Aug 26, 2018
Hi, William Lagesson.

Soon to be 24 year old with no NHL experience who loses his waiver exemption at the end of this season.

We're not even sure he's Matt Benning good, let alone going out there against the other team's top threats night in, night out.

Talking about moving Larsson is incredibly premature.
im not saying to move Larsson, all I am saying is Lagesson has a similar skill set. The past two years Larsson has been our worst D, so he hasn't exactly set a high bar to surpass. If benning was the playing the way Larsson has been playing he would have been in the minors but Larsson has reputation thing going for him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
im not saying to move Larsson, all I am saying is Lagesson has a similar skill set. The past two years Larsson has been our worst D, so he hasn't exactly set a high bar to surpass. If benning was the playing the way Larsson has been playing he would have been in the minors but Larsson has reputation thing going for him.
He's been the worst relative to his position in the lineup. He has struggled being the main guy when Sekera and Klefbom were out. But deploy Benning as Larsson was and he'd drown in a couple of games, and I don't really mind Benning tbh, good 3rd D even though I normally would prefer prospects in that place. Still though, Larsson has been way off these last seasons and needs to have a bit of a bounce back season. Too bad he got injured right away (even though that gave us the chance to see Bear). I hope when he gets back he can come in and find the joy of playing again and find a place in the new system. He is still a young man and Larsson if 14/15, 15/16 or 16/17 would be a great add for this team. The talk of trading him is imho not even remotely serious, Holland would never do that without even knowing what he has in him under the new coach (preseason is not a good tell and honestly I don't think he looked bad in his first game before getting injured).

Edit:
Lagesson Larsson could be an interesting pair next season if Larsson finds his game again. Lagesson is a bit underrated as puckmover and I think their games could very well complement eachother.
Nurse Bear
Klefbom Persson
Lagesson Larsson
Benning

Last edited:
Reactions: WhyYouHaveToBeMad

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
OV, known for "connector disconnected" floating back on the play not even taking one stride while the opponents score a crucial goal in the playoffs, in a series he lost. That's a vision that never goes away, nor was it one play. It was often painful to see how little care OV exhibited in coming back on the play.

The main time OV really gave all both ends of the ice was under Trotz, and its the only major success the team has had.

At the risk of generalizing, in recent decades some of the Russian stars haven't been all that great in all zone play. Russian players used to be pretty complete at that but if theres a criticism its their all zone play.

Agree about Russians.

But even Gretz floated at times.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
This talk about trading Larsson is absurd.
One, it's only a few games.
And B, the guys a friggin animal. He hurts people. He's Pronger mean at times. Granted, it's been a while, but - like James Neil - I'm still willing to wait longer for a return to form.

Reactions: McClelland

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Its the lazy absence of thought. Tippett is flexible. The scheme in Arizona is what it was because the team had limited talent depth and had to play games that way to have any chance of success, they didn't have options.

Like I've said many times Tippett didn't have elite scoring talent to work with prior to here. He and other pundits even stated the Oilers would be entertaining and produce lots of opportunities under him. One of the things is away from the puck this is night and day a better squad. When they don't have the puck they are working as units to get it back and the number of smart multi player pressures on pucks is off the charts. Any opponent bobble or miscue and we have the puck back. Drai working perfectly into this scheme as well is being a puck taking demon. All our topsix players are good at stealing lunch money. This is an excellent counter/transition team now and the players are seeing how fun defensive awareness is and how much opposition its producing.

Its hard to keep up this kind of pace all the time but also the team isn't in top gear all the time. They're being a very strong back half club. They're taking games over midway. They're finding ways to win games they don't play as well in. But lastly having the puck expends less energy than not having it. Playing D and getting trapped is the most taxing thing and that's what we are doing to opponents.

The Penguins in some of their cup runs were like that. Just strangling the opposition with puck control and being all over the puck. It starts to be overwhelming.

The biggest problem with Tippett’s systems is that they result in higher cap hit contracts for everybody. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad