Post-Game Talk: Welcome to 1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agree about Russians.

But even Gretz floated at times.
It was a main critique of Gretzky but even if he gave up GA his reward to risk tangible was pretty good putting up 200pts ;)

Putting Gretz up high and keeping him up there was always a nightmare for opposition. Crazy times where the opponent D back out of the offensive zone (for fear) and the puck go out because neither D is in the offensive zone. heh.

Gretz being like a cheat code for offense impacted so many opponents who were never as comfortable to attack forward as they would otherwise be. In Gretz case a god offense produced some inadvertent Defence. If you look at it that way.

Drai is such a strong transition player, who can move the puck up in so many ways he's stirring the same fear in opposition. Then you have the Nuclear warhead McD destroying all in its wake at top speed and the tandem is about as perfect as it comes in hockey.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Great post. I agree with you on all points. Larsson is a great shutdown, punishing d when he is on the problem is he has not been that for the past 2 years. If he does not regain his form, when the expansion rolls around I would leave him unprotected. Hopefully by that time lagesson is ready to step into that role. I am also not saying Benning is better than Larsson but as you mentioned given their positions in the line up/salary, Benning has out performed Larsson.

So you'd leave Larsson unprotected in an expansion draft rather than trying to get some asset for him prior to that? Why?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This pretty much confirms what I saw today.....

20192020_20061_cfdiff_5v5.png

One of the things I love about analytics (I'm being entirely sarcastic) is how they reinvent data display and even graphs in which the visually presented information is virtually impossible to decipher without the secret decoder...

In what planet of statistics does a graph have two different scales on either end, that are polar opposites?

One would need a primer to even make sense of this stuff.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Great post. I agree with you on all points. Larsson is a great shutdown, punishing d when he is on the problem is he has not been that for the past 2 years. If he does not regain his form, when the expansion rolls around I would leave him unprotected. Hopefully by that time lagesson is ready to step into that role. I am also not saying Benning is better than Larsson but as you mentioned given their positions in the line up/salary, Benning has out performed Larsson.

Woo boy

Couldn't get Benning to the airport fast enough a couple weeks ago, now we're trading Larrson ahead of him!!

This place is funny!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So you'd leave Larsson unprotected in an expansion draft rather than trying to get some asset for him prior to that? Why?
It's kind of a moot point since his contract expires in 2021. He won't need to be protected because he won't be signed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's kind of a moot point since his contract expires in 2021. He won't need to be protected because he won't be signed.

So you trade him as early as possible, right? What am I missing. Its 2019.

If the scenario is the Oilers do not resign him, and I'm not sure why a new GM would, then we just lose him for nothing if we don't deal him soon.

Again why not just get an asset?

Are the Oilers worried in the optics of the ultimate deal breakdown being Taylor Hall for 2nd or 3rd pick?

Is it better to not do that and get nothing?

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I think that the optics won't matter to Holland. Wasn't his blunder. I trust Ken to make the proper decisions with Adam moving forward to help the team.

If the scenario is the Oilers do not resign him, and I'm not sure why a new GM would, then we just lose him for nothing if we don't deal him soon.

Are the Oilers worried in the optics of the ultimate deal breakdown being Taylor Hall for 2nd or 3rd pick?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
How soon we forget. Larson is top 3 on most teams in this league. Dont let a few wins cloud our resources on d. Some other guys on the farm need to develop and excel, before shipping this guy out. We already got 2 regulars that are newish (Bear, Persson).

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Jersey could lose Hall for nothing as well lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How soon we forget. Larson is top 3 on most teams in this league. Dont let a few wins cloud our resources on d. Some other guys on the farm need to develop and excel, before shipping this guy out. We already got 2 regulars that are newish (Bear, Persson).

Larsson isn't top 3 on this team.

As many have speculated the present Larsson, injured and all, back injury problems etc isn't the same player he was once projected to be. Not even remotely comparable. By my take the present Larsson is merely in a depth pairing on some teams and might not even be in top 4.

How soon we forget? The last time Larsson looked good was 16-17. That's a longtime ago. 3 seasons ago.

Reactions: McSpecial Blend

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Larsson isn't top 3 on this team.

As many have speculated the present Larsson, injured and all, back injury problems etc isn't the same player he was once projected to be. Not even remotely comparable. By my take the present Larsson is merely in a depth pairing on some teams and might not even be in top 4.

How soon we forget? The last time Larsson looked good was 16-17. That's a longtime ago. 3 seasons ago.

How come he played top minutes against the best lines on other teams then ? Why was he first pair?

I think it's up to him to train and be dominant. We will see what he's got left.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jersey could lose Hall for nothing as well lol

Hard to say. Not sure why they went out and got downward spiralling Subban. He's done. Hardly noticeable now.

Could you imagine paying more for this hulk than we pay for Draisaitl who clowned him several times the other day.

Its kind of astounding how hard Subban has plummeted to Earth. He's a hot potato now and nobody should want that contract.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How come he played top minutes against the best lines on other teams then ? Why was he first pair?

I think it's up to him to train and be dominant. We will see what he's got left.

How come we had two fired coaches last season?

You think Tippet would have Larsson in top pair and leading minutes?

In anycase Larsson was only 3rd in toi/gp last season far behind either Nurse or Klefbom.

Interestingly Larssons minutes plummeted after Hitch had some time to watch him. Last 15GP Larsson was playing maybe 4th minutes.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
How come we had two fired coaches last season?

You think Tippet would have Larsson in top pair and leading minutes?

In anycase Larsson was only 3rd in toi/gp last season far behind either Nurse or Klefbom.

Interestingly Larssons minutes plummeted after Hitch had some time to watch him. Last 15GP Larsson was playing maybe 4th minutes.

I though Tippet had larsson/nurse top pair ?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I though Tippet had larsson/nurse top pair ?

It never worked out did it? That line didn't look good at anytime in the preseason. But there was no clear 1 line in any case. Could be argued Klef pairing was.

The trouble is Larrson was really ordinary two seasons ago. really bad a season ago, really bad in preseason, then gets injured longterm in the very first game. jebus.

Just getting really tired of zero return from this player.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
It never worked out did it? That line didn't look good at anytime in the preseason. But there was no clear 1 line in any case. Could be argued Klef pairing was.

The trouble is Larrson was really ordinary two seasons ago. really bad a season ago, really bad in preseason, then gets injured longterm in the very first game. jebus.

Just getting really tired of zero return from this player.
Fair enough, I understand.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Fair enough, I understand.
If we could get Taylor back for Larsson and Russel ....we would be losing all that experience and stability on the back end and be gambling on few of the kids ...but i couldnt drive them to the airport fast enough.
The chances New Jersey would do this are zero.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One of the things I love about analytics (I'm being entirely sarcastic) is how they reinvent data display and even graphs in which the visually presented information is virtually impossible to decipher without the secret decoder...

In what planet of statistics does a graph have two different scales on either end, that are polar opposites?

One axis is for the Rangers the other is for the Oilers. This allows both team's results to be captured on one graph so it is perfectly reasonable.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's literally just Corsi +/- over the course of the game haha.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's literally just Corsi +/- over the course of the game haha.
meh doesn't make any sense to me. When I took stats graphs had one label for X and Y. I'm unfamiliar with how to read a graph that has two labels for one axis. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Albeit I'm someone that would rarely go into such an analytics site.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One axis is for the Rangers the other is for the Oilers. This allows both team's results to be captured on one graph so it is perfectly reasonable.

To me its perfectly indecipherable and I don't comprehend this nature of two label graph. I could if the Oilers and Rangers were two separate color coded lines..

meant to respond to both replies with one post but didn't work out.

Thanks for the help. I'm analytics impaired..

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
meh doesn't make any sense to me. When I took stats graphs had one label for X and Y. I'm unfamiliar with how to read a graph that has two labels for one axis. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The idea is that a positive Corsi for the rags is a negative Corsi for us, and vice versa.

So ultimately, if you total one for one team it creates the negative total for the other team.

They just add another axis label for the other team so they don't have to make two graphs because it's the same information. It is kind of confusing though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad