Pre-Game Talk: Week to Crawl Across the Finish Line (@LA, @ SJ, STL)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah, that's fine, go with Alt-Siemens as a pairing, I've been pumping #5's tires for a while now but even I thought he was in over his head a bit last night.

My guess is with his size and talent level he's really over his head against bigger clubs. He looked real solid against Chicago then terrible against Anaheim

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Tonight's game is a toss up. I have no idea what will happen, but I'm sure it will be better than the last time we played LA.

I'm curious to see what type of team SJ dresses against the Avs. That game has zero importance to them.

We beat St Louis. Confident about that one.
Tonights game is not a toss up. Its a rather easy bet on the Kings and I will be doing just that tonight.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My guess is with his size and talent level he's really over his head against bigger clubs. He looked real solid against Chicago then terrible against Anaheim

Maybe Bednar thinks it was Duncan's fault Kopitar scored four goals against us, so he figured it didn't matter.

I find it hilarious that he clearly thinks playing Warsoft helps our offense though. The lack of scoring is probably why hes been playing him.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Tonight's game is a toss up. I have no idea what will happen, but I'm sure it will be better than the last time we played LA.

I'm curious to see what type of team SJ dresses against the Avs. That game has zero importance to them.

We beat St Louis. Confident about that one.

Prepare to be disappointed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Tonights game is not a toss up. Its a rather easy bet on the Kings and I will be doing just that tonight.

I just went and re-checked the Athletic. Theirs is up now, and has our game at a 60/39% split, but Washington and STL are separated by 6 tenths of a percent.

With that said. I hoping everyone betting the odds loses their ass.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe Bednar thinks it was Duncan's fault Kopitar scored four goals against us, so he figured it didn't matter.

I find it hilarious that he clearly thinks playing Warsoft helps our offense though. The lack of scoring is probably why hes been playing him.

Honestly I think he just doesn't like having guys back there who can't handle the puck. Much as I deride Nemeth, he looks like Rob Blake compared to Dunk and Lindholm when it comes to puck movement. I don't think he's counting on either 7 or 5 to really help with the offense, he just wants them to get it the hell out of the zone without icing it too many times.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
The best way to do it.

You’ll be at aleast somewhat happy either way.

I went to yesterday's game and have tickets to today's game and honestly after yesterday I'm not even excited about tonight. It didn't help that I'm still sour and angry about the horrible Ducks fans last night, screaming for the Ducks to injure MacKinnon on purpose in "retaliation" for Landeskog (aka when Kessler cross-checked him into Gibson) and generally being unbelievably awful. Post-game, a bunch came up to me and were faux-conciliatory while saying they hope for us to beat the Kings today. Sorry, you don't get to say that after gooning it up and then begging your players to injure one of ours. Not to mention, don't the Ducks actually benefit from a Kings win tonight as far as playoff chances?

Maybe if I dropped a bet on the Kings I could have a little bit more fun at the game...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly I think he just doesn't like having guys back there who can't handle the puck. Much as I deride Nemeth, he looks like Rob Blake compared to Dunk and Lindholm when it comes to puck movement. I don't think he's counting on either 7 or 5 to really help with the offense, he just wants them to get it the hell out of the zone without icing it too many times.

Nah.. Bednar has directly mentioned "hes another guy that moves the puck for us" before.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nah.. Bednar has directly mentioned "hes another guy that moves the puck for us" before.

Well no doubt he wants scoring depth, hence putting Yak in for Toninato, but I just figured he was more interested in them getting the puck out of danger and just getting it into the attacking zone more than any direct contributions they might have. Not really disagreeing with you here though.

It's funny, they both have spearheaded really great-looking rushes up the ice, but neither has a release that's NHL-worthy. Every time either of them take a shot it doesn't look remotely dangerous.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well no doubt he wants scoring depth, hence putting Yak in for Toninato, but I just figured he was more interested in them getting the puck out of danger and just getting it into the attacking zone more than any direct contributions they might have. Not really disagreeing with you here though.

It's funny, they both have spearheaded really great-looking rushes up the ice, but neither has a release that's NHL-worthy. Every time either of them take a shot it doesn't look remotely dangerous.

I think against Anaheim and LA, Duncan would be better because hes not afraid to take a hit to make the right play. Anaheim was abusing our defense last night with the two man check, and even coming in behind the net when most teams let the guy take a seat there for a second. They even some how used two checkers against us on the PP lol, just with the second man not quite as low. LA does not go to quite that level, but still. I think Duncan would be the better choice to make the simply play when the offensive guy can't be expected to do much else in a panic.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Tonight would be fantastic for Ovechkin to deliver a hat-trick and get closer to 50... just saying....
I've seen some talk about the Caps mailing it in and just playing not to get hurt. I think it is wrong for two reasons. The first is what you mentioned, Ovechkin will be looking to pad his stats. The second is the Capitals have been bounced from the playoffs early every season since they've become good. You don't just shut down your compete level 3 games before needing to be more competitive than ever. This is when teams should be trying to stay sharp and get the ball rolling.

At least I hope that is the case.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've seen some talk about the Caps mailing it in and just playing not to get hurt. I think it is wrong for two reasons. The first is what you mentioned, Ovechkin will be looking to pad his stats. The second is the Capitals have been bounced from the playoffs early every season since they've become good. You don't just shut down your compete level 3 games before needing to be more competitive than ever. This is when teams should be trying to stay sharp and get the ball rolling.

Hopefully yeah, and that team has the biggest stigma of taking their foot off the gas as anyone. They're looking to break that in a big way.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Tonight they're primed more than ever for a let down game, though.

Just clinched the division yesterday against their arch rivals. Now they're coming into St. Louis with literally nothing to play for. They have their playoff spot and they have the division locked up, it's a back to back on the road. The only thing left to play for is Ovechkin's 50 goals and trying to continue playing quality hockey until playoff time but I expect a loss tonight from them. Based on their circumstance + St. Louis getting blown out by Arizona, it's a recipe for a Blues win.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think against Anaheim and LA, Duncan would be better because hes not afraid to take a hit to make the right play. Anaheim was abusing our defense last night with the two man check, and even coming in behind the net when most teams let the guy take a seat there for a second. They even some how used two checkers against us on the PP lol, just with the second man not quite as low. LA does not go to quite that level, but still. I think Duncan would be the better choice to make the simply play when the offensive guy can't be expected to do much else in a panic.

Agreed. Honestly I wish Bednar would get more aggressive on the forecheck, I feel like his scheme is still way too conservative, especially when trying (and lately, failing) to hold a lead.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. Honestly I wish Bednar would get more aggressive on the forecheck, I feel like his scheme is still way too conservative, especially when trying (and lately, failing) to hold a lead.

Yeah, Vegas pressured us pretty hard too. Most of the good teams are doing some level more than a single man in. It's the little things like that which make me not on the wagon for keeping Bednar around. I just don't believe his style fits that well long term. Without Bennett he'd be even worse.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, Vegas pressured us pretty hard too. Most of the good teams are doing some level more than a single man in. It's the little things like that which make me not on the wagon for keeping Bednar around. I just don't believe his style fits that well long term. Without Bennett he'd be even worse.

I agree. I think he’s got a fine “plan A” but he doesn’t really do a good job of in game management. His changes are always switching up lines, I never really see many tactical changes in game, and that’s something he has to get better at to be a successful coach in the NHL.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree, there have been a lot of fundamental things that have just been thrown in the trash down the stretch here as injuries, illness, and fatigue have set in. I believe Bednar to be a smart guy though, I'm sure he knows the team's defensive zone play is wholly unacceptable (especially the top line, who have gone off a cliff in those terms), but at the same time it's just not something that can be fixed at this point. Next season though, I want them to trend toward puck possession and smarter d-zone play like they were right around the time they hit their 10-game win streak. Once again, credit goes to Bennett for the vast improvement in special teams play, even strength is still very much a work in progress.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree, there have been a lot of fundamental things that have just been thrown in the trash down the stretch here as injuries, illness, and fatigue have set in. I believe Bednar to be a smart guy though, I'm sure he knows the team's defensive zone play is wholly unacceptable (especially the top line, who have gone off a cliff in those terms), but at the same time it's just not something that can be fixed at this point. Next season though, I want them to trend toward puck possession and smarter d-zone play like they were right around the time they hit their 10-game win streak. Once again, credit goes to Bennett for the vast improvement in special teams play, even strength is still very much a work in progress.

Bednar is trying to run some weird mix of dump in/dump out, and possession lol. I wonder what the hell happened to turn that around so hard? Barrie, MacK and EJ's injuries?

I want to break shit when they flip the puck into the neutral zone without serious pressure.

The biggest flaw with Bednar in that it seems like his fall back, falls all the way back to the stone ages when the team isn't breaking out clean. There is no in between it seems. Seeing Z and Barrie ring it up around the boards and flipping it to the middle makes me think it's 100% Bednar taught.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad