Pre-Game Talk: Week of "Who needs fingernails anyway?" - @STL; EDM; WPG; @SJS

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I said after the Dallas game that Rantanen will be out for the regular season. For examplr Landeskog was supposed to be out 4-6 weeks and he was back in three. Things change.

But Rants is back tonight. Since, that changed. Right?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Having just worked a tournament that had a team of Finns (and a bunch more on other rosters), I can attest to this. Not surprisingly, the former NHL player was the team MVP for Jellonas, but I had a player from another team (based in Singapore) award him the trophy, as he was the only one that could get away with calling him "little Sami" having grown up in the same small town a few years ahead. And in speaking with the various Finns that would visit me at my scorers station, they all seem to know one or more NHL players....names dropped were the Koivus, Barkov, Laine, Grandlunds, and others I am not remembering right now.

I am sure the same could be said for small towns across Canada as well.
Was the rando someone with only stats from Dubai on EliteProspects? It doesn't say if he's from Hyvinkää or not.

I find it funny (from my Finnish hockey perspective, not to shit on you by any means) that some of these guys, who are all 40, are now putting up stats in an Asian men's league, given that in 2001 they were absolutely dog shit horrid playing on like the fifth highest level in Finland.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
C73D1AE3-18EC-47D9-B047-553CD6C15CB7.gif

Checking morale on the Arizona forums got me like

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Was the rando someone with only stats from Dubai on EliteProspects? It doesn't say if he's from Hyvinkää or not.

I find it funny (from my Finnish hockey perspective, not to **** on you by any means) that some of these guys, who are all 40, are now putting up stats in an Asian men's league, given that in 2001 they were absolutely dog **** horrid playing on like the fifth highest level in Finland.

Yep, that's him. He is in Singapore now. Plays Div 1 for our adult league, 8 points in 10 games...not horrid for a 48yo. Our top Finn put up 40 in 14, and played for Tappara U18 and U20...plus a bunch of others in leagues I don't understand :). But he is just a kid at 34yo....not old enough for the tournament. And to his credit, he said straight up that Helenius passed him in skill before he passed him in height.
And the expectations have to be tempered a bit. These are mostly businessmen that are playing beer league. Most of them were never very high level players, and now are more concerned with work and family than hockey. A few did play some serious hockey in their younger years. My BKK team is losing its #1D as he is moving back to Sweden, where he played a couple seasons in the SHL. One top scorer for SIHA Winter League may not have made the NHL like his little brother (39pts this year), but is a damn good player. But we also have guys like me that did not play until 35+, and ladies that are just now learning, and a couple that are pushing 70yo. You take what you can get when you have one rink that allows hockey in the entire country.

One thing about that UAE league though. If you look at the leading scorers, you will see 3 of the top 6 names that don't seem to be Arab, but have a UAE flag next to them, and are currently playing in the WC Div III qualifying tourney against my Thai buddies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yep, that's him. He is in Singapore now. Plays Div 1 for our adult league, 8 points in 10 games...not horrid for a 48yo. Our top Finn put up 40 in 14, and played for Tappara U18 and U20...plus a bunch of others in leagues I don't understand :). But he is just a kid at 34yo....not old enough for the tournament. And to his credit, he said straight up that Helenius passed him in skill before he passed him in height.
And the expectations have to be tempered a bit. These are mostly businessmen that are playing beer league. Most of them were never very high level players, and now are more concerned with work and family than hockey. A few did play some serious hockey in their younger years. My BKK team is losing its #1D as he is moving back to Sweden, where he played a couple seasons in the SHL. One top scorer for SIHA Winter League may not have made the NHL like his little brother (39pts this year), but is a damn good player. But we also have guys like me that did not play until 35+, and ladies that are just now learning, and a couple that are pushing 70yo. You take what you can get when you have one rink that allows hockey in the entire country.

One thing about that UAE league though. If you look at the leading scorers, you will see 3 of the top 6 names that don't seem to be Arab, but have a UAE flag next to them, and are currently playing in the WC Div III qualifying tourney against my Thai buddies.
Yeah, the scale of things is really the amusing part. You get so used to this giant machine running things for the federations in hockey countries, and then there's this little ambiguous international league with literally just everyone there that's interested, and that's pretty much the most hockey you'll get.

Yeah, this one guy only has some random Finnish junior team info, and stats from Malaysia on Eurohockey. You know, you gotta call quits on the whole career thing early to not have EliteProspects at all, coming from Finland.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Wasnt there a funny idea thrown out like a couple months ago for playoff avatars even though we were like hopeless to make it? I cant remember maybe cause the times were too dark

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Why do people keep saying it's meaningless? If Dallas wins or goes to OT, then sure. Otherwise it's not meaningless.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Why do people keep saying it's meaningless? If Dallas wins or goes to OT, then sure. Otherwise it's not meaningless.
Dallas only needs a point to clinch WC1, they have a healthy lead on us in ROWs.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd like to see our 1st line score in the playoffs and they're more likely to score against the Preds than the suffocating Preds so let's go Dallas!

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Dallas only needs a point to clinch WC1, they have a healthy lead on us in ROWs.

Correct, they need a point which they do not have. If they don't get it in 2 games, and we win our next game, we get WC1. Ipso facto, not meaningless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad