Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Return (CHI, DAL, WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuichi

Jan 19, 2016
Hot weather south.
1) It hasn't seemed to affect the team's play. 13-14 it was more prominent and look how Varly and the team played then.

2) Varlamov is not old, and Pickard is not even in the same stratosphere as Varlamov in terms of quality of goaltending.

3) The "evidence" they were presenting against Varlamov was suspect, and all signs point to him not having done anything to this woman. There's a reason the first case amounted to nothing, and now this civil case was primarily won by Varlamov's camp.

Well I started watching this team in 13-14, so tbh Im used to this level of shakiness... I wouldnt know better, thus my comment about Pickard. Cause I look at it as, well its not like we are a consistent team that can atleast always expect to win right now. Though we are doing alot better, we were literally last in the West a couple months ago. Up and down. I mean really, I became a Avs fan in 13-14.. what does that tell you about me and my expectations, or what im satisfied with? I just like the team. Once again, thus my Pick(a card)ard comment.

Associated with what? No conviction, never even charged, the suit went nowhere with a jury and she had to pay his legal fees. If people educated on the whole case think he's a criminal they likely suffer from some mental block or have a very low IQ, so who cares about their opinion. There is no way any sane person can actually examine the facts and say he's guilty. A jury in the civil case, with a far lower level of burden of proof required, made HER pay HIM. And Varly...old? He's 27.

Hard evidence he DIDN'T do it?? I'm sorry, but, what? How do you propose hard evidence of that?? The only hard evidence you could have of that would be video footage from inside the room of the entire incident. So no, there is no hard evidence he didn't do it, but he shouldn't have to prove he didn't do it. Innocent until proven guilty and all that? Allegations mean nothing without evidence, and she seemingly had no evidence, so Varlamov, to all of us, should be 100% innocent until proven otherwise.

And if we knew for a fact he DID do it, the DA would have pressed charges and she would have won her suit. Seriously...how did you even have to ask that.

Well I figured not-far from 30 is old in this sport. Guess I was wrong.
And associated with what other people think. I could care less about what we know. Again as a Ravens fan I sounded like you, year after year defending the players on our team, but people arent trying to hear that they just want to be ignorant and call you criminals.. blah blah blah. So I guess any start of any friction.

There are many ways to have hard evidence of something, like finding where the vest went in the Ray Lewis' murder case, Obviously we don't have it due to your reply, so I'll leave it at that.
And yeah I agree, again, like with the Ray Lewis case, we had no evidence he did it, thus he should be innocent... right?
And I could even ask that cause I simply didnt want to look it up and figured Id ask my fellow Avs fans on it.

And thirdly, again, I have not followed this case at all. So I have no idea what the DA did, and if you read my post you would've known that.. I mean really, not trying to stir anything up, but you are just sounding offensive now. Duh, of course I wouldve not asked if I atleast knew about the case dude..

I sound pretty dumb right now but not everyone has been following hockey for atleast 5 years in a fanbase... so excuse me for coming in here and commenting on a thread beforehand. Ill stick to the game threads. Apologies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You can associate him with whatever you want; but Varly was the victims of domestic violence, not the perpetrator. A team getting rid of an elite talent hitting his prime years because he was the victim of DV would be just beyond absurd. Nevermind that Pickard isn't nearly as good and isn't ready to be a starter at this level anyway.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
Yes (and I don't say this in a mean way) in this case you were wrong about 27 being old, specifically for goalies. Many of the premier goalies in the league are 30+.

Roberto Luongo is 36 years old and is having the top statistical year of his career. He's in the top 5 for most of the big goaltending categories and is a bonafide superstar.

Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist, Marc-Andre Fleury, Jonathan Quick, Corey Crawford, and Brian Elliott are just a sub-set of the goalies that are 30+ and having good seasons.

The average age of goaltenders with 30+ games played this season is 29.4, and the average age of goaltenders with 20+ games played this season is 28.7. Varlamov is significantly younger than the average of either of those groups.

I absolutely love Pickard - I live in California so I went to the draft that year and saw him become the Avs #1 pick that year. I've followed him ever since. I even use his glove and blocker (pro return) when I play in net and they're honestly the best gloves I've ever used; the modifications he's made are intelligent and obviously well thought out. I have a Berra glove and a Varly blocker as well but I find myself using the Pickard set the most.

That said, he's no Varly. I firmly believe that he will be a capable, even good starter one day. He's done remarkably well when given the opportunity, even when hung out to dry like he has been the last few games against the Kings and the Hawks. But Varlamov is a superstar that has the capability to singlehandedly steal any game he plays in. In 2013-2014 he was #4 in voting for the hart (that's the equivalent of league MVP for hockey) on a team that was positively mediocre outside of him. Only two goalies have won the hart since 2000 and frankly he had a legitimate shot at it that year.

I hope Pickard gets a shot with some other team if he doesn't get one here a la Martin Jones, but it would be silly to get rid of Varlamov due to a case where it appears SHE abused HIM - not only was the case dropped but in the civil case she had to pay him $126k for his legal fees. It hasn't affected his play and it hasn't seemed to affect the team either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have a couple years before worrying about if Picks should unseat Varly. If the Avs keep both after expansion, and Picks is playing at a really high level by the summer of 2018... then there is probably a decision to be made. Until then, Picks will be cheap and solid as a backup.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Literally no line for a Holden and Guenin autograph. Every other line is huge.

That actually makes me sad. Holden seems like a really good dude. Neither guy deserve the Virgil treatment. Hell, not even Virgil deserves the Virgil treatment.

virgil01.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Avs PR Twitter account said that Media Availability would be at 1130 am today, shouldn't we have been getting some Avs Twitter Feed updates on what Roy had to say (Only ask because usually they tweet alongside what he says, and then posts the video later)?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
That actually makes me sad. Holden seems like a really good dude. Neither guy deserve the Virgil treatment. Hell, not even Virgil deserves the Virgil treatment.

It wouldn't surprise me if Holden was standing there wearing a Red Wings hat. He's not the brightest of chaps.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's too bad they both seem like good dudes, I'd go chat with those goofs... Also I'd want everything signed by the General.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Avs PR Twitter account said that Media Availability would be at 1130 am today, shouldn't we have been getting some Avs Twitter Feed updates on what Roy had to say (Only ask because usually they tweet alongside what he says, and then posts the video later)?

Usually more stuff starts coming out around 1 ET for me, videos tweets and what not by media. It's been dead

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Usually more stuff starts coming out around 1 ET for me, videos tweets and what not by media. It's been dead

Exactly. Perhaps I'm wrong when they start putting stuff on Twitter, but even going by your timeframe, it's still a bit late...

Perhaps they meant 12:30 PM MST? Which would be in 8 minutes...I mean, 11:30 AM MST was nearly an hour ago.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's too bad they both seem like good dudes, I'd go chat with those goofs... Also I'd want everything signed by the General.

I wonder if the General knows about our "pointing us to victory" meme? I'd love to take some double-point pics with him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Exactly. Perhaps I'm wrong when they start putting stuff on Twitter, but even going by your timeframe, it's still a bit late...

Perhaps they meant 12:30 PM MST? Which would be in 8 minutes...I mean, 11:30 AM MST was nearly an hour ago.

Yep, there is usually at least one or two quotes by someone. Ryan, Chambers, Rick, Aj.. Within a half hour of the start time.

There is either something going on, or it was pushed back. However no one has mentioned it being pushed back either. Just dead silence

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
First piece of info now,

I wonder if that time of 1130 CST MST was just wrong

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ahh, yeah my bad

I still forget sometimes that Colorado is MST not CST, but I still think two hours behind me lol. Derp

They either decided to push it back (and didn't update it via Twitter) or they accidentally put the wrong time (and didn't update via Twitter).

Either way...

With how disappointed he sounded last night (and the Postgame before that) I'm just intensely curious to see what he has to say about the game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad