Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Return (CHI, DAL, WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They either decided to push it back (and didn't update it via Twitter) or they accidentally put the wrong time (and didn't update via Twitter).

Either way...

With how disappointed he sounded last night (and the Postgame before that) I'm just intensely curious to see what he has to say about the game tomorrow.

Iginla and Tanguay will play with Mitchell tomorrow (per Roy via Avs Twitter)

Yeah I am too, also to see if they are doing anything beyond changing the lines around. Mikko...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So, unless we get more updates (or until we see the video from today), going off of what we know Roy has said, perhaps the lines look something like this tomorrow:

Grigorenko-MacKinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Comeau
Tanguay-Mitchell-Tanguay
McLeod-Wagner-Skille

?

I scratched Martinsen because of the need for a Center. If he scratches Grigo, then we've got a hole on that top line.

Conversely, he could keep Grigo and put him on the 4th line, and put Marty on that top line....

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

They worked well for a while earlier in the season, so I'm ok with this. Don't think playing both old timers on the same line will work for long, but it could spark Malkin to play his best again; as he was while carrying those two previously; and it could squeeze some production out of the octogenarians before needing to be broken up again.

Most importantly; that probably means Greg gets to start with 29 & 9. Which, given his better play since the Buffalo game, can only help. Now if only the dmen got their **** together again...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So, unless we get more updates (or until we see the video from today), going off of what we know Roy has said, perhaps the lines look something like this tomorrow:

Grigorenko-MacKinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Comeau
Tanguay-Mitchell-Tanguay
McLeod-Wagner-Skille

?

I scratched Martinsen because of the need for a Center. If he scratches Grigo, then we've got a hole on that top line.

Conversely, he could keep Grigo and put him on the 4th line, and put Marty on that top line....

That makes the most sense, Roy better not put Martinsen on the top line just to keep him in the lineup. That is dumb as hell IMO

I did like his physical game better last night, but still not enough to justify keeping him in there IMO.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They worked well for a while earlier in the season, so I'm ok with this. Don't think playing both old timers on the same line will work for long, but it could spark Malkin to play his best again; as he was while carrying those two previously; and it could squeeze some production out of the octogenarians before needing to be broken up again.

Most importantly; that probably means Greg gets to start with 29 & 9. Which, given his better play since the Buffalo game, can only help. Now if only the dmen got their **** together again...

Greg needs to take full advantage of this. Im talking a 3 pointer on Saturday or something big to force Roy to never take him off that line.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That makes the most sense, Roy better not put Martinsen on the top line just to keep him in the lineup. That is dumb as hell IMO

I did like his physical game better last night, but still not enough to justify keeping him in there IMO.

The only reason they'd/he'd keep playing Marty is because he's on a 1-year ELC, and they're wanting to see if he has any redeemable NHL quality. Anything at all, and I'm of the opinion that they don't see much in him (at least to go along with having Everberg and Rendulic in the Minors as well). He could get another deal, but he'd be a "Depth Forward" type, and only if they traded away (or didn't re-sign) Everberg/Rendulic.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Though I do expect to see Cody-Wagner-Skille; I can see Patrick scratching Wagner and rolling with no natural C on that line. Their minutes will be very low anyway, so Patrick can get them out there on the fly and avoid having them take any draws unless there's icing. And in those cases; Marty has won some draws for us and (I think) Skille's done so before...though I may be mixing that up with the tiny bit of faceoff experience Comeau had before this season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Though I do expect to see Cody-Wagner-Skille; I can see Patrick scratching Wagner and rolling with no natural C on that line. Their minutes will be very low anyway, so Patrick can get them out there on the fly and avoid having them take any draws unless there's icing. And in those cases; Marty has won some draws for us and (I think) Skille's done so before...though I may be mixing that up with the tiny bit of faceoff experience Comeau had before this season.

He has done this before, and Last night MacK took a shift with McLeod and Iginla as well.

Is it worth it though?

The only reason they'd/he'd keep playing Marty is because he's on a 1-year ELC, and they're wanting to see if he has any redeemable NHL quality. Anything at all, and I'm of the opinion that they don't see much in him (at least to go along with having Everberg and Rendulic in the Minors as well). He could get another deal, but he'd be a "Depth Forward" type, and only if they traded away (or didn't re-sign) Everberg/Rendulic.

Yeah that's interesting, but you cannot play him on the top line in order to test those waters.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Both of them need their minutes reduced so I don't mind that. I just don't know how much moving the same group of players around is going to work. Only so many times Roy can pull out that blender and throw the same names in.

Rantanen should have been up and getting a decent amount of minutes for a few games now. He's ready and now isn't the time to worry about any veteran player's feelings. Get guys in who can contribute.

We're also about to have a big Holden problem, if we aren't at that point already. He somehow managed to play the role of a top four defenseman for half a season without looking terribly out of place. Still a lot of bad in his game but I didn't think he hurt us as much as past seasons. However, he's now back to looking like that guy you don't want on the ice, let alone in your top four. Barrie's play slipping somewhat probably has something to do with it too but I'd say it's mostly on Holden. No idea what they can do but I also don't know how you can keep playing him that much if this continues.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Both of them need their minutes reduced so I don't mind that. I just don't know how much moving the same group of players around is going to work. Only so many times Roy can pull out that blender and throw the same names in.

Rantanen should have been up and getting a decent amount of minutes for a few games now. He's ready and now isn't the time to worry about any veteran player's feelings. Get guys in who can contribute.

We're also about to have a big Holden problem, if we aren't at that point already. He somehow managed to play the role of a top four defenseman for half a season without looking terribly out of place. Still a lot of bad in his game but I didn't think he hurt us as much as past seasons. However, he's now back to looking like that guy you don't want on the ice, let alone in your top four. Barrie's play slipping somewhat probably has something to do with it too but I'd say it's mostly on Holden. No idea what they can do but I also don't know how you can keep playing him that much if this continues.

Yeah, Holden becomes very scary if he continues to slide. Roy will give him enough rope to hang himself and take the team with him before switching him and Bigras out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This; http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2024171 (Mild fire sale thread on the trade board); made me feel much better.

There is often someone out there suffering far more than you are. Definitely keeps things in perspective lol.

I still feel like they're going to turn it around and go on a streak like they always do. I am enjoying the slide though. That team has a few contracts that can be considered "bad" for one reason or another. Just look at all of those long-term commitments:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/minnesota-wild/

Yeah, Holden becomes very scary if he continues to slide. Roy will give him enough rope to hang himself and take the team with him before switching him and Bigras out.

That's what I mean by I don't know what they can do. I love Bigras but he's not ready for that top four spot next to Barrie. He has been solid for the most part on the bottom pairing and I think that's where he should stay for now while he continues to develop.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I still feel like they're going to turn it around and go on a streak like they always do. I am enjoying the slide though. That team has a few contracts that can be considered "bad" for one reason or another. Just look at all of those long-term commitments:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/minnesota-wild/

That's what I mean by I don't know what they can do. I love Bigras but he's not ready for that top four spot next to Barrie. He has been solid for the most part on the bottom pairing and I think that's where he should stay for now while he continues to develop.

The comments about Parise, Suter, and their centers are gold though lol.

So how about this media? All we got was Mitchell driving the old folks bus, and that Varly will play tomorrow so far. One of which we already knew about.

we may not always agree on this sub-forum on everything.

but one thing that unites us is the hate towards minnesota wild.

Yep.. What makes it even worse for me is that I like their jerseys. That's not even right, and it gets under my skin a bit when thinking about how down hill our mains have gone over the years.

Our thirds have been interesting to ok though.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I'm going to guess Grigorenko and Landeskog will rotate on those top two LW spots until something clicks, and that will be exhausted thoroughly before they bring up Rantanen.

It's unfortunate they told Martinsen to get an apartment... I don't know how much that is affecting what they do with him. Are teams allowed to help out with lodging situations (i.e. help pay to cancel a lease or something of the sort?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad