Pre-Game Talk: Week of McJesus, O'Money & cgf's Russian lover (Oilers, Blues, Stars)

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
It's definitely a hard discussion because Nadal and Federer would have to start as really young kids to get the growth needed to play in the NBA. However, tennis is probably the only sport where the combination of athletic and technical ability needs to be extremely high to be able to win consistently as both of them have done. NBA is almost purely an athletic sport, that isn't to say there isn't talent because "fake moon landing" Curry proves there is, however all you need is an athletic centre or powerforward to dominant the league. In tennis, since you're also a single, you need the mental fortuity of the MI6 as well.
Djokovic , now he's an athlete, guy is awesome

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
All sports require different physical abilities, impossible to compare or say that X is better than Y. Yeah we know in extreme examples like golf that the sports isn't physically as taxing as hockey... but the differences between many sports is in what parts of the body they hit.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's definitely a hard discussion because Nadal and Federer would have to start as really young kids to get the growth needed to play in the NBA. However, tennis is probably the only sport where the combination of athletic and technical ability needs to be extremely high to be able to win consistently as both of them have done. NBA is almost purely an athletic sport, that isn't to say there isn't talent because "fake moon landing" Curry proves there is, however all you need is an athletic centre or powerforward to dominant the league. In tennis, since you're also a single, you need the mental fortitude of the MI6 as well.

I mean I’d say Nadal/Federer would probably have a easier transition from tennis to basketball than vice versa. But there’s no doubt in my mind if Lebron trained in any sport from a young age he’d be an elite talent at it.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Lebron has the best recall of any athlete that I have seen for sure. I remember in an interview a reporter asked about some pass he made in the 1st half and Lebron said yeah I remember and rattled off exactly what happened, who was standing where, and the ball movement. Look it up it was pretty amazing. For never going to college or anything Lebron is wicked smart

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I mean I’d say Nadal/Federer would probably have a easier transition from tennis to basketball than vice versa. But there’s no doubt in my mind if Lebron trained in any sport from a young age he’d be an elite talent at it.

The hand eye coordination required in baseball can’t be assumed. It’s not enhanced by being tall or fast.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
All sports require different physical abilities, impossible to compare or say that X is better than Y. Yeah we know in extreme examples like golf that the sports isn't physically as taxing as hockey... but the differences between many sports is in what parts of the body they hit.
I agree, which is why I consider NFL more dangerous even though NHL hits are deemed more "impactful" by science. Now with that said, you sure do have a lot of grey areas in categories don't you?

That's where I think I gotta disagree a tad. I suggest that a big part of Lebron's game is entirely athletic - don't get me wrong he would probably be a star player in the NFL, MLB, and NHL as well - which you can get by with a certain amount of athleticism, but not sure you can in tennis. I would consider Nadal the biggest athletic freak in tennis, but even said I argue his technical level probably surpasses Lebron's and that isn't even including Federer or Djokovic who are superior technical players (IMHO). A big reason why I personally came to this conclusion is that there isn't any technical skill about a 6'8" and 250 lbs beast going to the paint and unleashing layups while getting fouled for an extra point. This beast attitude would own in the Battle of Thermopylae, but not when it comes to precise backhand serve.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, which is why I consider NFL more dangerous even though NHL hits are deemed more "impactful" by science. Now with that said, you sure do have a lot of grey areas in categories don't you?

50 shades of grey infact

Reactions: S E P H

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So your saying the Lebron has bad eye hand coordination? Lol

You want to play that game? Ok.

You’re saying Lebron could successfully hit major league pitching?

He has the requisite hand eye coordination for basketball. But other sports require much greater hand eye coordination. To assume that he could be a successful baseball player because he has the requisite hand eye coordination for basketball is a huge reach. It’s like saying Mike Trout could have been an NBA player because he’s good at baseball.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tennis? Doesn't matter how big. Hell even Nadal would have him running around the court like a fool

Oh well yeah of course. Lebron would get whooped. But I mean if you put a professional athlete up against another of a different sport the one switching sports will get whooped everytime.

Reactions: Tommy G

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
LeBron James isn't just the most physically gifted athlete in the NBA; he's the smartest. Not in terms of book smarts like our HAAAAAHVAAAAD boy Kerfoot, but the man is a pure basketball genius.

To me, he's the greatest athlete of all time.

Reactions: Avs_19

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He has the requisite hand eye coordination for basketball. But other sports require much greater hand eye coordination. To assume that he could be a successful baseball player because he has the requisite hand eye coordination for basketball is a huge reach. It’s like saying Mike Trout could have been an NBA player because he’s good at baseball.

I’m not saying he 100% could. But I’d put money on that he’d hit a few if he had enough practice.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

That's where I think I gotta disagree a tad. I suggest that a big part of Lebron's game is entirely athletic - don't get me wrong he would probably be a star player in the NFL, MLB, and NHL as well - which you can get by with a certain amount of athleticism, but not sure you can in tennis. I would consider Nadal the biggest athletic freak in tennis, but even said I argue his technical level probably surpasses Lebron's and that isn't even including Federer or Djokovic who are superior technical players (IMHO). A big reason why I personally came to this conclusion is that there isn't any technical skill about a 6'8" and 250 lbs beast going to the paint and unleashing layups while getting fouled for an extra point. This beast attitude would own in the Battle of Thermopylae, but not when it comes to precise backhand serve.

I mean Isner and Karlobic were highly talented tennis players at Lebrons height. I mean at this point in Lebrons life there’s no way he’d become a top player, but if he started playing tennis seriously at like 5 or whatever I’d bet he could reach those guys level.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I mean Isner and Karlobic were highly talented tennis players at Lebrons height. I mean at this point in Lebrons life there’s no way he’d become a top player, but if he started playing tennis seriously at like 5 or whatever I’d bet he could reach those guys level.

And those guys all have one-dimensional games for the most part. Its no wonder Isner gets himself into historically long matches...The taller the tennis player, generally the better server they are (at least power-wise) because they can hit down into the court so much more but their agility around the court takes a huge hit and it's obvious. Isner can't break serve for shit.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And those guys all have one-dimensional games for the most part. Its no wonder Isner gets himself into historically long matches...The taller the tennis player, generally the better server they are (at least power-wise) because they can hit down into the court so much more but their agility around the court takes a huge hit and it's obvious. Isner can't break serve for ****.

That’s fair. Lebron is clearly more athletic than both of them tbf. I mean clearly he’d never be Nadal out there, but Lebron could potentially be a better version of both those guys.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And those guys all have one-dimensional games for the most part. Its no wonder Isner gets himself into historically long matches...The taller the tennis player, generally the better server they are (at least power-wise) because they can hit down into the court so much more but their agility around the court takes a huge hit and it's obvious. Isner can't break serve for ****.
Well, I think we're talking about fictional scenarios here. If Lebron ever gone through the tennis route as a kid, he wouldn't need to reach his 6'8" height as he is in basketball. My main argument is that how Lebron is, he is clearly behind at least Federer in terms of overall ability - tennis is harder to play than basketball (fact). Again jumping to consistently get layups at his athletic nature requires practice, but isn't that hard of an aspect for the entire general population to do. I have no problem labeling him one of the best or the best athletic player ever, but it's hard to pinpoint how much technical/talent he has since basketball as a natural sport requires a ton of athleticism and not a ton of talent.

Absolutely yes he could because players from different sports have switched to baseball and have hit major league pitches - Jordan and Tebow. Hell even pylon Beauchemin hit a freakin' homerun - you cannot say the same thing about Mike Trout sniping on an NHL goaler. Neither of them were good, true, but baseball is one sport where other major athletes can come in and at least be passable. That's what lowers baseball for me, even though the mentality between the pitcher and batter is probably the toughest event in activities'.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Well, I think we're talking about fictional scenarios here. If Lebron ever gone through the tennis route as a kid, he wouldn't need to reach his 6'8" height as he is in basketball. My main argument is that how Lebron is, he is clearly behind at least Federer in terms of overall ability - tennis is harder to play than basketball (fact). Again jumping to consistently get layups at his athletic nature requires practice, but isn't that hard of an aspect for the entire general population to do. I have no problem labeling him one of the best or the best athletic player ever, but it's hard to pinpoint how much technical/talent he has since basketball as a natural sport requires a ton of athleticism and not a ton of talent.

Absolutely yes he could because players from different sports have switched to baseball and have hit major league pitches - Jordan and Tebow. Hell even pylon Beauchemin hit a freakin' homerun - you cannot say the same thing about Mike Trout sniping on an NHL goaler. Neither of them were good, true, but baseball is one sport where other major athletes can come in and at least be passable. That's what lowers baseball for me, even though the mentality between the pitcher and batter is probably the toughest event in activities'.

Are you saying he has any control of his height??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad