Pre-Game Talk: Week of McJesus, O'Money & cgf's Russian lover (Oilers, Blues, Stars)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are you saying he has any control of his height??
Not at all, but that the practices, stretches, and the overall nature in basketball with a repetitive nature of constantly practicing and playing eventually makes people tall. There is no coincidence that the average height in basketball is 6'6" (I believe) and the average height as a jockey is 5'6". I say there are outside influences of the sport/activity which absolutely changes the body's adaption and results in tall and short people during the puberty years. So in a way, Lebron would not have been 6'8" if he went the tennis route - still would be fairly tall around 6'2" to 6'5" probably.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Not at all, but that the practices, stretches, and the overall nature in basketball with a repetitive nature of constantly practicing and playing eventually makes people tall. There is no coincidence that the average height in basketball is 6'6" (I believe) and the average height as a jockey is 5'6". I say there are outside influences of the sport/activity which absolutely changes the body's adaption and results in tall and short people during the puberty years. So in a way, Lebron would not have been 6'8" if he went the tennis route - still would be fairly tall around 6'2" to 6'5" probably.
Do you have anything to back this up? Lol, or just random spit take?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Do you have anything to back this up? Lol, or just random spit take?

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...-performance-in-junior-basketball-players.pdf
How much of human height is genetic and how much is due to nutrition?
http://www.arthros.com.br/pdf/BALISTICO_JSCR06.pdf

60% to 85% of height is determined by genetics, but with the constant jumping, short sprints, and the athletic nature needed to play the sport creates a toll on the bones to grow and increase over time. For the record I am not saying that a dude who's 70% genetic make up to grow only to 5'7"...will randomly make him grow to 6'6" simply because he plays basketball his entire life. However, if he does play basketball his entire life, then it isn't impossible to say he grew to 5'11" because of it. However, there are also articles out there that say that the best draft eligible prospects are ones who are simply taller than the rest, especially in high-school and at college so they're better players simply because they're taller than the average height. Or it could be a combination of both, however another argument I have is that there is some body adaptable to the sport or activity that people conduct in. For example, have you seen a basketballers hand compared to pros of other sports? I know a dude who is 6'3", but he played basketball during his entire youth throughout high-school and his hand is like two times the size of mine (where I played hockey throughout my entire youth and I can say I am more flexible than him since I am a goaler).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Does Playing Basketball Make You Taller? - BuildYourDreamBody
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...-performance-in-junior-basketball-players.pdf
How much of human height is genetic and how much is due to nutrition?
http://www.arthros.com.br/pdf/BALISTICO_JSCR06.pdf

60% to 85% of height is determined by genetics, but with the constant jumping, short sprints, and the athletic nature needed to play the sport creates a toll on the bones to grow and increase over time. For the record I am not saying that a dude who's 70% genetic make up to grow only to 5'7"...will randomly make him grow to 6'6" simply because he plays basketball his entire life. However, if he does play basketball his entire life, then it isn't impossible to say he grew to 5'11" because of it. However, there are also articles out there that say that the best draft eligible prospects are ones who are simply taller than the rest, especially in high-school and at college so they're better players simply because they're taller than the average height. Or it could be a combination of both, however another argument I have is that there is some body adaptable to the sport or activity that people conduct in. For example, have you seen a basketballers hand compared to pros of other sports? I know a dude who is 6'3", but he played basketball during his entire youth throughout high-school and his hand is like two times the size of mine (where I played hockey throughout my entire youth and I can say I am more flexible than him since I am a goaler).
Interesting... So what I've learned is I should have played basketball through my school years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Interesting... So what I've learned is I should have played basketball through my school years.
If you read a lot of Q&A's in regards to NHL players, they get asked a lot about how to make the NHL and majority of the answers you see are "play multiple sports". Luongo for example did not only play hockey, I believe he also excelled at futball and tennis along with the Sedins'. I know that Hischer and Nino were very accomplished tennis players due to the Federer effect as well. Personally, there is a combination between the sports adaption affecting the body and that there is also a bottleneck effect when you're reaching higher levels of the sport. Majority of goalers are not 5'11" because 6'4" is better for the sport, however, you also don't see 6'4" goalers who have the flexibility of sumo wrestlers - both are built differently due to the activity.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Well, I think we're talking about fictional scenarios here. If Lebron ever gone through the tennis route as a kid, he wouldn't need to reach his 6'8" height as he is in basketball. My main argument is that how Lebron is, he is clearly behind at least Federer in terms of overall ability - tennis is harder to play than basketball (fact). Again jumping to consistently get layups at his athletic nature requires practice, but isn't that hard of an aspect for the entire general population to do. I have no problem labeling him one of the best or the best athletic player ever, but it's hard to pinpoint how much technical/talent he has since basketball as a natural sport requires a ton of athleticism and not a ton of talent.

Absolutely yes he could because players from different sports have switched to baseball and have hit major league pitches - Jordan and Tebow. Hell even pylon Beauchemin hit a freakin' homerun - you cannot say the same thing about Mike Trout sniping on an NHL goaler. Neither of them were good, true, but baseball is one sport where other major athletes can come in and at least be passable. That's what lowers baseball for me, even though the mentality between the pitcher and batter is probably the toughest event in activities'.

You’re wrong. Jordan never hit major league pitching because he never played in the majors. Tebow hasn’t made it to the majors either.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LeBron James isn't just the most physically gifted athlete in the NBA; he's the smartest. Not in terms of book smarts like our HAAAAAHVAAAAD boy Kerfoot, but the man is a pure basketball genius.

To me, he's the greatest athlete of all time.

Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt say hello.

Reactions: Foppberg and Murzu

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I know what "laying cable" means to me and my old high school buddies, but I didn't know anyone could make a career out of it. :dunno:
Maybe if you broke the world record.

giphy.webp

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
LeBron is great, but best athlete ever? Yeah....no.
How? I get the arguments for guys like Bolt and Phelps, but just because they partake in individual sports compared to a team sport doesn't give them the edge at all. It just means they play a different sport.

I've yet to see another athlete at 6'8 and 275 lbs do the things this man can do athletically.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

Interesting. This could certainly be a thing but I think the differences would be negligible. I highly doubt Lebron would be 5"s shorter if he had gone the tennis route. No, there is no coincidence that basketball players are tall and jokeys short, but I believe that's because the sport eventually weeds players out sans the exceptions. I wonder how many players out there are much more talented than NBA players but simply could not cut it because of their size.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How? I get the arguments for guys like Bolt and Phelps, but just because they partake in individual sports compared to a team sport doesn't give them the edge at all. It just means they play a different sport.

I've yet to see another athlete at 6'8 and 275 lbs do the things this man can do athletically.

Men his size should be as fast and agile as he is. It’s ludicrous.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Depends on what you mean by 'athlete'. If you mean the best physical specimen sports has ever seen... I'd still say Bo was better.

Not to mention guys like Sanders, Jordan, Phelps, etc. There's just way too many guys to say who's the absolute best.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad