Pre-Game Talk: Week of Matt Duchene (@Philly, vs. Tampa, vs. Matty, @DUUUUUUU)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cody McLeod asked for a trade too, and he got one. Cody freakin McLeod.

One guy had his A stripped, and was trying to play for his last NHL contract as a routine healthy scratch. The other guy was a top 6 center in his prime, and didn't want to wait any longer for the Avs to get better.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What comments? He felt he had a better chance in Ottawa. Not many people predicted their season was going to turn out like that.

‘I wanted to play playoff hockey’ Duchene didn’t think the Avs could be good and he didn’t want to be a part of it. It was a parting shot, and obviously with Bednar’s quote, the team took it that way.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
What comments? He felt he had a better chance in Ottawa. Not many people predicted their season was going to turn out like that.

He basically said he thought the Avs were going to be terrible for two years (at least). It's one thing for a media guy or fan to say this, but for a teammate (or former teammate) to say this is a clear shot at the guys who were on the Avs at that time. Normally in that situation you'd hear something like "That's a great group of guys in Colorado, but I just felt like I needed a change. They've been through some struggles, but I hope they can turn it around and I'm glad they were able to get some good looking players in return for me."

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh, if you've soured on the guy, that's fine, I can see why, I haven't though. I'm glad everyone has moved on but I've no ill will toward the guy, unlike O'Reilly, who can get stuffed far as I'm concerned.

I don't think his comments were out of line at all though. If Bednar and the players who remain felt it was a sign of disrespect that's their business, but I felt he explained himself well enough. He had spent nearly a decade on Avs teams that were, for the most part, spinning their wheels. I can't blame the guy for wanting out after the nonsense he's had to put up with from previous regimes.

And what everyone is conveniently leaving out is that the Avs soured on Duchene long before Duchene soured on them. To me those "playoff hockey" comments were as much about him trying to avoid taking any pot shots as it was anything else. Unfortunately for him those comments backfired.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Meh, if you've soured on the guy, that's fine, I can see why, I haven't though. I'm glad everyone has moved on but I've no ill will toward the guy, unlike O'Reilly, who can get stuffed far as I'm concerned.

I don't think his comments were out of line at all though. If Bednar and the players who remain felt it was a sign of disrespect that's their business, but I felt he explained himself well enough. He had spent nearly a decade on Avs teams that were, for the most part, spinning their wheels. I can't blame the guy for wanting out after the nonsense he's had to put up with from previous regimes.

And what everyone is conveniently leaving out is that the Avs soured on Duchene long before Duchene soured on them. To me those "playoff hockey" comments were as much about him trying to avoid taking any pot shots as it was anything else. Unfortunately for him those comments backfired.

I've felt weirdly indifferent regarding Duchene even throughout most of his time as an Av. So I feel pretty indifferent now. The bipolar play really killed it for me early with him. Funny thing is I think he got more consistent in his final years, but poison was already in the pool so to speak.

I'd take him back in a heart beat in free-agency if there was no problem with it in the locker room though. Just pragmatic not to pass up free talent when it's needed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's a weird spot for the Avs. If they do a video tribute, there's a section of people who'll criticize them for doing it for a player who demanded a trade and took a shot at the franchise after he left. If they don't do it, they'll get criticized for not taking the high road and giving some respect to a player who gave it his all for 8 years. I like Duchene so I hope it's the former. It doesn't take much to put up a little video and have the fans give him a hand, if they want to.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m not the biggest fan of duchene because of the way he left. But he still deserves some sort of tribute for being the best player post Foppa/Sakic.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'd still love to have Duchene back as a player, but as a person he's alienated himself from the locker room.

Honestly, he would be a great #2C for us and while I want to say I wish things parted differently, he was the catalyst that brought the Avs out of mediocrity. I'll sacrifice Duchene never being welcomed back onto the team for what he did for Mac + co. anyday.

Reactions: McMetal

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I'd still love to have Duchene back as a player, but as a person he's alienated himself from the locker room.

Honestly, he would be a great #2C for us and while I want to say I wish things parted differently, he was the catalyst that brought the Avs out of mediocrity. I'll sacrifice Duchene never being welcomed back onto the team for what he did for Mac + co. anyday.
And after he scores he celebrates like he did when he hit 30 - that one time. And then Guy will lose his sh!t like Roy did - good memory that is ;)

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Why do a tribute video? The Avs should get Patrick Roy to come perform a ceremonial puck drop for Duchene’s return.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
McLeod got tribute, so should Duchene. He had some great moments with Avalanche at the end and some amazing highlight reel goals.

Don't be bitter .

Reactions: Tommy G

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
This is going to be a great game. Mack and Douche are going to be flying and playing with purpose. Hopefully they are matched up.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I do fear tonight's game is gonna be a total trap game. I think both Dutchy and Andy will be out for revenge and the Avs are still not playing great hockey, they also seem to struggle a bit with faster teams. If I'm a betting man, I take the Sens in this one.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Can’t wait to watch the tribute video. I will definitely get goosebumps. Muhmuhmuh Matt Duchene was electric. Face of the franchise for many years and for good reason. Wish him well in Ottowa’s, just not tonight!

Reactions: Tommy G and Murzu

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I do fear tonight's game is gonna be a total trap game. I think both Dutchy and Andy will be out for revenge and the Avs are still not playing great hockey, they also seem to struggle a bit with faster teams. If I'm a betting man, I take the Sens in this one.

This game will come down to Andy imo. Our top line will be on fire tonight after laying an egg vs Tampa and Ottawa's defense is going to give up good chances. If Andy plays like he did during the SJ playoff series, this game will be close. If we strike early and just lay it on I have a feeling we'll see a lot of pouty Duchene and Anderson on the bench in the third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad