Pre-Game Talk: Week of All Stars (Nsh, Min, ASG@SJ)

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
What the hell Bednar/Sakic, where is Francouz?

We have seen enough from Varly and Grubauer
I'm afraid we don't really have a choice when it comes to Grubauer. He will stay for a while so he needs to get a few games to build up the team's trust in him again. (I hate this so much but it is what it is.)
I agree on Varly and Francouz, though. It's blowing my mind how Franky hasn't gotten his chance yet.

Edit: Or is he so bad in the AHL? I can't watch that league.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm afraid we don't really have a choice when it comes to Grubauer. He will stay for a while so he needs to get a few games to build up the team's trust in him again. (I hate this so much but it is what it is.)
I agree on Varly and Francouz, though. It's blowing my mind how Franky hasn't gotten his chance yet.

Edit: Or is he so bad in the AHL? I can't watch that league.
If I'm not mistaken, he's an AHL all star.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If they don't call up Francouz at this point then I'm not even entirely sure what to say. Their season is slipping away, their goaltending isn't good enough, they need to change something, and they went out and seriously pursued the guy to get him over here...and he's a pending UFA. All rational thought indicates he should have been up here yesterday.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If they don't call up Francouz at this point then I'm not even entirely sure what to say. Their season is slipping away, their goaltending isn't good enough, they need to change something, and they went out and seriously pursued the guy to get him over here...and he's a pending UFA. All rational thought indicates he should have been up here yesterday.
Thats what im not understanding. Why did we even go after him? Was the intention to play him in the AHL for the entire year? Both times hes been called up and had to come in net he looked really good. There really is nothing to lose with giving him some starts. This aint some kid straight out of the WHL that you are trying to protect. This a grown man who played against high level competition. Makes no sense to leave him in Loveland.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I may be overthinking this but I can't help but think there were some assurances from the Avalanche to the Eagles ownership group, and that may be a reason why they're not just calling Francouz up, like RIGHT NOW. I wonder if they're trying to secure a minor league goalie first. I dunno...I know I'm reaching here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I may be overthinking this but I can't help but think there were some assurances from the Avalanche to the Eagles ownership group, and that may be a reason why they're not just calling Francouz up, like RIGHT NOW. I wonder if they're trying to secure a minor league goalie first. I dunno...I know I'm reaching here.
Fook the Eagles. Mans needs to be in Denver like 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don't understand why Francouz hasn't been called up, either. We couldn't have been worse over the last 20 games, if he got a shot, and blew it, well we would have lost anyways. At least give the guy a chance. I can't imagine him not playing before the deadline. It makes zero sense from a management standpoint to have him be a mystery heading into the deadline.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
If I'm not mistaken, he's an AHL all star.
In that case it has to be waiver related. Like they can call him up and send him down again without exposing him to waivers in an injury related emergency but can't do this as long as there are two healthy goalies on the team or something. I looked it up and according to what I read he's waiver exempt for his first season (number of games doesn't matter because of his age) but this information has to be wrong. There just is no other explanation.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
In that case it has to be waiver related. Like they can call him up and send him down again without exposing him to waivers in an injury related emergency but can't do this as long as there are two healthy goalies on the team or something. I looked it up and according to what I read he's waiver exempt for his first season (number of games doesn't matter because of his age) but this information has to be wrong. There just is no other explanation.
No, this information is legit. They called him up before when Varly missed a few games.

The only thing i can imagine is that they don't want to ride 3 goalies. Stuff like that never works and their confidence is already as low as it gets.

But then again, who cares? They are about to piss the season away and our goaltending is the main reason for that. If they don't call up Franc during the break to give him a longer look i don't know what to think anymore.

Maybe they want to finish bottom 5 to get 2 high draft picks. Would set them up nicely for the future. At least it seems that way - but that can't be true, right?

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
No, this information is legit. They called him up before when Varly missed a few games.

The only thing i can imagine is that they don't want to ride 3 goalies. Stuff like that never works and their confidence is already as low as it gets.

But then again, who cares? They are about to piss the season away and our goaltending is the main reason for that. If they don't call up Franc during the break to give him a longer look i don't know what to think anymore.

Maybe they want to finish bottom 5 to get 2 high draft picks. Would set them up nicely for the future. At least it seems that way - but that can't be true, right?
Yeah, but Varly was on IR then, I think. So it was an injury related emergency in that case. I don't know, though. It's just the only explanation I can come up with because nothing else seems to make sense.
Well, that's not true. There are a few other possible reasons if we assume they've changed their plan and want to re-sign Varly or are at least thinking about it now. I mean, the Avs are still in a playoff position and Sakic is a patient guy. Showcasing Varly hoping to trade him is a possibility as well, I guess.

Whatever the reason is, we'll probably know more in about a month.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Here’s where I’m at with goaltending. Don’t play Varlamov anymore. Is he better than Grubauer? Probably, but we have zero commitment to Varlamov after this season. We’re stuck with Grubauer so we may as well throw him in there and see if he can at least get some confidence.

Preferably I’d love for Varlamov to be traded (even though he has no value) so that we can also call up Francouz. We have no idea what we have in this guy and there’s no chance he’s willing to stick around if we aren’t willing to give him an opportunity.

Trade Varly for whatever you can get. Run Grubauer and Frankie on a split. If Frankie impressed, offer him a contract. If he doesn’t, we’re searching for a high end goalie in the offseason.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Here’s where I’m at with goaltending. Don’t play Varlamov anymore. Is he better than Grubauer? Probably, but we have zero commitment to Varlamov after this season. We’re stuck with Grubauer so we may as well throw him in there and see if he can at least get some confidence.

Preferably I’d love for Varlamov to be traded (even though he has no value) so that we can also call up Francouz. We have no idea what we have in this guy and there’s no chance he’s willing to stick around if we aren’t willing to give him an opportunity.

Trade Varly for whatever you can get. Run Grubauer and Frankie on a split. If Frankie impressed, offer him a contract. If he doesn’t, we’re searching for a high end goalie in the offseason.

source.gif

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Too bad we have to assume Sakic and Bednar will run with Varlamov to the end of the season even though it has no benefit.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the Avs could have managed this goaltending situation any worse. They're hell bent on going with a guy clearly struggling and that doesn't have a contract past this season instead of a guy they traded for a signed to a multi-year deal (who is also struggling) or the guy they heavily courted from the KHL.

Seriously. Mind boggling.

Watch Varlamov start against Minnesota, too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think the Avs could have managed this goaltending situation any worse. They're hell bent on going with a guy clearly struggling and that doesn't have a contract past this season instead of a guy they traded for a signed to a multi-year deal (who is also struggling) or the guy they heavily courted from the KHL.

Seriously. Mind boggling.

Watch Varlamov start against Minnesota, too.

When both of your goalies are sucking, and you manage them based on the history books entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad