Pre-Game Talk: Week in the Wild West (@SJ, @LA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I didn't pay full attention while reading and thought they were just talking about the Varly court case but yeah I just reread it and it's bad lol.

I agree that standing pat and learning about the playoffs is probably a good idea though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't pay full attention while reading and thought they were just talking about the Varly court case but yeah I just reread it and it's bad lol.

I agree that standing pat and learning about the playoffs is probably a good idea though.

I do too, keep the train rolling and don't change any future plans. They probably will still make a minor or minor league trade though.

Trade Beauch, I can't even.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
IMO the media has gotten pretty lazy in the stats age... it seems fewer and fewer media types are watching the games and more are just looking at 'possession' stats that are not really puck on stick possession, but shots. Then extrapolating that to team success... when it doesn't really work that way.

That's why I love Pierre McGuire. He does so much knowledge and puts so much research into his work. I know some things he says aren't relevant (like personal stories of individual players) but man he pays attention to games.

The World Championships were in Halifax in 08 and my brother in law worked the event. He said Pierre came to the arena hours before any players would hit the ice. He'd sit in the stands by himself reading through his notes and different articles and would speak to absolutely everybody he walked past. Apparently he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet too.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I do too, keep the train rolling and don't change any future plans. They probably will still make a minor or minor league trade though.

Trade Beauch, I can't even.

Well, like any one there can always be a fantastic return... Beauch for a number one an number two in the next year and a functional top 6 forward?

I agree with you, it is imo just apart from Dutchii, who went from being the most selfish player I have ever seen early in his days here to the true team guy, I do not think anyone is off limits, maybe Varlimov, but its again the what do we get....
I dont think if I was the head at Avs HQ, I would turn down a first a second or two and some actively good players for anyone... but honestly what we need is not to give away a functioning Soda's and Beauch... its to be buyers and GET another d man. I know we have seimens and Zads and God knows who else coming in from afar next few years... but TODAY we need help.. right now we need another guy like a healthy Stuart... some one who can stop a breakout... man we look good at that at times but we can always improve especially the bottom pairing, and some one who does not fluster under the fore check....

So, trade or buy a player from a seller team who is going to be unrestricted.... Say if Wini falls away before the deadline get a deal on a Byfuiglionii ... as an example. Sorry for all the names being butchered...

Go Avs, man do I feel confident after beating LA again.. Its like Sharks game never happened!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Landeskog is at Varly's trial today. He wasn't listed previously as a witness, but that's the Captain. It's a good thing everyone judges based off what they see on the ice, like there's nothing more to leadership than what you see on the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's why I love Pierre McGuire. He does so much knowledge and puts so much research into his work. I know some things he says aren't relevant (like personal stories of individual players) but man he pays attention to games.

The World Championships were in Halifax in 08 and my brother in law worked the event. He said Pierre came to the arena hours before any players would hit the ice. He'd sit in the stands by himself reading through his notes and different articles and would speak to absolutely everybody he walked past. Apparently he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet too.

I've never met him, but I have heard stories of the legwork he does... I get annoyed with the stories of what prep school a player went to 14 years ago, but I appreciate that he is one of the few that really puts in the work.

I still stand by the idea that the Avs need to bring in a RD to help the bottom pairing get more minutes. Also, if Rantanen can't help the top 9... a top 9 winger would would be a good addition as well. I don't think they should spend to the moon, but a mid round pick or two and expendable prospects should be on the table.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Landeskog is at Varly's trial today. He wasn't listed previously as a witness, but that's the Captain. It's a good thing everyone judges based off what they see on the ice, like there's nothing more to leadership than what you see on the ice.

Atta boy Landy great for showing up for your teammate.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
IMO the media has gotten pretty lazy in the stats age... it seems fewer and fewer media types are watching the games and more are just looking at 'possession' stats that are not really puck on stick possession, but shots. Then extrapolating that to team success... when it doesn't really work that way.

So much said in so few words, that's a great post.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Roy and Sherman were witnesses for the Plaintiff in this trial. I'm not quite understanding the point of that.

To cause as much pain and unrest as possible, and put a divide between him and his employers.

Force him to settle to avoid embarrassment.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Based on the tweets... the house of cards is falling on the case.

Yeah Abrams wife is blowing the top off of the story Vavrinyuk has told. She also has very little if any motive to lie for either side.

Based on her story, I had a similar thing happen. However my ex-wife told me she called the cops when she hadn't so I was advised to report the incident as well.

Being the first one to call the police matters far more than it should. If Varly had called and reported his side first, my bet is shes the one in jail. Which is exactly what happened in my case.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah Abrams wife is blowing the top off of the story Vavrinyuk has told. She also has very little if any motive to lie for either side.

I wouldn't say that since Vavrinyuk fired her husband, but her testimony alone should create a substantial amount of doubt in the Vavrinyuk's telling of the events.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't say that since Vavrinyuk fired her husband, but her testimony alone should create a substantial amount of doubt in the Vavrinyuk's telling of the events.

Yeah I said very little, there is history even beyond that obviously with the two (but it's supposedly positive as they were 'friends'). You'd have a hard time proving Vavrinyuk firing her husband caused her enough grief and hardship to get her to lie under oath though.

Just saying she'd be very difficult to discredit IMO

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd like to know why the lawyer was fired because it wasn't over the interviews. She was caught in lies very early on. Admitting falsifying homeland security documents should be enough. I also think the fact that she got pregnant by a married man and lives with his parents is telling enough as well.

Anyway, Roy's account of Varly coming to him crying saying he shouldn't play and Roy said he wants Varky to go in and lose the game for them is pretty damn powerful stuff. Pretty sure they won that game too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd like to know why the lawyer was fired because it wasn't over the interviews. She was caught in lies very early on. Admitting falsifying homeland security documents should be enough. I also think the fact that she got pregnant by a married man and lives with his parents is telling enough as well.

Anyway, Roy's account of Varly coming to him crying saying he shouldn't play and Roy said he wants Varky to go in and lose the game for them is pretty damn powerful stuff. Pretty sure they won that game too.

We can add that one to Varly's list of nick names I think, you do POD casts and write so you qualify as a media person IMO.

'Varky'

:D

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
It would be interesting to get a legal experts opinion's on how the plaintiff's attorney is handling the case. The BSN reporter acknowledges being a hockey writer covering this. Obviously though based on those reports it sounds like a train wreck with the judge reprimanding the plaintiff's attorney on multiple occasions.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I stopped reading when they said Varly was pedestrian at best lol.

We won't agree there... Varly pedestrian at best part is absurd. Since his break to re-group he has been great. Trading Beauch is possibly the worst thing the Avs could do. Then the idea that the Avs can only do 'hockey trades' before the deadline... since warm bodies never get added to trades to make the contract situation work. 3 pretty big errors and the Varly link was sensationalist.

Where in the article did it say he was pedestrian at all, let alone at best? It says streaky at best. And this year, he has been. No other way to describe this season. Horrible start for 14 games (3 good ones in there). Then lights out for 9 straight. Then 3 of 4 stinkers. Then one good, one great. Then a week of sub .900 followed by a week of over .960. Streaky. and it even says despite it not being elite level goaltending, the possibility is there for the playoffs (meaning he could streak hot at the right time). With all the good streaks, Varly is still 19th in SV% among "qualified" goalies for the year.

The link is to one of the most biased articles out there about the Varly case. The headline alone is blatant...should have been "She claims Varly told her...". The way it is written makes it seem like he himself said that in court. Bad journalist, bad. And one of the reasons the Post is not well thought of by the Avs I am guessing.

The Avs are the worst Corsi team in the league. And they are 19th for goal differential 5v5 (14th all situations). We are 28th in OZ% as well. We suck at possession. But we capitalize on chances, and our PDO is good, but not outlier high so as to invite scorn for the statwhackers. The one that worries me in Scoring Chance %...we are second worst in that, 5v5 and All. But wins mean more than stats, so as long as they win, I will have hope. Just tempered a bit b the insight the stats can infer. I have more realistic hope this year than two years ago. I see them getting to the second round, maybe even conference finals depending on matchups. SCF is still a pipe dream though.

And he is not that wrong when it comes to trade situations. Except the Beauch bit...not gonna happen, nor should it.

At least the article was not a complete negative, unlike so many others over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad