Pre-Game Talk: Week in the Wild West (@SJ, @LA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Where in the article did it say he was pedestrian at all, let alone at best? It says streaky at best. And this year, he has been. No other way to describe this season. Horrible start for 14 games (3 good ones in there). Then lights out for 9 straight. Then 3 of 4 stinkers. Then one good, one great. Then a week of sub .900 followed by a week of over .960. Streaky. and it even says despite it not being elite level goaltending, the possibility is there for the playoffs (meaning he could streak hot at the right time). With all the good streaks, Varly is still 19th in SV% among "qualified" goalies for the year.

The link is to one of the most biased articles out there about the Varly case. The headline alone is blatant...should have been "She claims Varly told her...". The way it is written makes it seem like he himself said that in court. Bad journalist, bad. And one of the reasons the Post is not well thought of by the Avs I am guessing.

The Avs are the worst Corsi team in the league. And they are 19th for goal differential 5v5 (14th all situations). We are 28th in OZ% as well. We suck at possession. But we capitalize on chances, and our PDO is good, but not outlier high so as to invite scorn for the statwhackers. The one that worries me in Scoring Chance %...we are second worst in that, 5v5 and All. But wins mean more than stats, so as long as they win, I will have hope. Just tempered a bit b the insight the stats can infer. I have more realistic hope this year than two years ago. I see them getting to the second round, maybe even conference finals depending on matchups. SCF is still a pipe dream though.

And he is not that wrong when it comes to trade situations. Except the Beauch bit...not gonna happen, nor should it.

At least the article was not a complete negative, unlike so many others over the last few years.

You know the article was edited after I posted it right?

Corsi is just a stat... too many media types are treating like it is the new Bible. Looking at it in context is one thing... treating it as the holy grail is another. It is pretty easy to see that even if the Avs are the worst Corsi team, that they are far from the worst team in the NHL. I'd say their current placement is about where they should be (also not far off their goal differential... which is about as good of predictor as Corsi).

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Why are we allowed to rail on Dater, Chambers, Frei, or whoever for making a typo, then?

It is all in fun. Relax. Be happy that you started a fad.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
You know the article was edited after I posted it right?

Corsi is just a stat... too many media types are treating like it is the new Bible. Looking at it in context is one thing... treating it as the holy grail is another. It is pretty easy to see that even if the Avs are the worst Corsi team, that they are far from the worst team in the NHL. I'd say their current placement is about where they should be (also not far off their goal differential... which is about as good of predictor as Corsi).

No, I didn't. Seems odd that they would edit that word, but it was warranted. He has been streaky. And the average comes out to pedestrian...but we all know he is not. And most certainly not "at best."

Yeah, the ones that use stats as the primary factor in analysis are lazy. But this author seems to use stats to back up viewings, whic is doing it right. They are others that do it as well. And hey, the current crop of stats are better predictors than +/- :).

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I wonder how biased the BSN tweets are. It's a hockey writer covering the Avs, we have to keep that in mind. They are tweeting about the plaintiff's attorney going hard after the current witness but all the testimony being reported is making the plaintiff look bad. What are the arguments being made by the attorney to blow holes in the testimony?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Carly Sodermov would be a great name. Those two should merge.

@ Commander Enigma:

This whole trial makes the plaintiff look bad. And that makes sense. If Varly really had something to fear or lose in this trial, he would already have settled IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, the ones that use stats as the primary factor in analysis are lazy. But this author seems to use stats to back up viewings, whic is doing it right. They are others that do it as well. And hey, the current crop of stats are better predictors than +/- :).

I'd argue that he isn't... Kennedy isn't real knowledgeable on the Avs. If he was, he wouldn't have originally put that Varly was pedestrian (coming off a #1 star week) and that they should look at trading Beauch. Anybody who has watched this team over the past two months know that both viewpoints are completely and utterly wrong. He was pulling the low hanging fruit saying the Avs suck at Corsi, so they should look at selling the vet and wait to contend. Overlooking the value the Beauch brings to this team on and off the ice.

I'd agree that Varly (and the goaltending in general) has been streaky. It has been on since December though and about at the level the Avs should expect from it. Varly is easily a top 10 goalie IMO, and the Avs should expect top 10 level goaltending.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Carly Sodermov would be a great name. Those two should merge.

@ Commander Enigma:

This whole trial makes the plaintiff look bad. And that makes sense. If Varly really had something to fear or lose in this trial, he would already have settled IMO.

Yeah the tweets certainly make look that way, and I'm not doubting it, but I'm not assuming we are getting a complete picture by any means. Moments after my last post BSN tweeted that they've done a poor job transcribing the testimony and that the attorney did an effective job at making the witness appear unreliable.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wonder how biased the BSN tweets are. It's a hockey writer covering the Avs, we have to keep that in mind. They are tweeting about the plaintiff's attorney going hard after the current witness but all the testimony being reported is making the plaintiff look bad. What are the arguments being made by the attorney to blow holes in the testimony?

Yeah, I wondered that after the plaintiff's arguments weren't transcribed in detail. That said I'm absolutely shocked if the plaintiff wins the case after what I've read since the whole thing surfaced.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Then they said it was her account that basically got the charges dropped. Of course she was in on it for about a month herself. So it's not surprising to me she'd come off iffy.

I don't think they are any more biased than we are. If something had come up that was a surprising bit of evidence they would have said it.

It's going to come down to if there's any reason to doubt the plaintiff's version of the events and I'd say there's plenty. They've caught her lying on the stand already. I believe she admitted she hit him first. She lied on her homeland security documents. That and I'm not sure they've established much grounds for damages. She quit going to therapy and haven't established loss of income.

I'd like to know what it was that got the lawyer and his wife to turn on her.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
It's not all in fun when I was writing about VARLY's emotional breakdown to Roy but whatever.

Your post was not "in fun," true. It is very serious. But having fun with the typo is NOT making light of the rest of the post.

You could also chalk it up to guys being bad a dealing with other guys crying if you want. We really do suck at it. Not saying that is the case here (for me at least).

Pretty sure us railing on whoever it was (Chambers? Cant find it now) screwing up Grigorenko's name has zero to do with the fact that he was getting traded here. That was a pretty serious tweet, as far as news goes (not as emotional as the Varly situation, but plenty serious). But we latched on to Greg Grekorako as a running joke, and is now used by many as his nickname around here.

At least with you, you know it us having fun with you because we love you.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I don't think they are any more biased than we are.

Well, we ARE Avs fans, so we're not exactly going to be the most impartial bunch. :) But I get your point. I'm not saying we are getting a completely twisted accounting of events but it's probably best to keep in mind it's not a complete picture, and I'm sure the BSN reporter will be the first to admit that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Your post was not "in fun," true. It is very serious. But having fun with the typo is NOT making light of the rest of the post.

You could also chalk it up to guys being bad a dealing with other guys crying if you want. We really do suck at it. Not saying that is the case here (for me at least).

Pretty sure us railing on whoever it was (Chambers? Cant find it now) screwing up Grigorenko's name has zero to do with the fact that he was getting traded here. That was a pretty serious tweet, as far as news goes (not as emotional as the Varly situation, but plenty serious). But we latched on to Greg Grekorako as a running joke, and is now used by many as his nickname around here.

At least with you, you know it us having fun with you because we love you.

Yeah this was the intent, I even tried to throw you a underhanded compliment about being a media person as well.

Sorry

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I'd like to know why the lawyer was fired because it wasn't over the interviews. She was caught in lies very early on. Admitting falsifying homeland security documents should be enough. I also think the fact that she got pregnant by a married man and lives with his parents is telling enough as well.

Anyway, Roy's account of Varly coming to him crying saying he shouldn't play and Roy said he wants Varky to go in and lose the game for them is pretty damn powerful stuff. Pretty sure they won that game too.

wait what? When did this happen?:amazed:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I could have posted something like 'Streaky Varky!' at some point? Or 'That save was Varkylicious!', and people would immediately think of you and give you mad credit. :cry:

OT thread in 2030: "Man you remember the time TV came up with the nickname Varky that we all still use literally all the time? That's too bad about Bubba though..." :naughty:

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Then they said it was her account that basically got the charges dropped. Of course she was in on it for about a month herself. So it's not surprising to me she'd come off iffy.

I don't think they are any more biased than we are. If something had come up that was a surprising bit of evidence they would have said it.

It's going to come down to if there's any reason to doubt the plaintiff's version of the events and I'd say there's plenty. They've caught her lying on the stand already. I believe she admitted she hit him first. She lied on her homeland security documents. That and I'm not sure they've established much grounds for damages. She quit going to therapy and haven't established loss of income.

I'd like to know what it was that got the lawyer and his wife to turn on her.

Just going off the BSN stuff, she said she was "comfortable" while living there and "inappropriate". Wild accusation maybe, but perhaps something between the husband/lawyer and her? Also maybe at some point they just stopped being comfortable with what APPEARS to be a completely false accusation with huge ramifications.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Just going off the BSN stuff, she said she was "comfortable" while living there and "inappropriate". Wild accusation maybe, but perhaps something between the husband/lawyer and her? Also maybe at some point they just stopped being comfortable with what APPEARS to be a completely false accusation with huge ramifications.

Yeah that 'inappropriate' comment is a serious lose end of a statement. It brings up thoughts like you just had.

Mine was a little lighter, like maybe she didn't keep herself as covered around the husband as the wife would have liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad