Pre-Game Talk: Week in the Wild West (@SJ, @LA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
One more back to back (why not?) in California before the All-Star break and some much needed rest for the boys in burgundy.

Should be a low news week with only two games an no pressing decisions. Maybe we'll hear of how Skille survived his own lawn chair moment or any other lineup shuffling.

Also taking part at the end of the week are the All-Star festivities for Matt Duchene and Mikko Rantanen. NHL skills competition on Saturday at 5pm MT and the ASG on Sunday at 3pm MT. The AHL All-Star game is also this weekend with the AHL skills competition on Sunday at 6pm MT and the ASG on Monday at 5pm MT.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
If we can run these 2 and keep the streak going before the break that would be amazing. However, I feel like every year we go into the all star break on a high then come out flat for the first few games afterwards.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Extremly funny right now watching the AVs playing, hopefully 2-3 pts for those guys.

Btw: the TV moderator on altitude absolutely loves saying Varlamovs name, doesn't he? :D
That scares me

Usually he has a lot of chances to do so too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought there was some rule if you were on the NHL roster on X date then you were entitled to the NHL all star break.

I think Bigras is safe for a bit, as long as he keeps playing with one of the bums I don't see why they would change. They kept him to be on the third pair, they knew this going in to it.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Previously they had said that Pickard would get both of these starts. Anyone know if this is still the case? I wouldn't mind Picks against SJS and then Varly the next night against LAK. Pavelski is going to light us up no matter what :laugh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm thinking we beat the Sharks and then get steamrolled by the Kings as we limp into the All-Star break. Would love 4 points, just don't see it, but who knows with this team.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Also, how solid do people think our top 4 is?

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie

EJ - good #1
Barrie - elite #2
Beauch - very good #3
Holden - passable #4

Yes, Bigras will jump past Holden in a year or even less, but I'm talking right now. How good is this top 4 in comparison to our rivals? How comfortable are we, as fans, in this top 4? Patrick seems very happy with it.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie

EJ - good #1
Barrie - elite #2
Beauch - very good #3
Holden - passable #4

Yes, Bigras will jump past Holden in a year or even less, but I'm talking right now. How good is this top 4 in comparison to our rivals? How comfortable are we, as fans, in this top 4? Patrick seems very happy with it.
The way Beauchemin has played this season, I think you'd have to considered him a good #2. He has basically been the Avs #1 defenceman all season.

I wouldn't trade the Avs defence core for Minnesota's, Jets', or Stars'. I like the mix on the Avs better than the Blues, even though their core is more talented. Nashville's top pairing is probably the best in the league, so I'd take them over the Avs, and of course would take Chicago's defence.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought there was some rule if you were on the NHL roster on X date then you were entitled to the NHL all star break.

I think Bigras is safe for a bit, as long as he keeps playing with one of the bums I don't see why they would change. They kept him to be on the third pair, they knew this going in to it.

I can't see Roy changing his top-4 (nor should he) and he plays them an insane amount of minutes. Bigras playing 8-10 minutes isn't doing him any good. Yes it's better than the tire-fire's we'd typically ice but Roy has repeatedly mentioned long-term development. If Bigras continues to see 8-10 minutes I think we'll see him sent down very soon.

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie

EJ - good #1
Barrie - elite #2
Beauch - very good #3
Holden - passable #4

I'm very comfortable with it, but that is always going to depend on how Holden plays. This season, he's exceeded expectations beyond belief. So we'll see how he continues to play after the all-star break.

Also, I'd call Beauchemin a very good #2 given how he's played this season. That isn't what I want him to be long-term (though I wouldn't mind if his play never drops off), but he's been a legitimate top-pairing defensemen this season.

When is the last time we as fans could say we have arguably 3 top-pairing defensemen on this team? 2001? Even if they aren't top-pairing players in terms of their abilities, they all have shown to have the capability to play top-pairing minutes this season and thrive. I love it. I'm very confident in the top-4.

The 3rd pairing on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad