Pre-Game Talk: Week in the Wild West (@SJ, @LA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy talking about how awesome he was at morning skate yesterday was good, but other than that, another useless interview. They're just getting worse with Lombardi there to ask questions from fans.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Or like when my wife's attorney advised her she'd get 1200$ a month in alimony by lying on her financial statement, instead of taking my offer of paying all of the debt and her car payment.

Paid 5K for a firm to represent her, and ended up with zero alimony and half the debt as the judge threw out her financial statement and used mine for her since she asked for 250$ a month in personal maintenance (hair & nails) among other ridiculousness lol.

Sometimes lawyers get a little too cocky IMO, the settlement just isn't good enough for them.

I have spent some time in the legal field and I can assure you that most of the time the lawyers are just really bad. Atleast over here in Europe.
Everyone with legal experience in the room knows it. Everyone in the room other than their client .

It also is simply most of the time not worth it for them to really prepare for a trial moneywise. They are often just winging it if there is not enough money in it for them.

It is also often a mission impossible to get your client to be reasonable. 90 % of the people are unable to convincingly lie in court IMO but most of them atleast try.

Once I was sitting in when the judge and the prosecutor talked about the case before the trial and that they agreed that they would go easy on the dude because they could understand why he did it and both wanted to finish this off quickly.

At the end the judge was shouting at both the defendant and his lawyer and the prosecutor absolutely hated his guts because it was amateur hour in there.

The judge kept throwing them lifelines and basically told him that he would go easy on him if he would stop trying to talk himself out of an obvious situation.

It was hilarious and frightening to watch.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I see other teams are sending players down to the AHL to play over the weekend. I wonder if the Avs do the same with Bigras.

I swear there's some rule that if someone was on the NHL roster on X date then they are entitled to the break, I just can't remember how far back it goes. So teams can't send down all their waiver exempt guys for the weekend.so Bigras might not have been up long enough, however if they intend to keep him for next week I think they just let him stay up.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
He said that he was chirping MacK yesterday that he couldn't score on him so MacK went to the other side to get away from Roy and he followed him and made sure he was taking enough shots.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really need to listen to this one

"Seriously at some point I thought I should take my gloves off" - Roy

LOL!

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I have spent some time in the legal field and I can assure you that most of the time the lawyers are just really bad. Atleast over here in Europe.
Everyone with legal experience in the room knows it. Everyone in the room other than their client .

It also is simply most of the time not worth it for them to really prepare for a trial moneywise. They are often just winging it if there is not enough money in it for them.

It is also often a mission impossible to get your client to be reasonable. 90 % of the people are unable to convincingly lie in court IMO but most of them atleast try.

Once I was sitting in when the judge and the prosecutor talked about the case before the trial and that they agreed that they would go easy on the dude because they could understand why he did it and both wanted to finish this off quickly.

At the end the judge was shouting at both the defendant and his lawyer and the prosecutor absolutely hated his guts because it was amateur hour in there.

The judge kept throwing them lifelines and basically told him that he would go easy on him if he would stop trying to talk himself out of an obvious situation.

It was hilarious and frightening to watch.

Weird, you always hope the human dynamic does not interfere with justice that much, but it seems to be the case quite often.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'm reading the BSN timeline on twitter.

Man I hope I never need to get to court. Seems to be a complete painstaking process. With a lot of pain involved.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Weird, you always hope the human dynamic does not interfere with justice that much, but it seems to be the case quite often.

Well those guys are professionals. And our legal system is not really comparable to yours.

You basically have to rob several banks or murder someone to get more than 10 years in jail. And even then you could get out in under 15.

So the behavior in court certainly has a lot of impact on the sentencing but the stakes are not as big as in the US.
And every judge usually knows the range that he is supposed to give after having sifted through the evidence/files/etc. before the trial.

A good lawyer can make things better and maybe even convince the judge of your innocence.

A bad lawyer will make the judge mad and lead to an unfavorable verdict.

Civil cases are different but a good lawyer might be even more important in them.

Lawyers are people too. A single lawyer working on his own will have a different case load and fewer ressources than a big law firm.

If your case is only worth about an hour of preparation to him moneywise but he would need 4-6 hours in order to properly prepare for trial, you are probably screwed.

EDIT: Sorry for derailing the thread but the GDT is already up so I don't really feel guilty about it :P.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well those guys are professionals. And our legal system is not really comparable to yours.

You basically have to rob several banks or murder someone to get more than 10 years in jail. And even then you could get out in under 15.

So the behavior in court certainly has a lot of impact on the sentencing but the stakes are not as big as in the US.
And every judge usually knows the range that he is supposed to give after having sifted through the evidence/files/etc. before the trial.

A good lawyer can make things better and maybe even convince the judge of your innocence.

A bad lawyer will make the judge mad and lead to an unfavorable verdict.

Civil cases are different but a good lawyer might be even more important in them.

Lawyers are people too. A single lawyer working on his own will have a different case load and fewer ressources than a big law firm.

If your case is only worth about an hour of preparation to him moneywise but he would need 4-6 hours in order to properly prepare for trial, you are probably screwed.

EDIT: Sorry for derailing the thread but the GDT is already up so I don't really feel guilty about it :P.

lol, so there the judge makes the decision? No jury?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
lol, so there the judge makes the decision? No jury?

Depends on the case.

Smaller trials are usually decided by one judge.

Sometimes you have two lay members and a judge who decide on the verdict together.

When the cases are getting bigger you usually have 3 judges and for the big cases or later instances you have 5 judges deciding.

I like the system better than the one in the US to be honest.

The verdict does not hinge on 12 people who have no idea about the law but on professionals who usually are pretty good at their jobs (you need very good grades in order to become a judge and the best of the best usually are on those higher courts).

But that is probably because I grew up in that system.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Depends on the case.

Smaller trials are usually decided by one judge.

Sometimes you have two lay members and a judge who decide on the verdict together.

When the cases are getting bigger you usually have 3 judges and for the big cases or later instances you have 5 judges deciding.

I like the system better than the one in the US to be honest.

The verdict does not hinge on 12 people who have no idea about the law but on professionals who usually are pretty good at their jobs (you need very good grades in order to become a judge and the best of the best usually are on those higher courts).

But that is probably because I grew up in that system.

Interesting, growing up in America they don't teach you **** about other countries legal systems. Unless it's something from 200 years ago lol.

I'd be kind of worried about the single judge situation, but other than that... Yeah it makes sense.

Edit : And we're kind of taught that our system is this revolutionary way of doing things, and most other countries are still in the stone ages.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
2 points, perfect. Now let's move on to easier games please.

have you seen our schedule for the beginning of Feb,
BUT we do have the best record in nhl against the west...
hummm

Tue, Feb 02 vs Blackhawks 7:00 PM Alti

Thu, Feb 04 vs Stars 7:00 PM Alti

Sat, Feb 06 vs Jets 8:00 PM CBC

Tue, Feb 09 vs Canucks 7:00 PM RSNP

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Hawks worry me. Jets and Canucks not so much. And Stars lately,not really either.

But that is me...the players need to go into each and every game thinking like they are underdogs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The article was actually pretty good until the Beauch part.

We won't agree there... Varly pedestrian at best part is absurd. Since his break to re-group he has been great. Trading Beauch is possibly the worst thing the Avs could do. Then the idea that the Avs can only do 'hockey trades' before the deadline... since warm bodies never get added to trades to make the contract situation work. 3 pretty big errors and the Varly link was sensationalist.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the media has gotten pretty lazy in the stats age... it seems fewer and fewer media types are watching the games and more are just looking at 'possession' stats that are not really puck on stick possession, but shots. Then extrapolating that to team success... when it doesn't really work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad