NFL GDT: Week 18

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well he made damn sure to eliminate his own team from the playoffs with that ridiculous TO. Coach of the year right there
Regardless of him taking that TO, raiders were going to give the ball to Jacobs and see what the result was. Get nothing. Either let the clock expire or Punt. There was probably a number of yards where they drain the clock and try a FG with 2 seconds to go. There was 4 seconds on the ply clock when LAC called the TO and 38 seconds on the clock. 4 seconds not changing anything.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't know why the Chargers wouldn't try to win the game with 5:30 minutes left. I don't know by which math they can run down the clock to zero from there without getting a 1st down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

That’s why the prisoner’s dilemma question ends with both people confessing. Don’t trust the other side. At that point LV not in a position to lose the game.

47 of the Raiders is the long snapper. So he would be ready to go into the game on 4th down if they weren’t going to run out the clock.

I doubt that’s a pro lip reader? Maybe it was would you try a long one? Who knows…. Jacobs ripping off a 9 yard run gave Carlson a legit shot of hitting it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Call me crazy but I think the Raiders send out the kicking team on 4th down if the Chargers stop them on the 3rd down run to attempt a long field goal. I think all along the Raiders were going for the win.

Still idiotic for Staley to call that timeout.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Call me crazy but I think the Raiders send out the kicking team on 4th down if the Chargers stop them on the 3rd down run to attempt a long field goal. I think all along the Raiders were going for the win.

Not from that far out. Like 55 yards. Cause to get the distance the K May end up with a lower trajectory. Which could lead to a block.

not going to attempt it if LAC called their last timeout with 25 seconds left. Would just punt it and watch LA take a knee.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not from that far out. Like 55 yards. Cause to get the distance the K May end up with a lower trajectory. Which could lead to a block.

not going to attempt it if LAC called their last timeout with 25 seconds left. Would just punt it and watch LA take a knee.
Thing is if the Chargers don't call timeout on 3rd down, I doubt they call timeout on 4th down if they somewhat stop Jacobs. The kick would be a shot-in-the-dark attempt at winning.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I don't know how the timeout really makes a difference in terms of whether the Chargers stop the Raiders there. If the Chargers don't call the TO the Raiders would quite possibly also converted the 3rd down to put them into a similar position with 1st down in FG range. Yes there would have been less time left on the clock, but it's not like the Raiders didn't have a TO to stop the clock to kick the FG there.

The whole premise is basically that the Raiders took a timeout by the opposing team personally and then based their entire approach on that 'disrespect' rather than on a desire to avoid Kansas City in the playoffs and send a division rival to the golf course.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
That timeout was so dumb even the announcers were baffled. The best they could've hoped for at that point was a tie, and they did something that made it more likely they lose.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Chargers coach doesn't know what the Raiders are going to do, let the clock run out, or get as many yards as they can and kick the FG. So he lets the game clock get inside 40 seconds so the Raiders still have the option to let the clock run out, then for whatever reason he felt his best chance at stopping the Raiders' next play was to call a timeout. Whether that was to give some guys some rest, or he didn't like his defensive setup.

What devious intentions could he have to call timeout with 4 seconds left on the play clock rather than call it as soon as the last play ended with like 1:13 on the clock or something? He's not hoping to stop the Raiders and get either a punt or a missed FG and need either 90 yards for a TD(after a punt), or 35 for a FG(after a missed FG) in 30 seconds when he could have had 70 seconds by calling the same timeout earlier. All to try to win to make the playoffs when they could do nothing and make the playoffs.

Whether the Raiders thought there were devious intentions from the timeout and that changed their strategy is another question but they shouldn't have. There's no devious reason to call the timeout when the Chargers did. The Raiders were likely going to run the ball, get as many yards as they could get and then kick the FG as a win they get to face Cincinnati instead of the Chiefs who have wrecked them twice this season.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That timeout was so dumb even the announcers were baffled. The best they could've hoped for at that point was a tie, and they did something that made it more likely they lose.
They force a punt, anything can happen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Chargers coach doesn't know what the Raiders are going to do, let the clock run out, or get as many yards as they can and kick the FG. So he lets the game clock get inside 40 seconds so the Raiders still have the option to let the clock run out, then for whatever reason he felt his best chance at stopping the Raiders' next play was to call a timeout. Whether that was to give some guys some rest, or he didn't like his defensive setup.

What devious intentions could he have to call timeout with 4 seconds left on the play clock rather than call it as soon as the last play ended with like 1:13 on the clock or something? He's not hoping to stop the Raiders and get either a punt or a missed FG and need either 90 yards for a TD(after a punt), or 35 for a FG(after a missed FG) in 30 seconds when he could have had 70 seconds by calling the same timeout earlier. All to try to win to make the playoffs when they could do nothing and make the playoffs.

Whether the Raiders thought there were devious intentions from the timeout and that changed their strategy is another question but they shouldn't have. There's no devious reason to call the timeout when the Chargers did. The Raiders were likely going to run the ball, get as many yards as they could get and then kick the FG as a win they get to face Cincinnati instead of the Chiefs who have wrecked them twice this season.
I agree. The goal was to leave 25 seconds left in the event the raiders thought about a FG. If they missed then the chargers have the ball around their own 40 if they prevent Jacobs from getting a first down.

that risk would likely force the raiders to punt. Cole would likely be given orders to kick it out of the end zone. Or sky it as high as possible to eliminate a chance of a return. Or kick it out of bounds.

when LA got the ball they’d just take a knee since the raiders can’t get the ball back with 2 TO and 20 seconds to go.

even as a raiders fan I kind of was hoping that Jacobs got stuffed and the tie was preserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad