NFL GDT: Week 18

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Well either way it was an amazing game. Hard to believe Herbert somehow converted all of those 4th and 10's just to go into OT.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Emmanuel Acho pointed out something crucial. Pre-timeout, Chargers had 4-2-5 personnel against 3 WR-1 TE-1 RB. Post-timeout, Raiders had had same group but Chargers swapped out a LB for another DB. I suppose it's Captain Hindsight, but I didn't think the Raiders were passing there despite the personnel.

Anyways, Dean Spanos can go to hell.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Emmanuel Acho pointed out something crucial. Pre-timeout, Chargers had 4-2-5 personnel against 3 WR-1 TE-1 RB. Post-timeout, Raiders had had same group but Chargers swapped out a LB for another DB. I suppose it's Captain Hindsight, but I didn't think the Raiders were passing there despite the personnel.

Raiders never had any intent on putting the ball in the air. You could tell by the way they ran the play clock down before each snap that they were content with playing for the tie if the Chargers were. I believe they were going to hand off out of the shotgun but were hoping the formation would trick the Chargers into changing their personnel group, which they did.

What a great day of football.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Upon further review, Chargers went from 4-2-5 to 3-3-5. They subbed out ILB Kenneth Murray who apparently was having a rough game. Acho thinks an ILB would have had a better chance/instincts at stuffing that play.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Good for the Raiders, they earned it. f*** you, Spanos.

No one, however, bears the embarrassment the Colts do this week. The only thing that stands between you and the postseason (where you'd stand a very good chance against several of the teams you'd potentially face in the 1st round) is the worst team in football, against whom you're 15+ point favorites...and you lose by 15. I don't want to hear about COVID, I don't care about injuries, they have NO excuse whatsoever. None.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink

for a defensive coach that can't happen after a timeout, staley better get to work on that run defense and quit it with the riverboat ron 4th downs, i get being aggressive but there is being aggressive and being stupid, 4th and 1 down 3 at your own 18 is stupid and dean spanos can rot in hell

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i've seen college teams do it, don't think i've seen it in the nfl though
A lot of college kids don’t even take snaps under Center. Care has been in the NFL for like 8 years now, starting from day 1. He knows how to take a knee from under center.

I think the Raiders were content with the tie given that they had the ball at like the LA 45 at the 2 minute warning. Enough time to run the ball 3 times. If they didn’t get a first down they would be at the LA 36. 53 yard attempt at least.

Only do that on the final play of the game. But rather not risk a block or miss which is why Staley called his TO. Don’t let LV have a last second FG attempt. Put consequences there that if they missed LA has the ball outside their 40 for a chance to get into FG range with over 20 seconds on the clock.

But when they got the first down they were able to take the clock down to 2 seconds before attempting a 47 yarder.

LA clearly needs to upgrade their run D. Expect them to target DT and MLB at the draft or free agency. Also need an upgrade at RT.

Plus they need to run the ball more and better. Can’t just put it all in Herbert.

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Staley said in his presser that they figured the Raiders would run it and the Chargers changed their defense post-timeout to get their "best" personnel to stop it. Unfortunately the Chargers run D has been abysmal all season, so that perhaps fittingly did them in at the end.

As soon as the broadcast showed Spanos on the field, I couldn't help but find some schadenfreude if the Chargers didn't make it. Side effect of the team moving is that the highs of a win aren't quite as high and the lows aren't nearly as low. If they were still in SD, I'd probably be fuming for weeks. As it was, I was upset for a moment and then laughed it off.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
What I don't understand is why couldn't he have made the substitution on the fly? D personnel swaps in and out between plays all the time. He had 36 seconds from the end of the previous play to make the substitution. Now I don't know the ends and outs of football perfectly, so maybe someone can explain why a timeout was needed to make one substitution.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What I don't understand is why couldn't he have made the substitution on the fly? D personnel swaps in and out between plays all the time. He had 36 seconds from the end of the previous play to make the substitution. Now I don't know the ends and outs of football perfectly, so maybe someone can explain why a timeout was needed to make one substitution.
If the Offence changes personnel the Refs will give the Defence the opportunity to match.

If there are no substitutions on O, then it’s up to the D to make the changes before the ball is snapped otherwise they will either have too few players on the field, too many and get a penalty, or have enough guys but not be set for the play.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You play for a win, period. I don't think the Raiders were super aggressively trying to score on that final drive, but once they were able to get into range so easily you have to go for a win. To me, that final drive started as "let's just not lose the game." and very quickly became "ok let's win, but god forbid we f*** it up we leave no time on the clock for us to lose."

I don't think the Chargers TO at the end made a difference. Their run defense was the difference IMO

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A lot of college kids don’t even take snaps under Center. Care has been in the NFL for like 8 years now, starting from day 1. He knows how to take a knee from under center.

I think the Raiders were content with the tie given that they had the ball at like the LA 45 at the 2 minute warning. Enough time to run the ball 3 times. If they didn’t get a first down they would be at the LA 36. 53 yard attempt at least.

Only do that on the final play of the game. But rather not risk a block or miss which is why Staley called his TO. Don’t let LV have a last second FG attempt. Put consequences there that if they missed LA has the ball outside their 40 for a chance to get into FG range with over 20 seconds on the clock.

But when they got the first down they were able to take the clock down to 2 seconds before attempting a 47 yarder.

LA clearly needs to upgrade their run D. Expect them to target DT and MLB at the draft or free agency. Also need an upgrade at RT.

Plus they need to run the ball more and better. Can’t just put it all in Herbert.
I don’t think the Raiders ever planned to throw, either. I think the shotgun was only intended to spread the formation out and create more gaps. Raiders had no incentive to throw or go for the win there, but the Chargers coach froze.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think the Raiders ever planned to throw, either. I think the shotgun was only intended to spread the formation out and create more gaps. Raiders had no incentive to throw or go for the win there, but the Chargers coach froze.
On first down LA stuffed the run for minus 1 yard. On second down Jacobs gashed them for 7 yards to create the 3rd and 4. Feast or famine based on the first 2 runs. Timing wise the TO did nothing.
Up to the D to stop the first down. Raiders won’t try a FG unless it’s the last play of the game. If there are 30 seconds to go they have to punt.

LA wouldn’t try to score inside their own 20. Take a knee and call it a game. Just don’t let LV have a shot at a walk off FG.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I feel like when I look at Wentz's stats I'm not getting the whole story.

His statline is actually pretty good, but then the games I've watched it looks like he should have anywhere from an extra 2 to 4 interceptions against him but the defense doesn't catch it for whatever reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad