NFL GDT: Week 18

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That was the most idiotic timeout call of all time. I never seen something so stupid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
NFL made damn sure the raiders kicked that FG to get shittsburgh into the playoffs

How? They missed an obvious personal foul two minutes earlier that could have DOA'ed the Raiders drive if they didn't convert third and long

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everyone is talking about the timeout but once the chargers were in field goal territory they threw the ball twice to stop the clock if they kill the clock and tie it they go to the playoffs that's on them
Staley just want to make the Raiders not want to try a 55 plus yard FG. Leave enough time like 20 seconds for the chargers to do something if they miss. Would force the raiders to punt.

With just 2 TO raiders couldn’t stop LAC from running out the clock.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
How? They missed an obvious personal foul two minutes earlier that could have DOA'ed the Raiders drive if they didn't convert third and long
I'm only half kidding

It's mostly on the chargers for calling that completely unnecessary TO

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Staley just want to make the Raiders not want to try a 55 plus yard FG. Leave enough time like 20 seconds for the chargers to do something if they miss. Would force the raiders to punt.

The only real sense you can make out of that timeout is they just wanted to make sure the clock ran first, and then call it to give their defense an extra few seconds and see what the Raiders had set up offensively.

But calling it to leave a few extra seconds for what, exactly if they had missed a FG? It would have been the all-time cowboy up move if they tried to win the game with thirty seconds and no timeouts left, not needing a win.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Given the history of the Raiders franchise and what values they like to represent as a team...and the pretty bitter rivalry between them and the Chargers..I think they go for the win no matter what. You're not a swaggering raider, pillaging just for fun, to kneel down at the end of a rivalry game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only real sense you can make out of that timeout is they just wanted to make sure the clock ran first, and then call it to give their defense an extra few seconds and see what the Raiders had set up offensively.

But calling it to leave a few extra seconds for what, exactly if they had missed a FG? It would have been the all-time cowboy up move if they tried to win the game with thirty seconds and no timeouts left.
Staley wanted to make sure that there was a consequence for the Raiders trying a missing a long FG.
With a tie getting LV in, Raiders would punt vs try a 55 yard FG with 30 seconds to go. Miss and the chargers have a shot with a deep pass of trying their own long FG.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Given the history of the Raiders franchise and what values they like to represent as a team...and the pretty bitter rivalry between them and the Chargers..I think they go for the win no matter what. You're not a swaggering raider, pillaging just for fun, to kneel down at the end of a rivalry game.

f*** all that. Give me what I want.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I get that but in 2nd 6 and 3rd and 6 the chargers threw it and stopped the clock both times, if they run the ball they kill enough time the raiders can't get in fg range. That's Jason Garrett level clock management

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That play Jacobs got the first down was the moment, not the time out. You stop that play...I don't know Raiders might go for it on 4th down. But that was a big gain

Ben Griebe

Sep 12, 2021
502968.jpg

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not necessarily. 3rd down. Maybe Staley wanted his guys be ready in case they opted to throw the ball.

it was 3rd and 4 from the LAC 39. If jacobs gets nothing I don’t see LV opting to try a 56 yard FG.

what Staley was likely doing was make it so that there was some time left so that LV wouldn’t try a really long FG cause if they missed chargers get the ball at their own 46 with 20 some seconds to go.

They took the timeout inside 40 seconds left. If the Raiders run the ball and get nowhere the clock runs out unless they take another timeout.

I assume he waited until the clock was less than 40 seconds but didn't like his teams setup so called the timeout to try to better his odds of stopping the next play, which if they do, the Raiders likely let the clock run out and they tie.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Staley wanted to make sure that there was a consequence for the Raiders trying a missing a long FG.
With a tie getting LV in, Raiders would punt vs try a 55 yard FG with 30 seconds to go. Miss and the chargers have a shot with a deep pass of trying their own long FG.
Well he made damn sure to eliminate his own team from the playoffs with that ridiculous TO. Coach of the year right there

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
They were trying to win the game, not tie it.

That's a mistake less then 5 minutes left of you run it you either run the clock down kick the field goal to tie at the end, you move the ball and score a touch down to win, or you kill more time then you did and kick the field goal and give the raiders less time and make it less realistic that you lose. It's the better part if you are only concerned about the playoffs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get that but in 2nd 6 and 3rd and 6 the chargers threw it and stopped the clock both times, if they run the ball they kill enough time the raiders can't get in fg range. That's Jason Garrett level clock management
With 5 minutes to go chargers in position to win so he was aggressive in trying to win the game ca a tired D. 19 play drive to end the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad