Post-Game Talk: We won!!!! (A coaches challenge on goalie interference) .. But lost the game... Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What a disaster this one was, made worse by both Tampa and NYI winning.

Safe to say that, after tonight, the game against the Lightning is pretty much a must win. We can't be leaving Florida with 0/4pts.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
part of the problem is Babcock is showing he'll reward failure if he likes you in the case of Hyman (and others) and he'll punish you despite success if he dislikes you. That's a horrible message for the coach to send his players and makes it tough to expect cohesion as a group, and going by results this team has while under pressure shows it not to be working

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
part of the problem is Babcock is showing he'll reward failure if he likes you in the case of Hyman (and others) and he'll punish you despite success if he dislikes you. That's a horrible message for the coach to send his players and makes it tough to expect cohesion as a group, and going by results this team has while under pressure shows it not to be working

you think player(s) would care about the coach if coach is playing favourites instead of playing the best available option(s)?

There should never be a sense of entitlement for the player(s); the moment there is sense of entitlement - the player(s) starts resenting the coach's decisions

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I sure hope they enjoyed their ****ing fishing trip! Tomorrow's trip is to their next bag skate!

If the younger players are tired as some have speculated, how would a bag skate help? It was mentioned on the broadcast by Ferraro as well so I'm not singling you out on this idea, but I do disagree with it.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
The Leafs made the Panthers look like the Harlem Globetrotters out there tonight. We have absolutely zero defence. Reilly included. I swear that I could hear "Sweet Georgia Brown" whistling in my head as I watched the game.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
you think player(s) would care about the coach if coach is playing favourites instead of playing the best available option(s)?

There should never be a sense of entitlement for the player(s); the moment there is sense of entitlement - the player(s) starts resenting the coach's decisions

Agreed, that's basically what I'm saying. If hard work and results from Leivo get him scratched while useless plugs and floaters get ice time, what message does it send to the team? To free agents?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I finally get what Babcock ment when he said pain is coming. The pain comes from having good players scratched (Leivo, Marchenko) for scrubs due to his inept decision making

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If the younger players are tired as some have speculated, how would a bag skate help? It was mentioned on the broadcast by Ferraro as well so I'm not singling you out on this idea, but I do disagree with it.
I'm not sure if I even buy the tired thing too much? Marner doesn't look that tired. Nylander is still trying out there. If they are so darn tired they should have stayed in bed instead of going on a fishing trip :laugh:! I'm sure there is fatigue for guys, guys are dealing with minor injuries and such. But frankly so are the guys they are playing. You still have to show up and be aware when the game starts.

Have to try something else. Clearly the extra rest isn't doing them any good. They can't play any worse than this so might as well throw out the bag skate.

There is fatigue and there is sloppy. You may be right that it won't help. But frankly they have to do something. The coaching staff gave them extra rest and more leeway and if they wanted to keep that going they have to perform. They didn't perform so they should suffer a penalty for it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Failure is strong, especially on Hyman for producing offense in the role he's in. The issue is utilization of that player, which is on the coach I agree. Hyman shouldn't be expected to be a top line winger (especially on his off side).

Alfie

Nov 5, 2016
In the last Leafs Blueprint episode (11) Lou said he has Babcock and Shanahan pulling him back when he was to make a drastic change. I think they know this season was unexpected but they still have a mindset of 4-5 year plan. Playoffs or not they are still a rebuilding team. At the end the fans will be heartbroken due to that 9th place curse but it's still progress.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Agreed, that's basically what I'm saying. If hard work and results from Leivo get him scratched while useless plugs and floaters get ice time, what message does it send to the team? To free agents?

Precisely! If Leivo wasn't putting up numbers and going on long cold streaks then bench his behind or pressbox him.

Leivo gets the message
Team gets the message

- mediocrity will not be tolerated. Either you play hard; you don't play. Period!

Scratching Leivo (and Corrado) in the past was sending a really weird message. If Leivo doesn't draw in the line up for either Hyman or Brown then its a problem. I see no reason for Sosh to sit to be honest.

Also, I seriously cannot fathom the reason why Marincin is playing over Marchenko. I can't recall Marchenko having a bad game - may be a shift or two - here and there but not a complete train wreck kind of game

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Failure is strong, especially on Hyman for producing offense in the role he's in. The issue is utilization of that player, which is on the coach I agree. Hyman shouldn't be expected to be a top line winger (especially on his off side).

Hyman isn't a failure as a player by any means, but he's definitely failing on the Matthews line. There's no excuse for Babcock to not even have tried a change by this point. it's stubbornness to the point of delusion

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One of those bad games for the entire team it happen.
Come back strong Thursday.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
dumb-heart-rip-o.gif

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I've been a Leaf fan since the 1980s and this is the worst group of defensemen they've had in that time frame.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I've been a Leaf fan since the 1980s and this is the worst group of defensemen they've had in that time frame.

And that is saying something. :laugh: Tough loss. Honestly, as a non-Leafs fan (just a spectator due to your ridiculous rookies and Uncle Leo) it's getting really frustrating to see Hyman glued with Matthews. I guess Babs has his reasons.

Almost a must win for you guys against TBL. Go at it and make it happen. I so want to see the miraculous kids in the playoffs in their rookie year! :yo:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
That was just ugly.. But if theres a team to lose to on this trip the Panthers where the ones to lose too, I expect they'll come back against the lighting after not even showing up to tonights game

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Gardiner + 25
Rielly - 25

Yikes!

Yikes is right. I've totally lost any confidence that I ever had with Reilly's defensive abilities. He used to be an explosive skater (Karlsson type) offensive player. That I could live with, but he's not even that anymore. Not sure if Babs has put the leash on him in that regard, but he sure as heck can't play defense. Our defense is beyond a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad