Post-Game Talk: We won!!!! (A coaches challenge on goalie interference) .. But lost the game... Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Goal 1: Freddy was knee down hugging the post as if Huberdeau was going to shoot from that near impossible angle. He then attempted a half-assed poke to intercept the pass, which of course failed miserably. As a goalie, you cannot allow a pass from that distance to go through the crease

Goal 2: Disaster indeed.

Goal 3: Did not fight to see through the screen, and he was too deep in the crease.

He definitely was not the main problem, but he contributed as much as anyone else. That first goal was bad. It was an off game for everyone. It happens.

Goal #1: Yes, Freddy should've attempted to block the cross crease pass. However, Zaitsev (I think it was him) had completely left his man and there should've never been an option for a tap in as he should've been tied up. I'd put this blame at like 50/50

Goal #2: Team "defense" to blame. Players do fall every once in a while, so while it sucks and Zaitsev needed to back off sooner, oh well.

Goal #3: He was trying to fight through the screen, there was 3-4 people between him and the shot. If the Leafs had scored that goal everybody would be saying how well timed the shot was and great screen by our team. He could've saved this, but he was in a fine position and the shot just went under his arm before he could close it off. If that shot comes 1-1/2 a second later after he had poked his head to the right and seen the puck, he would've been over in time.

Andersen definitely wasn't good, but he wasn't that bad either. When you look at those 3 goals and the 2 big saves he made, yet he only had like 10 shots... I think it shows how terrible the team was.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Freddy has stood on his head the past couple weeks, and we've won 3 in a row before last night.. I'm not gonna point fingers and it's not the end of the world... Maybe the ass kicking they'll take literally and come out flying against Tampa who is a much more important team to make sure to get a win against. We still got this.

GLG!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cup 1/2 empty is we lost to a team very unlikely to pass us and steal a playoff spot.

Cup 1/2 full is that beating TB tomorrow would be more beneficial to playoff hopes and Leafs usually have a strong bounce back game after being embarrassed.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Freddy has been great lately.

We got manhandled last night from top to bottom. 70 year old Tom Rowe pants'd Mike Babcock from the start of the game onwards. Even Price or Dubnyk don't win last night in our net.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
No more days off for this team. They're all posting pics on Insta relaxing on the boat and then they come and play like this? Absolute disgrace.

This is the most disgusting game I've watched since last season. I hope the Leafs got it out of their system, they're in a f******** playoff race. At least put in the f****** effort.

That has nothing to do with their effort. It's an excuse people want to use I guess. Fishing, watching TV, going for a walk or dinner isn't going to change you much.

We just have to admit it: We sucked. Got our butts whooped. Got our clock cleaned and launch handed to us.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Leafs were flattered by only giving up 7 in this one. Could have been double digits. Rielly and Zaitsev being on for 4-5 goals each as our top pairing .. Yikes !! :amazed:

The quality scoring chances Panthers had 10-15ft straight down mainstreet uninhibited to bast away only to miss the net.

Florida playing their 4th line Thornton and Co. on PP in the 3rd just rubbed more salt in the wound and showed sympathy to a humbled opponent on this night.

A Leafs win could have put the Panthers season on ice, but now with only 5 points gap they feel they have playoff life still.

I don't think it's about rubbing salt on the wound, but more of a respect between coaches, and understanding that these two teams will play each other again over the years. It's just not about being 5 points back - the Panthers need to pass the Isles and TB also to make it in - they were just simply more desperate than the Leafs.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It was far from pretty. The Toronto Maple Leafs were outplayed and outworked by the Florida Panthers, en route to a 7-2 rout in the first night of its southern swing.

Coming into Florida, the Leafs have carried a deceiving 3-2-2 record in their last 8 games. Toronto was exposed on its California swing, looking sluggish against top Western Conference opponents, and just barely hanging on for wins against terrible teams in Detroit (especially) and Philadelphia. It’s not good enough.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/03/16/toronto-maple-leafs-defensive-breakdowns-costing/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad