"We need to go back at winning games 1-0, 2-1. 3-2 max" - Josh Gorges

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
In a mock draft on here I just traded Gorges to the Islanders for Bailey and a 2nd, the guy actually really wanted him

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Valuable how? Will you bring up his shot blocking abilities again? His ability to rock a speedo? Every player on this team is valuable, if you want to get all picky about it.

Best penalty killer on the team is a good start. He's on for more goals for and less goals against. He leads the league in blocked shots. He's a leader in the room whether you like it or not. He has a great salary.

The fact that you argue he isn't valuable is a joke.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gorges has been a very vocal player in the locker room, but hasn't delivered on the ice.

He's more of a blatherer than a leader. His face is trance-like, as he's talking to no one in particular, usually staring toward the floor.

It's funny to hear what he says, it's like a muted rallying cry -- it's constantly juxtaposed against a huge backdrop of noise from teammates handling equipment and other ambient dressing room sounds. There is a certain awkwardness when you see teammates looking away, joking around with others, not paying any attention to his whining directives.

He's basically talking to himself. His speeches sound all the more hollow, when his words of wisdom are being pronounced during an intermission that follows a period where he's had bad shifts and caused opposition chances.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Never said I needed people to validate my opinions. You wanted to give gorges the C. That was a silly suggestion.

When did I say he should be captain? Please quote me.

Classic hockeyfan2k11 making things up to support his point.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
What I got is that they have to be much better on defence and lower their GA, and some people here all they see is Gorges being dumb. What the **** guys.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
What I got is that they have to be much better on defence and lower their GA, and some people here all they see is Gorges being dumb. What the **** guys.

Exactly. People are just desperate to hate on whoever they can because the Habs suck now.

This whole board is full of overreactions.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
OMG you guys are insane. So many stupid and personal attacks....

fk off

146509-josh-gorges-pris-part-seance.jpg

Here we go again, more shot blocking hysteria when we talk about Gorges.

HE BLOCKS SHOTS! EVEN WITH HIS HEAD!
\
eADrV.gif

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Agreed.

Gorges' may be a little annoying in the few seconds we see of him on 24CH with his cheerleading in the locker room, but he's a solid player and is saying the team needs to allow less goals. I have no problem with him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

"The most important thing is to focus on defending first. If we can play tight defensively, give teams nothing, clog up the middle, force them on the outsides, force teams to turn pucks over and have to chip pucks in and all those sorts of things, we'll create our opportunities"

Exact quote from Gorges.

How is focusing how defense first will resolve our problems exactly? We have scored a big whopping 2 goals over the last three games. Thinking that "clogging up the middle" will lead to us scoring goals is wishful thinking. Again, we might steal some games just like we did at the beginning of the season, but in the end, constantly having to play that way to get the 2 points is the reason why we're a bubble playoff team, and nothing more.

I'll say it again. The Habs issues lie deeper than the simple "play defense, block more shots" mentra. Our philosophy on how to play hockey is broken, and we need a shake-up to get back on top of things and be a winning team in the long run. Getting those tight wins might get us in the playoffs, but it won't get us to the Stanley cup.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Dealing Gorges, now or offseason, isn't a bad idea. He's the best trading chip Bergevin has to find an upgrade in the top six on Gionta for next year. Then, re-sign Markov to be the vet on LD using Gionta's cash.

Gorges is all heart but his skills are very replaceable, and his lack of size hurts the team by not having someone meaner and bigger in his shutdown role. Tinordi will be the shotblocking bottom pairing D in Gorges role, for less cost over the next few seasons too and physically intimidating at 6'6.

Gorges has decent value though, especially to team looking to go on a playoff run. Bergevin could add a really good piece to the team using his depth at LD, without having to gamble on giving up a young player (Beaulieu) or losing a better player than Gorges (Markov) to make room. You have to figure both Markov and Gorges have at most a 2-3 year shelf life with this team and I think Markov will remain more useful during that time.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
"The most important thing is to focus on defending first. If we can play tight defensively, give teams nothing, clog up the middle, force them on the outsides, force teams to turn pucks over and have to chip pucks in and all those sorts of things, we'll create our opportunities"

Exact quote from Gorges.

How is focusing how defense first will resolve our problems exactly? We have scored a big whopping 2 goals over the last three games. Thinking that "clogging up the middle" will lead to us scoring goals is wishful thinking. Again, we might steal some games just like we did at the beginning of the season, but in the end, constantly having to play that way to get the 2 points is the reason why we're a bubble playoff team, and nothing more.

I'll say it again. The Habs issues lie deeper than the simple "play defense, block more shots" mentra. Our philosophy on how to play hockey is broken, and we need a shake-up to get back on top of things and be a winning team in the long run. Getting those tight wins might get us in the playoffs, but it won't get us to the Stanley cup.

Offense can be created through effective defense. The best offense is, in fact, a good defense. Improving that area can help in other areas as well.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Offense can be created through effective defense. The best offense is, in fact, a good defense. Improving that area can help in other areas as well.

I'm not even alluding to offense versus defense. I'm talking about controlling the play. When you block shots in front of the net, it means you don't have control of the puck. When you clog up the middle, it means you don't have control of the puck and the other team is putting pressure.

When YOU control the puck, you can control the flow of the game.

Some of you need to stop lying to yourselves and look at this team with a cold eye. What do Chicago, Pittsburgh, St-Louis, Anaheim, Boston and San José have in common?

Unless your big plan is to repeat the failure of the last decade, sure, aiming for that defense-first, shot-blocking, anemic offense is a good plan. If not, you have to take the first step forward at some point. Price, Subban and Pacioretty approaching/being in their prime should be what triggers that first step.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm not even alluding to offense versus defense. I'm talking about controlling the play. When you block shots in front of the net, it means you don't have control of the puck. When you clog up the middle, it means you don't have control of the puck and the other team is putting pressure.

When YOU control the puck, you can control the flow of the game.

Some of you need to stop lying to yourself and look at this team with a cold eye. What do Chicago, Pittsburgh, St-Louis, Anaheim, Boston and San José have in common?

Being able to transition out of their own zone effectively?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Best penalty killer on the team is a good start. He's on for more goals for and less goals against. He leads the league in blocked shots. He's a leader in the room whether you like it or not. He has a great salary.

The fact that you argue he isn't valuable is a joke.

No, he's overpaid, constantly flopping on the ice instead of clearing the zone. He's constantly getting in Price's way. He can't clear the crease, nor can he make any plays in the offensive zone. He isn't physical, and he turns the puck over an awful lot.

For some reason you find 4 million a year for an blueliner who lacks an awful of skills, a 'great salary'. You should set your goals a little higher when it comes to player expectations, or you are just drinking the same Kool Aid as management.

Try taking a drink every time Gorges dumps the puck into the corner in the offensive zone. Try taking a drink every time Gorges is face down on the ice, instead of taking the body in the defensive zone, because he is 'attempting a blocked shot'. Have fun in rehab.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
No, he's overpaid, constantly flopping on the ice instead of clearing the zone. He's constantly getting in Price's way. He can't clear the crease, nor can he make any plays in the offensive zone. He isn't physical, and he turns the puck over an awful lot.

For some reason you find 4 million a year for an blueliner who lacks an awful of skills, a 'great salary'. You should set your goals a little higher when it comes to player expectations, or you are just drinking the same Kool Aid as management.

Try taking a drink every time Gorges dumps the puck into the corner in the offensive zone. Try taking a drink every time Gorges is face down on the ice, instead of taking the body in the defensive zone, because he is 'attempting a blocked shot'. Have fun in rehab.

Alright, keep convincing yourself that $4M is a bad contract, especially considering the cap going up. But reality states that a player who is on for more goals for and less goals against is a good thing. Now consider the fact he is our top penalty killer and the best shot blocker in the league (and yes, shot blocking is an important skill, especially on the penalty kill) and $4M is excellent.

If you are seriously convinced that $4M hurts this team in any way, I think you may need a reality check.

PunkinDrublic*

Nope, i guess you missed it when players and Coach told RDS that the best defense is a good offense. ( only 2 weeks ago )

Confuses the **** out of fans. Because the GM says the opposite. What a cluster****.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I know it's fully deserved.
But the difference between HF this year and HF last year regarding Gorges and his 'future' captaincy is night and day.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
What do you guys want him to say. This is just getting ridiculous. We want to win games 6-2 because we can do that?

He's simply stating the truth, we are not the Pens are Hawks.. We can't and not good enough to blow out other team everything we want too. He basically say that if we want to win, it's gonna be tight hockey and good defense... because THAT'S THE ONLY WAY FOR US TO WIN.

But go ahead, trash Gorges, you guys are really cool. He should say we have so many good offensive players and should play an open game. We have tons of TALENT and Goal-scorer here. Anyways, even if I don't want him to be our next captain anymore, I don't hate him like you guys do for no reason. He still a warrior to me, that always put the team first but apparently, that's a bad thing now.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What do you guys want him to say. This is just getting ridiculous. We want to win games 6-2 because we can do that?

He's simply stating the truth, we are not the Pens are Hawks.. We can't and not good enough to blow out other team everything we want too. He basically say that if we want to win, it's gonna be tight hockey and good defense... because THAT'S THE ONLY WAY FOR US TO WIN.

But go ahead, trash Gorges, you guys are really cool. He should say we have so many good offensive players and should play an open game. We have tons of TALENT and Goal-scorer here. Anyways, even if I don't want him to be our next captain anymore, I don't hate him like you guys do for no reason. He still a warrior to me, that always put the team first but apparently, that's a bad thing now.

You really failed hard at grasping my point, if that was supposed to be directed at me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00