"We need to go back at winning games 1-0, 2-1. 3-2 max" - Josh Gorges

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Paraphrasing what I read in the newspaper this morning.

If that's the kind of mentality Therrien is trying to implement in this team, one shouldn't be surprised by how anemic our offense has been, or how held back a guy like Subban seems to be.

While this comes from the absolute most defensive defenseman on the team and may not be a shared opinion around the locker-room, that really leads me to question the direction this team wants to take.

Basically, Gorges is saying Price has to stand on his head Every. Single. Night. or else the team has no chances to win.

The irony is that you hear Therrien, Pacioretty, Desharnais and cie come out and say "offense is the best defense" during interviews, but just how much of that philosophy do players abide to?

Every single top teams in this league are from good to powerhouses offensively, the only exception being the LA Kings. What are the odds for us to reproduce what the LA Kings do? We have the goalie it takes, but not nearly the two-way offensive depth nor the defensive game to match that kind of efficiency. And even then, they score slightly more goals than us.

The point of this thread isn't really to bash Therrien, but more to ask what kind of direction do we want to take with the team in the future. I think we have to look at our assets and make the best out of it by adjusting our play style to their strength. We have two of the best PMDs in the league, a winger with 40 goals potential and a young forward that could become one of the best center in the league. Therrien was sacked in Pittsburgh partly because he was forcing defensive assignments too hard on his star forwards and was neutralizing their offensive potential. You don't force Crosby or Malkin to play "smart" (even though they do most of the time) when they can give you 120 points a year.

Why go against the grain and force a defensive culture that generally requires a big, strong, hardy team when we should strive for a high paced, puck possession play-style?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
They won games like that last year and Price rarely had to stand on his head. What happened to always scoring 3 goals though, Therrien preached that all season long last year.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Basically, Gorges is saying Price has to stand on his head Every. Single. Night. or else the team has no chances to win.

That's really what you got out of that? Seems to be like he's saying this team needs to play better defensively to a man.

It's the exact same roster we had at the beginning of the year when we were doing just that (well, minus Galchenyuk but I really don't think he made a huge difference). There's no reason why we can't get back to playing those kinds of games. Price wasn't standing on his head either at the beginning of the year. He was playing very well, but we were playing reasonably well defensively in front of him too. That's gone completely out the window the past few weeks.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
It will come to the point that big changes will be unavoidable. There's just too many problems with this team, starting with the mentality of our leaders, which doesn't suit the way the team is built/assembled. Important pieces are starting to be affected by that mentality and quite frankly I'm scared.

(by mentality, I mostly mean the usage MT does of his players)

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's really what you got out of that? Seems to be like he's saying this team needs to play better defensively to a man.

It's the exact same roster we had at the beginning of the year when we were doing just that (well, minus Galchenyuk but I really don't think he made a huge difference). There's no reason why we can't get back to playing those kinds of games. Price wasn't standing on his head either at the beginning of the year. He was playing very well, but we were playing reasonably well defensively in front of him too. That's gone completely out the window the past few weeks.
Most games we were mediocre at best. That D wasn't really great in front of him.

And it totally ignores the lack of scoring too. At the start of the year we were putting up goals yes... but it came mostly from the PP. Now that this has dried up we're sitting here with our 29th in 5 on 5 offense wondering why we can't seem to score. A defensive system is not the solution with the group we have.

And yes our D is crumbling.... why are we playing Murray? Why are we benching Diaz? Diaz has been out for four or five games now and they've been some of the worst games we've played all year.

Gorges should talk less and play better hockey.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Ya Josh, that type of hockey has won us so many hockey games in recent years :shakehead

did ok with it earlier this season. I think what he was trying to say is that they need to play some defense, and reduce the scoring opportunities against. Would you have rather said 'we need to win 7-3, 8-4'? Is it really that difficult to understand what he meant? They were most successful when they played structured 5 man defensive hockey. Yes a strong, aggressive forecheck is important, but it starts with good D.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Most games we were mediocre at best. That D wasn't really great in front of him.

And it totally ignores the lack of scoring too. At the start of the year we were putting up goals yes... but it came mostly from the PP. Now that this has dried up we're sitting here with our 29th in 5 on 5 offense wondering why we can't seem to score. A defensive system is not the solution with the group we have.

And yes our D is crumbling.... why are we playing Murray? Why are we benching Diaz? Diaz has been out for four or five games now and they've been some of the worst games we've played all year.

Gorges should talk less and play better hockey.

Exactly why he said that they need to play defense. The lack of scoring can be mitigated, at least in part, with stingy defense. It isn't the offense that has led them to this slump, it is the turnovers and generally leaky defense, and not just by the d-men, but the whole unit

PunkinDrublic*

He is just repeating what his own ****in GM said live on RDS last week. Forget Therrien who is MB's puppet. He said he wants the Habs to be a low scoring type team. I'm lost, because that is NOT the type of team the Habs have.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
We need to go back to being a good team at 5 on 5. It was our bread and butter last year along our aggressive philosophy on the puck carrier that made our team so dominant in the first 30 games. I'd be curious to see our record with and without Diaz because I think our main issue right now is our transition. We simply can't have Gorges, Bouillon and Murray playing all at the same time. It hurts the transition and in the offensive zone we all know they won't do ****. Last year I recall our defense being one of the best in the league in terms of points contribution. Aside from PK and Markov, this is not the case this year. Emelin, Beaulieu and Diaz can help contribute.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Wow Gorges really is the new whipping boy.

You guys really shouldn't worry about what the players are saying to the media. Most of the important talk is held in the locker room where only the players and staff are present.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
did ok with it earlier this season. I think what he was trying to say is that they need to play some defense, and reduce the scoring opportunities against. Would you have rather said 'we need to win 7-3, 8-4'? Is it really that difficult to understand what he meant? They were most successful when they played structured 5 man defensive hockey. Yes a strong, aggressive forecheck is important, but it starts with good D.
I think problem is habs are not proactive and seem to think that no one adapts or needs to adapt and just need to do the same thing "better". In a game where video reviewing is king and being able to do that properly allows you do adapt to different teams strategies and counter those srats. Which almost all teams have vs the habs at this point in the season and playing vs habs has become predictable and easy. No surprise if MT gets outmatched by rookie Kirk, since I'm sure he took necessary steps to try and neutralize the habs. Which is something I doubt MT did (properly)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Exactly why he said that they need to play defense. The lack of scoring can be mitigated, at least in part, with stingy defense. It isn't the offense that has led them to this slump, it is the turnovers and generally leaky defense, and not just by the d-men, but the whole unit

Playing Murray for 18 minutes is surely going to help us. I also heard Parros will probably be back tonight. I'm sure he's going to help our offense as well.

Do you see any type of structure in our game?? We are playing the exact same way we played under RC, except we have a better team.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

You guys really shouldn't worry about what the players are saying to the media. Most of the important talk is held in the locker room where only the players and staff are present.

Gorges in the locker room though.... Let's go boys!!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I know he means well and I love that he took in Gallagher despite having a girlfriend, but man can Josh be annoying.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Gorges has been a very vocal player in the locker room, but hasn't delivered on the ice.

Murray and Gorges were guys that stood up to talk a lot in that ''meeting'' after the game Saturday. Let's see how great they play tonight.

Gorges showed how stupid he was when he made those comments during the lockout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad