"We need to go back at winning games 1-0, 2-1. 3-2 max" - Josh Gorges

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I'm not even alluding to offense versus defense. I'm talking about controlling the play. When you block shots in front of the net, it means you don't have control of the puck. When you clog up the middle, it means you don't have control of the puck and the other team is putting pressure.

When YOU control the puck, you can control the flow of the game.

Some of you need to stop lying to yourselves and look at this team with a cold eye. What do Chicago, Pittsburgh, St-Louis, Anaheim, Boston and San José have in common?

Unless your big plan is to repeat the failure of the last decade, sure, aiming for that defense-first, shot-blocking, anemic offense is a good plan. If not, you have to take the first step forward at some point. Price, Subban and Pacioretty approaching/being in their prime should be what triggers that first step.

I would say talent. Yep. Transition helps blabla.. but it starts with talent.. We don't have much of that. Except Chuckie and that has real talent/skill, the rest not so much. Pacioretty is a sniper and thats about it, Plekanec is a good overall player. Briere is not bad in term of talent but he's too old now.

HABS win CUPS*

He's simply stating the truth, we are not the Pens are Hawks.. We can't and not good enough to blow out other team everything we want too. He basically say that if we want to win, it's gonna be tight hockey and good defense... because THAT'S THE ONLY WAY FOR US TO WIN.

ok well when does the tight hockey good defense and wins start happening?

headscratch.gif

I wasnt really attacking Gorges tho but him as C is ridic

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I know it's fully deserved.
But the difference between HF this year and HF last year regarding Gorges and his 'future' captaincy is night and day.

Hes been acting like a self entitled ***** since the lockout, someone must have mentioned to him that he was the frontrunner for captaincy because for all the talk of subban's ego I think gorges has an even bigger ego than him.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I've been really disliking Gorges on/off the ice.
(can't stand the same angry look he has and can't stand the same thing he says over and over and over ''this is a team game and we need to play as a team''...and in reference to PK Subban...''this is about the team, not one individual''...instead of simply welcoming Subban back, you know...the dman that makes Gorges look like a novice dman).

But...

We were all loving that 2-1 victory VS Chicago, no?
(I did!).

We were all loving that 2-1 victory VS the Bruins, no?

P.S.: Pacioretty can still score in a defensive system. Same with Eller, but I think this team is disagreeing with each other (not only coach)...Pacioretty and Eller want offense-first (jsut hear Eller say on TV ''best defense is offense)...Gorges wants defense-first system. They're not on the same page...maybe.
(I'm all for an offensive system, but our dmen are playing like crap...how can we win if we let in 4-5 goals during recent games, so...imo we might have a better chance to win 3-2, 2-1 VS 5-3, 6-4, no?.... in the end I want our Habs to find a system that consistently works, not winning 2-1 just to lose the next game 5-0...).

HABS win CUPS*

call me nuts I think our best captain prospects on the team would be

Plekanec
Subban
Gallagher (only hesitate because he's so young but EXACT type of player you want firing the guys up) he shows up to play win/lose
Price (if still allowed)

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Hes been acting like a self entitled ***** since the lockout, someone must have mentioned to him that he was the frontrunner for captaincy because for all the talk of subban's ego I think gorges has an even bigger ego than him.

Yeah, and Gorges is also a novice dman compared to Subban.
One is ultra amazing at defense and offense, the other has been crap since his contract, yet ...he keeps on yapping and yapping and in such a bitter/angry way.

To Gorges:
shut the **** up and start earning that fat/overpaid $3.9mil/year contract, or...get the **** out of the NHL (quit) and get a crappy 9-to-5 job instead where you will be way more bitter/angry than you are now.

Ever since Gorges has signed that $3.9mil/year contract...he has developed a HUUUUUUGE ANGRY/BITTER EGO.
(and worse...he has played like an average #5-6 dman).

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
call me nuts I think our best captain prospects on the team would be

Plekanec
Subban
Gallagher (only hesitate because he's so young but EXACT type of player you want firing the guys up) he shows up to play win/lose
Price (if still allowed)

Giving Subban the C with a 8-9M/year contract would probably end up badly.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Josh Gorges is only repeating what is being told to them by the coaches.
Trap win 1-0/ trap win 2-1/ trap and win down 3-1 ..lol

So if there was a coach of the Habs who believed in trying to bolt other teams into the ground 6-2 5-1 4-0 he'd be sayin that also....So don't be hating on Josh.

He is telling you what the battle plan of this coaching staff is..What there preaching to the players .....the same hockey that caused empty seats in Bell Centre.....and then a coach fired all with in 192 games.

10,000 empty seats the other night .....keep watching.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Crap Gorges has become the coach's little dog.

You're completly wrong Gorges, the Habs needs to go back playing all forecheck and offense like last year.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
ok well when does the tight hockey good defense and wins start happening?

headscratch.gif

I wasnt really attacking Gorges tho but him as C is ridic

We won most of our game by 1 goal game since the beginning of the season and I think that's his point. He knows it, we all know it, we don't have a team that has a lot of fire power offensively, that's why if we want to win game, it's gonna be the tight, lower scoring game. It is it the best way to win? Absolutely not. But our team sucks. The only way to win is playing tight defense, wishing Price to steal game and count on the powerplay. It's been like this for years.

This thread is not about Gorges being the next captain or not. Even I don't want him to be our next captain because his games is obviously decreasing and he will get killed by the media and fans if he's the next captain and play like he is now. That being said, I don't hate the guy like many here. Everything out of his mouth sound like **** to them. I'm pretty sure if he says we want to win the cup, he will get bash on. Seriously, even when he says thing like TEAM always comes first, he gets shat. It's just ridiculous. I won't hate a player that is dedicated for his team. That's why I don't hate Gionta or Plekanec or Koivu. These guys are professionals and they all try to do their best to make the team wins. Gorges had always been extremely limited talent wise but his competitiveness make him valuable. This year, he just seems too weak. NOt that he was strong before but he was.. effective. So i wouldn't have any problem at all if we trade him while he still have a good rep. and value in the league but then again, I just can't hate the guys like most guys do here (maybe not you but from what I see, there's a propaganda against Gorges and we should all hate him to be cool).

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I feel like Gorges is a fake leader. He wants to be the leader of the team but he simply doesn't have the chops to pull it off. Seems like a lot of roar but no bite.

For some reason I have always pictured him as part of the problem. Like, behind closed doors he is the guy whispering in the corner about team mates because he feels threatened that they may surpass him on the "captain" chart. I base this on very little but a gut feeling though.

IMO, to be a good leader, you have to be good at what you do. Josh Gorges is mediocre dman that has been misused here because Subban elevated his game for a short stint. He's a number 5, not a number 2 or 3.

People don't listen to guys who can't play when they speak. Gorges words likely fall on deaf ears.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Crap Gorges has become the coach's little dog.

You're completly wrong Gorges, the Habs needs to go back playing all forecheck and offense like last year.

You think any player is goona come out and GO AGAINST WHAT HIS COACH IS PREACHNG? to the media ?If you could catch these players off the record ,you'd get real truth.

Oh ya,imagine Therrien preaching to them win 1-0/ 2-1 which he is because that is the game plan,then Josh comes out and says i think we need to start trying to win 5-0 /4-1 ....yeah like that's goona happen.....

The fact is Josh could be wanting to be playing a MORE AGGRESSIVE STYLE,but he isn't coming out in the media to rock the boat and go against the COACHES.

What he said,get back to winning 1-0 2-1 is what there being ASKED TO DO !!!

Josh has no say in the matter.

Josh is confirming to the fans, the Jacques Martin system that lasted 192 games, is still alive under a different face.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Really beating up ol' Joshie because he was brought up the old fashioned way..what a jerk. He gets asked a question, he answers it the way he should, Bleeping fans will whine over anything when the team is losing.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This thread would've been good enough with "Habs need to start winning…." as a heading ;)

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I would say talent. Yep. Transition helps blabla.. but it starts with talent.. We don't have much of that. Except Chuckie and that has real talent/skill, the rest not so much. Pacioretty is a sniper and thats about it, Plekanec is a good overall player. Briere is not bad in term of talent but he's too old now.

The coaching staff has one of the most talented players in the league in Subban. Since November his on-ice effectiveness has cratered.

For that matter they were one of the best 5 on 5 scoring teams last season with almost exactly the same lineup when they roled three competent scoring lines.

Before anything else, changes made in November this season should be looked at, because that's when things went to the pits.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Hating Gorges play the last year or so is fine but hating Gorges the player is going too far I think, but with that said, what Gorges said during Subban's contract negotiations was cringe worthy and frankly despicable. I don't care whether it was Subban or Murray in that situation, Gorges had no right (right or wrong) to rag on him. And that started my free fall liking of Gorges. I really did used to like Gorges a lot but since then, everything coming out of his mouth seems to come out as if he was a robot without owning up to any of his own failings. He just isn't captaincy material in my mind...at least not a good one in any case. I want someone who would own up to their failures without hesitation, and also tell it like it is. In that sense, Subban fits that mold, though I think I would rather have someone else shoulder the load. Gorges has just been annoying lately. Doesn't help that his play has been rather poor lately.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
defenside d-man preaching for tighter defense ?

who would have thought ? :amazed:

For all the "we don't enough talent" posts... We just saw Bourque and Gorges control the puck in the offensive zone after a swift transition, made a PASSING play and opened up the space for Prust to score.

Who would have known NHL players had the ability to make tape to tape passes?

HABS win CUPS*

We won most of our game by 1 goal game since the beginning of the season and I think that's his point. He knows it, we all know it, we don't have a team that has a lot of fire power offensively, that's why if we want to win game, it's gonna be the tight, lower scoring game. It is it the best way to win? Absolutely not. But our team sucks. The only way to win is playing tight defense, wishing Price to steal game and count on the powerplay. It's been like this for years.

This thread is not about Gorges being the next captain or not. Even I don't want him to be our next captain because his games is obviously decreasing and he will get killed by the media and fans if he's the next captain and play like he is now. That being said, I don't hate the guy like many here. Everything out of his mouth sound like **** to them. I'm pretty sure if he says we want to win the cup, he will get bash on. Seriously, even when he says thing like TEAM always comes first, he gets shat. It's just ridiculous. I won't hate a player that is dedicated for his team. That's why I don't hate Gionta or Plekanec or Koivu. These guys are professionals and they all try to do their best to make the team wins. Gorges had always been extremely limited talent wise but his competitiveness make him valuable. This year, he just seems too weak. NOt that he was strong before but he was.. effective. So i wouldn't have any problem at all if we trade him while he still have a good rep. and value in the league but then again, I just can't hate the guys like most guys do here (maybe not you but from what I see, there's a propaganda against Gorges and we should all hate him to be cool).

oh i agree i think the less that changes the better in a way things could get wayyyyy worse EASY id say give Therrien more time and Bergevin we cant keep turning over management staff

we need to make real decisions with the UFA's that surround our core group coming up and some upgrades are MANDATORY

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Ohh just shut up Gorges! He's freaking annoying and it's about damn time that some people are finally starting to notice the fraud that he is...

I've been saying this for years that he's a overrated pos puppet that says the right things in front of the camera just so he can earn the admiration of the fans.

This guy really believe his own hype, someone should slap him and bring him back to reality.

Hope he gets traded soon...

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Josh Gorges wants a team that is small up front, has a hard time scoring goals 5-on-5 and doesn't play much of a physical game to play much better defensively and win tight games?

My God, r u dumb Gorges?

I don't see a problem with what he said. He wants the entire team, himself included to go back to playing very tight, suffocating defense and winning games like ones they had against Chicago and Boston this year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Really beating up ol' Joshie because he was brought up the old fashioned way..what a jerk. He gets asked a question, he answers it the way he should, Bleeping fans will whine over anything when the team is losing.

I'm absolutely staggered by the amount of people that didn't get the essence of this thread. In no way was I going directly after Gorges, nor is it about finding reasons to "whine".

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Geez, threads like these make me really want Gorges as captain just to see the board blow up...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad