"We need to go back at winning games 1-0, 2-1. 3-2 max" - Josh Gorges

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I feel like Gorges is a fake leader. He wants to be the leader of the team but he simply doesn't have the chops to pull it off. Seems like a lot of roar but no bite.

For some reason I have always pictured him as part of the problem. Like, behind closed doors he is the guy whispering in the corner about team mates because he feels threatened that they may surpass him on the "captain" chart. I base this on very little but a gut feeling though.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I feel like Gorges is a fake leader. He wants to be the leader of the team but he simply doesn't have the chops to pull it off. Seems like a lot of roar but no bite.

For some reason I have always pictured him as part of the problem. Like, behind closed doors he is the guy whispering in the corner about team mates because he feels threatened that they may surpass him on the "captain" chart. I base this on very little but a gut feeling though.

Him and Gionta need to be let go and give new leadership to the team. Give Price, PK and Pacioretty that responsibility and move forward with those guys while blending in Gallagher and Galchenyuk. That's our future

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that gorges has to be one of the most annoying clichés spitting tool of a player to ever play for the habs....

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Wow. I gotta say, I used to like Gorges, but for the past year his play has mediocre at best. We can do better!

As for his quote - you gotta actually SCORE a goal to win the bloody game! MORON!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Playing Murray for 18 minutes is surely going to help us. I also heard Parros will probably be back tonight. I'm sure he's going to help our offense as well.

Do you see any type of structure in our game?? We are playing the exact same way we played under RC, except we have a better team.

Zero structure in our own zone, yet Therrien seems to believe the problem is his pairings rather than the non existent defensive coverage.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
That style only wears us out. Im all for defense but itd be easier to adapt an actual possession system and be able to score, while giving up less because you have the puck.

We aren't a grinding team, and I will not accept it.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Gorges has been a very vocal player in the locker room, but hasn't delivered on the ice.

Murray and Gorges were guys that stood up to talk a lot in that ''meeting'' after the game Saturday. Let's see how great they play tonight.

Gorges showed how stupid he was when he made those comments during the lockout.

He hasn't delivered on the ice but I'm sure he takes part of the blame for the team's struggles. It's not as if he went around saying that everyone is at fault except him.

There's no point in criticizing him for what he says to the media when we (the fans) are missing what is actually said behind closed doors.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
What happened to always scoring 3 goals though, Therrien preached that all season long last year.

That fell out of the window when they were blowing 3-0 leads :laugh:

This. :laugh: When I hear the players on this team thinking that they have a chance of sitting back like a wall and letting the bigger and better teams just crash against it endlessly like waves... Might as well waste your breath on a "courage in the face of adversity" speech before sending a 5 year old child back outside to face a 12 year old bully.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Not what the Gorges bashers want to hear, but the punching bag is exactly correct. This team, especially minus Chucky, is not talented enough to try to outgun most teams...they need to tighten up defensively because in the last three weeks it has been breakdown after breakdown.

Therrien is getting roasted like nobody's business, and a lot of it is justified, but when you look at this roster and this team...for this bunch to be sitting in the top six in the conference is frankly an overachievement. No legitimate number one offensive center, one productive winger with size, on all star defenceman that can slump defensively, and a goalie who can be one of the league's best and worst all within the same month.

A number two dman who can no longer skate, a top four dman still recuperating from a serious injury, slumping younger players like Gally, Eller and Bournival, slumping vets like Bourque, Gionta Briere.

I am not a Therrien backer by any means, but based on record, roster and reality, Therrien's coaching record this season is at least adequate

. The biggest issue with Therrien is that he's been a hardass this season...old Michel has creeped back, and he may have lost the players. To his credit, he's taking it the right way..not losing it and exploding on them right now..he knows he can't pull a Pittsburgh and lose it on the team in the media.

All signs point to Bergy finishing the season with MT unless they keep losing like they did to the Caps, so I hope things can get turned around, but the more I've watched this team..I just don't think it's good enough to do much damage this season.

I don't understand the complaints about not letting this team go for it offensively a la the Oilers...this team would be last overall if it attempted to play that style..

Just who besides Patch is going to "outgun" anyone? The only way this team is effective is when it's playing a defensive style..we don't have the size to try to be forechecking demons who push the offence...not yet.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Why does he add the word "max" at the end ? That word is the key in that phrase.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Not what the Gorges bashers want to hear, but the punching bag is exactly correct. This team, especially minus Chucky, is not talented enough to try to outgun most teams...they need to tighten up defensively because in the last three weeks it has been breakdown after breakdown.

Therrien is getting roasted like nobody's business, and a lot of it is justified, but when you look at this roster and this team...for this bunch to be sitting in the top six in the conference is frankly an overachievement. No legitimate number one offensive center, one productive winger with size, on all star defenceman that can slump defensively, and a goalie who can be one of the league's best and worst all within the same month.

A number two dman who can no longer skate, a top four dman still recuperating from a serious injury, slumping younger players like Gally, Eller and Bournival, slumping vets like Bourque, Gionta Briere.

I am not a Therrien backer by any means, but based on record, roster and reality, Therrien's coaching record this season is at least adequate

. The biggest issue with Therrien is that he's been a hardass this season...old Michel has creeped back, and he may have lost the players. To his credit, he's taking it the right way..not losing it and exploding on them right now..he knows he can't pull a Pittsburgh and lose it on the team in the media.

All signs point to Bergy finishing the season with MT unless they keep losing like they did to the Caps, so I hope things can get turned around, but the more I've watched this team..I just don't think it's good enough to do much damage this season.

I don't understand the complaints about not letting this team go for it offensively a la the Oilers...this team would be last overall if it attempted to play that style..

Just who besides Patch is going to "outgun" anyone? The only way this team is effective is when it's playing a defensive style..we don't have the size to try to be forechecking demons who push the offence...not yet.

...but why not try to play a style of hockey more suited for the lineup we have, a la speed & transistion, instead of a dump & chase grind that doesn't at all suit the ability (or the size) of said lineup??...I get what you're saying, Grant, but we've been successful with a hard forecheck and using our speed/transition game in the recent past...we're not built for a "slow it down & grind it out" style...Galchenyuk out hurts, but it shouldn't change that we are not a grind team so why try to play a grind game...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

This team may not be Chicago but we should be getting more than what we are.

Eller and Gallagher are basically being wasted. Subban has a leash on him. Bouillion's on the PP.

Like I've said for a while now, the club has holes and is far from perfect, but there's absolutely no way it's the 29th best offense in the league.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Exactly why he said that they need to play defense. The lack of scoring can be mitigated, at least in part, with stingy defense. It isn't the offense that has led them to this slump, it is the turnovers and generally leaky defense, and not just by the d-men, but the whole unit
Even in the games where we played well defensively we got next to no offense generated. MT has mitigated any offensive creativity this team had. Even Subban is a shadow of his former self...

It happened in Pittsburgh and it's happening here.

The best defense is a strong offense. Keep the puck in your opponent's zone as much as you can. And for the love of God stop playing Murray over Diaz.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Subban spits out the same cliche's and he needs to be made into a better person and is widely hated by everyone around the league.

Gorges spits out this ridiculous BS and throws teammates under the bus and he's a "leader."

Get this clown out of town, he brings nothing to the table that can't be replaced. He literally turns the puck over and blocks shots because of it. Seriously, he blocks so many shots because he cannot transition the puck, not because he's a warrior and good defensively.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
They won games like that last year and Price rarely had to stand on his head. What happened to always scoring 3 goals though, Therrien preached that all season long last year.

I've always thought that, ALWAYS.

Score three goals a game - increase your chance of winning dramatically!

And if you lose?

At least the fans had something to cheer about during the game.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Subban spits out the same cliche's and he needs to be made into a better person and is widely hated by everyone around the league.

Gorges spits out this ridiculous BS and throws teammates under the bus and he's a "leader."

Get this clown out of town, he brings nothing to the table that can't be replaced. He literally turns the puck over and blocks shots because of it. Seriously, he blocks so many shots because he cannot transition the puck, not because he's a warrior and good defensively.

He also dumps it along the boards sometimes, I mean every time.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Winning games 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 .... who are they kidding ... at this point I'll be happy if we lose a game 3-1 just so we could say we didn't get blown out.

Also ... if they've been trying to win by different types of scores they going to have to actually find a way to sustain offence.... 1 goal per game doesn't somehow to equate to them being firewagon hockey.

Last edited:

HABS win CUPS*

seriously fire anyone on the team who even admits to thinking like this

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Playing Murray for 18 minutes is surely going to help us. I also heard Parros will probably be back tonight. I'm sure he's going to help our offense as well.

Do you see any type of structure in our game?? We are playing the exact same way we played under RC, except we have a better team.

Structure now? No, they are running around in their own end and tossing up large pizzas on the regular. But earlier in the year they were playing well defensively, making good decisions. Their 5v5 earlier in the season was quite good, an improvement over years past, but in the last while it has absolutely tanked. But I don't think you can judge an entire season on this slump, because the Habs always slump at this time of year, and then usually recover in Feb/March.

And has Murray's increased ice hurt the team? I don't think he has played any worse then the rest of the D

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
...but why not try to play a style of hockey more suited for the lineup we have, a la speed & transistion, instead of a dump & chase grind that doesn't at all suit the ability (or the size) of said lineup??...I get what you're saying, Grant, but we've been successful with a hard forecheck and using our speed/transition game in the recent past...we're not built for a "slow it down & grind it out" style...Galchenyuk out hurts, but it shouldn't change that we are not a grind team so why try to play a grind game...

So you are saying don't dump it in and chase..instead employ a hard forecheck? That doesn't make sense. Don't you have to dump it in to forecheck? When you have the puck in the offensive zone..that's not forechecking..the other team has to have the puck for you to forecheck.

We're not built for an overly aggressive forecheck with our lack of size on the wings, we're not going to intimidate many defencemen. Of course you want one guy in hard on the dman, but that's it...this team isn't built to outgun other teams....they just don't have the offensive talent.

Where did I say slow it down though? Of course we have to try to use our speed and transition game...but more in the neutral zone than in deep I think because of that lack of size. We've all seen what happens when the Habs play a loose defensive style the past two weeks...it ain't going to work.

This team needs to win games 3-2, not lose them 5-0. Not sure why people are degrading Gorges for saying exactly what needs to be done.

You'd have a lot more respect for him if he had said..."We need to keep playing the way we are..damn the torpedoes..all out blitzkrieg! We are bound to start winning 6-5 eventually with this potent lineup,"

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If this putz becomes captain, I'm giving away this moniker and turning in my membership forever. Stay tuned, pm me if you want this moniker.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Even in the games where we played well defensively we got next to no offense generated. MT has mitigated any offensive creativity this team had. Even Subban is a shadow of his former self...

It happened in Pittsburgh and it's happening here.

The best defense is a strong offense. Keep the puck in your opponent's zone as much as you can. And for the love of God stop playing Murray over Diaz.

except for a team like Montreal, who does not have the defensive depth, that style doesn't work. You could put Murray in, take him out, it doesn't matter, the team's success does not depend on 5/6 d-men. Their stars have to play better, those are the guys who make the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad