We lost

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Price hasn't played well against upper echelon teams this year. Stopped only 18 of 22 shots last night, for .818 save percentage. Was blown out by the Black Hawks 5-0 and Tampa 6-1 earlier in season. Starting to notice a trend

That our defensive structure is a joke that good teams easily exploit ??

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Habs were flat until the there was 6 minutes left to the game.

Having said that, the player who had the worst game was most definitely Price. He looked like a Pee-Wee goalie out there and played nervously. Uncharacteristically so.

Desharnais was OK. Don't know why shortsighted dolts keep harping on one player when the whole team looked flat. 3 out of 4 goals by their 3rd line. Gilbert is -3 and Beaulieu -2, the latter having created 2 gigantic giveaways.

But no, let's continue to harp on Desharnais. *sigh*

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Having said that, the player who had the worst game was most definitely Price. He looked like a Pee-Wee goalie out there and played nervously. Uncharacteristically so.

Desharnais was OK. Don't know why shortsighted dolts keep harping on one player when the whole team looked flat. 3 out of 4 goals by their 3rd line. Gilbert is -3 and Beaulieu -2, the latter having created 2 gigantic giveaways.

You give NHL talent a life time to pick their spot with two pass options and see what happens.

Price, I will say, went down a bit early last night.. But on all goals he can't be faulted. He wasn't superhuman last night. This what the team looks like against good teams and Price doesn't play in Jesus mode.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Desharnais was OK and Price a pee-wee
:shakehead

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I thought Galchenyuk looked alright last night, not many bright spots for sure.

I'll agree with those on Price. He didn't look sharp or confident last night. These nights happen and it's ok to say he wasn't his best.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You're saying when Plekanec played with Gionta and Moen, was our first line? :amazed:

Plekanec has been the #1 center since Therrien took over. Moen has gotten a few shifts with him here and there but he's been a regular on the 4th line.

That our defensive structure is a joke that good teams easily exploit ??

Which goal was due to defensive structure? The first 2 were due to giveaways by Pacioretty and Beaulieu, 3rd one was Gallagher not picking up the trailer in a 3 on 3 situation. 4th one was a rebound on a PP from an offensive zone penality.

A lot of individual miscues moreso than the "system" being broken. The Habs don't have such a powerhouse that they get to go 14-5-1 with poor structure...anybody that thinks that is dreaming in colour.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It was Desharnais that yelled at Beaulieu from the bench to make a weak pass across his own end.

It was also him that had Pacioretty give up the puck and Beaulieu to run around covering nobody.

He was also to blame for not telling Gallagher to pick up the high man as well ands for telling Galchenyuk to hack and take a penality.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I don't care much about that lost. It was mainly the result of bold mistakes, which isn't bad since these mistakes are usually the easiest to fix.

Few observations, tho:

• I was never sold on DD, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt since he works hard, he's better defensively than people give him credit for, and he somehow produces. But what I always thought would happen is happening: as the team is developping into a clear cut top tier team, he's becoming one of the few weakest links. His time is counted.

• Still not sold on Eller. After a nice strech during which he shows all of his skills and is producing, he becomes invisible and the worse part of his line for 2 straight games (and counting). But I'm still willing to be patient since there's so much to like about him.

• The so called depth on D with the supposed top prospects is a myth. I still think both Beaulieu and Tinordi will make it in the NHL, but I doubt either will become a first pair guy, and nobody in the pipeline shows that type of skills and the capacity to use it at the NHL level. Since the cup window is between now and 5 years ahead, I think Bergevin should sacrifice good prospect(s) to get a clear cut #2 (or at least a clear cut #3). I think the next 2 drafts will show Timmins focussing on Ds.

• Beaulieu reminds me more and more of Patrice Brisebois. Can still have a great career and be pretty usefull, but won't be a top pairing D like his skills are giving hope for.

• I like the kid pretty much, but I'm starting to think we're seeing what we had to see about Gallagher. The opposing D-men are playing him better than before, and like it or not, his small size is an obstacle for him to adapt. Since I doubt he will developp into a faster skater or a better playmaker, I'm wondering if he could be the kid to sacrifice in a package to go get a true #2 d-man...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't care much about that lost. It was mainly the result of bold mistakes, which isn't bad since these mistakes are usually the easiest to fix.

Tampa Bay 7 - Habs 1
Chicago 5 - Habs 0
Pittsburg 4 - Habs 0
Calgary 6 - Habs 2

They have two other losses ( Edmonton & Vancouver) but I won't count them. It's a small sample size but something tells me this team will look great against weak and better than average teams but against top teams will fold like a pop-up story book..

Let's see how they respond against St Louis on Thursday.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Tampa Bay 7 - Habs 1
Chicago 5 - Habs 0
Pittsburg 4 - Habs 0
Calgary 6 - Habs 2

They have two other losses ( Edmonton & Vancouver) but I won't count them. It's a small sample size but something tells me this team will look great against weak and better than average teams but against top teams will fold like a pop-up story book..

Not to be a negative nelly but expect St Louis to wipe the floor with us.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
You give NHL talent a life time to pick their spot with two pass options and see what happens.
Irrelevant to what I was stating which was that 2 gigantic giveaways put the team down 2-0 very early on. And Price didn't bail his team once last night.

Price, I will say, went down a bit early last night.. But on all goals he can't be faulted. He wasn't superhuman last night. This what the team looks like against good teams and Price doesn't play in Jesus mode.
He wasn't only not superhuman but he stunk, plain and simple. Everybody can have an off night, him included. Let's call a spade a spade. He sucked ; that's the bottom line.

Desharnais was OK and Price a pee-wee
:shakehead
Yeah, I know. Weird when somebody watches the game with open eyes as opposed to with unshakable bias, right?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The first goal had NOTHING to do with coverage, Beaulieu had FULL control of the puck and tried a pass up the middle of the ice, the first thing a dman learns, nothing up the middle. he made a tape to tape pass, Bennett took 2 steps, snipe. ZERO to do with coverage when your team has the puck. When your team has the puck, job is to get open, not worry about your D making a bone head pass.

Didn't you hear? That was Gilbert's fault.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We don't just lose...but blown out by top clubs.
That's what happens when you're outshot 41-17. You lose 7-1.

Same thing happened last year btw, feel free to watch the games vs St Louis and LA. Bottom line is that unless Price is superhuman, we don't win the games we do. Even this season look at us against Calgary. We had zero business winning the first game against them. We were badly outplayed in both games...

Last night there were two stoppable pucks that went past him. Just because they were stoppable though doesn't make them easy stops. Both were point blank from the slot. Usually he has those because usually he's superhuman. Last night he was good but not great. And we saw the result of what our season would look like with a good but not great goalie.

Totally agree. You can't just let guys have all the time in the world in the slot and expect your goalie to bail you out every time. Worst that can be said was that he didn't bail us out as he usually does on two goals.

And odds are that if you score zero goals, you aren't going to win.

Last edited:

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Tampa Bay 7 - Habs 1
Chicago 5 - Habs 0
Pittsburg 4 - Habs 0
Calgary 6 - Habs 2

It is highly possible Habs are not at the "top-teams" level yet, but I doubt the difference is as big as these scores seems to show. If Florida can beat Anaheim 6-1, it means the score doesn't mean much. But I do think it shows the defensive side of the game needs work. That's why I was writing in my post about the need to get a real #2 or #3 D-man.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
It was Desharnais that yelled at Beaulieu from the bench to make a weak pass across his own end.
LOL! OK, there... I'm sure it was also him sending telepathic messages to Gallagher to ignore the 3rd man in too? Amazing...

It was also him that had Pacioretty give up the puck and Beaulieu to run around covering nobody.
Uh-huh. You're right. Totally making a case for how one player who wasn't even on the ice for 3 out of 4 goals was wholly responsible for the loss. Let's conveniently forget that the goalie was playing like my dead grandmother and that there was 18 other people playing. I'd suggest exercising this thing called logic at least once in a while.

He was also to blame for not telling Gallagher to pick up the high man as well ands for telling Galchenyuk to hack and take a penality.[/QUOTE]

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
LOL! OK, there... I'm sure it was also him sending telepathic messages to Gallagher to ignore the 3rd man in too? Amazing...

Uh-huh. You're right. Totally making a case for how one player who wasn't even on the ice for 3 out of 4 goals was wholly responsible for the loss. Let's conveniently forget that the goalie was playing like my dead grandmother and that there was 18 other people playing. I'd suggest exercising this thing called logic at least once in a while.

He was also to blame for not telling Gallagher to pick up the high man as well ands for telling Galchenyuk to hack and take a penality.
[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm meter is at off, right?

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Price hasn't played well against upper echelon teams this year. Stopped only 18 of 22 shots last night, for .818 save percentage. Was blown out by the Black Hawks 5-0 and Tampa 6-1 earlier in season. Starting to notice a trend

You know he has beaten the bruins twice this year, the rangers, the wild, the flyers, the wings etc..

Everyone one of those teams last year made the playoffs.

Hockey is a team game, not lets hope Carey bails us out game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hockey is a team game, not lets hope Carey bails us out game.
That's been the strategy for two years now... Folks look at the record and ignore our play. We didn't play well last year and for the most part we haven't played well this year. Quenville was behind the bench having a good laugh when we played against them this year.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
That's been the strategy for two years now... Folks look at the record and ignore our play. We didn't play well last year and for the most part we haven't played well this year.

And that is my issue with people who rag on price. He plays poorly it his fault. The team wins oh look it was a team effort, when most of the time carey has to come up big 3-4 times in a period so they were able to win.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
  • I was never sold on DD, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt since he works hard, he's better defensively than people give him credit for, and he somehow produces. But what I always thought would happen is happening: as the team is developping into a clear cut top tier team, he's becoming one of the few weakest links. His time is counted.
Personally, I doubt that the Habs would find any takers. The more I see Desharnais play, the more I see a resemblance to Derek Roy. A small center who absolutely needs certain pieces and situations to be successful. Once defenders have learned how to counter him, there's not much he can do. He'll also lose most of his battles on the boards due to his size. I'll assume that Bergevin will *try* to find takers during the off-season but unless the team takes on another unwanted player, I highly doubt that will happen.

If Galchenyuk could solidify his position as a legitimate NHL centerman, I believe Desharnais would be done. Unfortunately, Galchenyuk seems to work better as a winger for now.

• Still not sold on Eller. After a nice strech during which he shows all of his skills and is producing, he becomes invisible and the worse part of his line for 2 straight games (and counting). But I'm still willing to be patient since there's so much to like about him.
Eller's fine. He's a borderline 2nd centerman on this team who is usually not a defensive liability. He's not expected to produce at every opportunity as he is clearly spearheading the 3rd line. If anything, that line had been playing over their head for the past few games.

• The so called depth on D with the supposed top prospects is a myth. I still think both Beaulieu and Tinordi will make it in the NHL, but I doubt either will become a first pair guy, and nobody in the pipeline shows that type of skills and the capacity to use it at the NHL level. Since the cup window is between now and 5 years ahead, I think Bergevin should sacrifice good prospect(s) to get a clear cut #2 (or at least a clear cut #3). I think the next 2 drafts will show Timmins focussing on Ds.
Tinordi will likely be a 3rd-pairing guy for his whole career whereas I predict Beaulieu will eventually become a solid 2nd-pairing D-man. It'll be interesting to see who the Habs try to get when Markov retires because there's nobody on the farm team who could be on the 1st-pairing. I love Emelin but I don't believe he's top-pair material, though he's a solid 2nd-pair D-man.

• I like the kid pretty much, but I'm starting to think we're seeing what we had to see about Gallagher. The opposing D-men are playing him better than before, and like it or not, his small size is an obstacle for him to adapt. Since I doubt he will developp into a faster skater or a better playmaker, I'm wondering if he could be the kid to sacrifice in a package to go get a true #2 d-man...
He's on pace for the exact same amount of points he's had last year, which was a career-high total. Granted, he'll never be a superstar, but players like him who aren't afraid to go to the net and pay the price and who can score garbage goals are rare, especially on the Habs. Who else on the team fills that role? If Bourque would have played like he can, we could throw his name in the conversation, but nobody else has a nose for the net like Gallagher does.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Sarcasm meter is at off, right?
If anybody's radar is off, it might be yours as the poster I was replying to wasn't being sarcastic in the least. If you genuinely believe he was, I'd invite you to read the rest of the posts he wrote in this thread for reference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad