We lost

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Desharnais was OK. Don't know why shortsighted dolts keep harping on one player when the whole team looked flat. 3 out of 4 goals by their 3rd line. Gilbert is -3 and Beaulieu -2, the latter having created 2 gigantic giveaways.

But no, let's continue to harp on Desharnais. *sigh*

Those who aren't DD haters are merely asking, why not experiment with lines that don't have DD and Patches joined at the hip, when a game is out of reach?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Scout,

You can argue that Dd is a decent centerman but please don't tell me he is suited for 1st line duties. He belongs in the role of a 3rd line center man and I'm a big DD fan. Giving him PP and big offensive minutes is counter productive. We need to switch up the centermen or move DD to wing and put Chuckie in at center. DD is not cutting it.

I have never said he was a #1 center...doesn't get #1 minutes, doesn't get paid like one...only on here do we hear he is the "#1 center". Since MT has been coach Plekanec has been his #1 center. The minutes prove it...

Moving Galchenyuk to center right now, unless you are ready to lose some games because of it, will cost you points in the standings and MB and co do not appear to be willing to do that for now. If you move 27 to C and play him the same minutes and don't shelter him on the road with less minutes, you risk having rough patches with him in the defensive zone against Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Backstrom, Datsyuk etc As much as we read the BS on here, Desharnais holds his own defensively, his size hurts him but he puts in the extra effort and uses his height for leverage in battles. He won't win a Selke, but his ice time doesn't have to be cut on the road(last year he was a 0.8 PPGM on the road and 0.5 PPGM at home).

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Lars Eller produces the same 5 on 5 offense that DD does but with harder assignments and worse linemates. He's better offensively and defensively than DD is.

And he's got the best possession numbers on the team. DD has the worst with the exception of our 4th line. http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...core-overall-nhl-player-ranking-rating-week-5

No matter how you slice it, Eller is better than DD is.

Agreed that an upgrade to Desharnais is required but to suggest that Eller is that piece is laughable, regardless of possession numbers (which are next to irrelevant in my books). Galchenyuk isn't ready either... MB needs to go out and get that player on the market, which is no easy task.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Those who aren't DD haters are merely asking, why not experiment with lines that don't have DD and Patches joined at the hip, when a game is out of reach?

I have no issue with that. Desharnais usually plays better when he shoots more, maybe he would shoot more with other linemates for a bit.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Agreed that an upgrade to Desharnais is required but to suggest that Eller is that piece is laughable, regardless of possession numbers (which are next to irrelevant in my books). Galchenyuk isn't ready either... MB needs to go out and get that player on the market, which is no easy task.

That's pretty much what I think, appart from the "laughable" part which I think is a bit superlative as I don't think Eller would look soOo bad.

But since I don't think offense is the team main's problem, I think Bergevin should look for a #2 or #3 d-man before, which is certainly no easy task either.

I agree Galchenyuk isn't ready for C duty, but at least he's on his way. To the contrary, I don't see anyone able to fill the #2 D spot (and maybe even the #3) in the organization.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have never said he was a #1 center...doesn't get #1 minutes, doesn't get paid like one...only on here do we hear he is the "#1 center". Since MT has been coach Plekanec has been his #1 center. The minutes prove it...

Moving Galchenyuk to center right now, unless you are ready to lose some games because of it, will cost you points in the standings and MB and co do not appear to be willing to do that for now. If you move 27 to C and play him the same minutes and don't shelter him on the road with less minutes, you risk having rough patches with him in the defensive zone against Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Backstrom, Datsyuk etc As much as we read the BS on here, Desharnais holds his own defensively, his size hurts him but he puts in the extra effort and uses his height for leverage in battles. He won't win a Selke, but his ice time doesn't have to be cut on the road(last year he was a 0.8 PPGM on the road and 0.5 PPGM at home).

Look at the games against Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburgh.. Galchenyuk not at C didn't save us from having horrible games/shifts defensively against them

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
You have a strange view of things, Eller struggles offensively and has a horrible +- playing 3rd line minutes but he is a borderline #2? The only way I see him as a #2 is if he has Kane on one wing and Perry on the other. He's not a guy to carry a line because his vision and playmaking are subpar.
He had an off-season last year, but he had 30 points in 46 games in the shortened season. Out of 82 games, he would have had 53 points. Not bad for a guy with subpar abilities. That looks like a borderline 2nd centerman to me.

Saying Desharnais wouldn't find any takers makes no sense, you should look at other teams and rosters sometime. Most players who put up around 50 points a year get 4.5-6 mil/year not 3.5 mil AAV. That kind of contract is an easy fit for a team looking for offensive depth.
I'm aware of other teams' rosters, thank you. When I say Desharnais wouldn't find any takers, I'm referring to a trade, meaning both parties would need to agree to what they'd get in return. What do you think a team that would require another centerman be willing to give in return? Let's take a look at teams that have a hard time scoring goals ; Columbus, Carolina, Buffalo, or Florida. What pieces from these teams do you think would benefit the Habs and that the team would likely give up in return for Desharnais?

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
He had an off-season last year, but he had 30 points in 46 games in the shortened season. Out of 82 games, he would have had 53 points. Not bad for a guy with subpar abilities. That looks like a borderline 2nd centerman to me.

I'm aware of other teams' rosters, thank you. When I say Desharnais wouldn't find any takers, I'm referring to a trade, meaning both parties would need to agree to what they'd get in return. What do you think a team that would require another centerman be willing to give in return? Let's take a look at teams that have a hard time scoring goals ; Columbus, Carolina, Buffalo, or Florida. What pieces from these teams do you think would benefit the Habs and that the team would likely give up in return for Desharnais?

That's the funny thing about Desharnais as I don't think he's easy to trade. Not good enough to attract a sure bet prospects in return, and a team needing him as a piece of the puzzle probably won't be willing to trade an established player for him.

On the other hand, I'm prertty sure Deshardais would received great offers on the FA market. For example, I'm pretty sure NY Islanders would prefer to have DD as their second line center than having Grabovski. At least I would prefer DD as his work ethic is great and he seems like a great teammate. I would bet DD would receive more than what he's getting right now on the FA market.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's the funny thing about Desharnais as I don't think he's easy to trade. Not good enough to attract a sure bet prospects in return, and a team needing him as a piece of the puzzle probably won't be willing to trade an established player for him.

On the other hand, I'm prertty sure Deshardais would received great offers on the FA market. For example, I'm pretty sure NY Islanders would prefer to have DD as their second line center than having Grabovski. At least I would prefer DD as his work ethic is great and he seems like a great teammate. I would bet DD would receive more than what he's getting right now on the FA market.

Doubt it. Grabovski is way more dynamic offensively than Desharnais. He'd probably put up way more points if he played with Patches in the DD role.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

TOI
Pleks 18:55
DD 17:13
Eller 14:26
Maholtra 11:31

DD doesn't play a sec on the PK and Pleks usually gets to play about a third of our PK minutes. We have one of the better PK units in the league

DD's line is usually first on the PP and usually spends the most time on the PP. Plek's line gets the left overs and Eller's on occasion gets some PP scraps. We have one of the worse PP units in the league.

DD is a perfect example of the Peter Principle: you get promoted to your level of incompetency. DD's TOI should be decreased to 12-13 minutes. And I'm one of his biggest fans.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Maybe. I wouldn't bet on DD getting more points. But I still would prefer to have DD. Personnal opinion.

Grabovski is a more complete player who can play in his own end and is stronger due to his larger frame. He soured with Carlyle because he was playing only defense in a shutdown role under Carlyle. DD would have never even been tried in such a role.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Price hasn't played well against upper echelon teams this year. Stopped only 18 of 22 shots last night, for .818 save percentage. Was blown out by the Black Hawks 5-0 and Tampa 6-1 earlier in season. Starting to notice a trend

Are you really gonna blame Price last night?
I'll be the first to admit when he plays bad but to blame him last night is crazy

1st goal - you do know this is the NHL right? Any player given enough time to tan on the beach while in the slot will pick a corner and snipe it, that's what these guys do and that's what Bennett did.

2nd goal - I don't know what you expected but again 1 guy who can score has the puck in the high slot alone while another guy is back door without a Habs jersey within a country mile of him. Don't know if you expected Price to have a superman cape come out and him fly across the ice to stop it but that puck is going in 100 times out of 100.

3rd goal, yet again in the slot untouched and by himself, see the trend yet?? It's to easy for these shooters.

4th goal, in front of the net a dman is supposed to play hard on anybody, let alone Malkin and Crosby two of the best players in the world we watch them and let them both be on the edge of the crease without paying the price (no pun intended)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Maybe. I wouldn't bet on DD getting more points. But I still would prefer to have DD. Personnal opinion.

Also, 9 points in 15 games without Johnny T is far superior to 10 points in 20 games with first wave PP time and Pacioretty. The Isles' first wave has Johnny T, Okposo, and Nelson. Grabovski is doing more with less.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Grabovski is a more complete player who can play in his own end and is stronger due to his larger frame. He soured with Carlyle because he was playing only defense in a shutdown role under Carlyle. DD would have never even been tried in such a role.

Grabovsky would be an upgrade but still not solve our dilemma which is a good indication of how serious it really is. The problem existed before DD's new contract so MB does not get a free ride.
We are ahead of schedule with our SC plan but it's clear a DD Plecky 1-2 doesn't strike fear into anyone.
The high end pieces we need will not develop in time IMO for another 3yrs. How many years will Carey be at the summit of his game?
I believe we need to act now with our Top 6.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
SEKAC = Top 6 offensive skill level.
It's obvious, he's more skilled than PAP and Gallagher.

GALCHENYUK: Again, the most dangerous offensive threat on this team.
Tonight he really gave it all on the ice.

Poeple were saying that prior to move Galchenyuk at center we need a LW to replace him....it's done, we got it.

Trade DD for a 3rd liner....time for that team to evolve.

Simple as that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When Bennet and Downie are 1st and 2nd Stars of the game - did the HABS really show up :shakehead

Most pundits wondered how the Habs would handle Crosby and Malkin.

Says something about secondary scoring.

But in our case, it also sends the message that we're not quite there yet, which is fine, the team has been progressing nicely.

When we reach the point where DD can be moved from the first line and placed in a position where he is a secondary points provider/ playmaker, then the Habs will finally have a first gear that will match the best teams. DD is losing way too many puck battles and seems overmatched by players with both greater reaches and physicality -- he'd be much more effective not having to face the other teams' best players.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
It's so obvious that when the d is gonna get exposed and our offence will suck, we will start struggling but it's just a loss against a very good team so let's wait

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Maxpac - Plekanec - Parenteau
xxxxx - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Eller- Sekac

Here's out top 3 lines after we trade DD + w/e for a proven 2nd line left winger.

Edit: for 4th line we have: Weise, Malhotra, Bournival (when back), Bowman, and more AHL boys that can step it up in case of injuries.

What do you think?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You think Desharnais should encourage physical contact? Would you if you were his size going against much bigger opponents?

Here's an interesting stat from last night.

Here are the Habs players who had 2 or more hits last night.

Pacioretty - 6
Galchenyuk - 3
Emelin, Markov, Bowman - 2

Lots of Habs avoiding contact last night, including some with size.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Again, they need to focus on stopping Sidney Crosby.

They did. The only point he produced was a PPG when the game was already 3-0 for Pittsburgh. As mentioned above, he was shut down at ES by the likes of Plekanec and Eller, which is nice. The main points of the game where Pittsburgh's secondary scoring and a few defensive gaffs.

Pittsburgh played well. They capitalized on a few mistakes in the neutral and defensive zones and made the Habs pay for it. It happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad