We lost

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
You think Desharnais should encourage physical contact? Would you if you were his size going against much bigger opponents?

DD has to play like Martin St. Louis who works hard all the time on and off the ice. When DD skates hard he's fine. But he floats alot. You can get away with that when you're the most talented player in the world and big, like Kovalev. When you're the opposite, you must play hard, simple as that.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
After reading through this read, in trying to figure out who's exactly to blame, I feel like I'm in that Abbot and Costello "Who's on first?" routine. :whaaa?:
I'm blaming the fans, we got soft and stopped asking for Therrien removal. It was nice while it lasted but I firmly believe more DD hate would elevate this team.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Watch a game instead of stats.

Gilbert was positionally sound on the goals. They were Beaulieu's fault.

I blame Therrien more than Beaulieu but there is zero reason to blame Gilbert for the sake of blaming. Thats all
I watch all of the games. I'm not blaming Gilbert for the loss, I'm just saying that you can't sit there and say how bad Beaulieu was when ol' Gilby didn't exactly help out either.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
This team looked tired and uninterested.

Unfortunately, they're in quite a stretch of hockey. I worried they'd lose steam. And they still have to play Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, and against some tough teams. So let's hope they find some energy and inspiration from somewhere. Mercifully, they then get four days off.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Making one huge gaffe on the first goal was bad enough, making the identical pass again against the same player, asinine. Just par for the course if you had been watching all of his games, he makes those types of plays regularly, only tonight they cost the game.:shakehead

Ill take that from a 21 year old rookie over our supposed number 1C not knowing he has another winger with his so called vision.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that Beaulieu has made the identical passes before in front of Beau Bennett and that's why he expected the passes, Beaulieu seems to think that it's a fluke or something asinine like that. Adolescent thinking, that he's better than others even though he gets proved wrong over and over!:(:shakehead:help: Beau Bennett 2010 19th OV 6'1 -173 lbs. now 6'2" - 207 lbs. he's working at getting bigger and better. Beaulieu what still 194lbs. and started at 6'1 180lbs. Sure Bennett had an extra year but Nathan is now 11 lbs. lighter and being made to look like a rookie by a rookie.

Last edited:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
DD has to play like Martin St. Louis who works hard all the time on and off the ice. When DD skates hard he's fine. But he floats alot. You can get away with that when you're the most talented player in the world and big, like Kovalev. When you're the opposite, you must play hard, simple as that.

This doesn't change the fact I believe DD's miscast as a 1C, but he'd be making a better go at it if he played more like he did when he came in the league. His m.o. was typically to cross the blue line, chip the puck to the back board, beat the D in a foot race, tie up the puck, get a better starting point to make a go at the net.

Now, you'll notice he'll often let PAP and Max fight it out in the offensive zone while he platoons the neutral zone. Most of the times he's not moving his feet. He's either grown complacent or being told to play like that as part of a system. Whatever it is, he'll have trouble being effective at ES if he plays that way.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Da Trooot

therrien.gif

tumblr_mhfbvsHbYf1qmazcxo1_500.gif

tumblr_mv9nvqgWDg1shr61qo1_500.gif

Pricef*

Fire the coach, GM, trade everybody. Sky is falling!! Some old HF BS. :help:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Galchenyuk and Sekac were the 2 best players for The Habs last night...

Sekac - 14:48
Chuckie - 18:29

Maybe I am nuts but I would LOVE to see a line of

Patches - Galchenyuk - Sekac

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I watch all of the games. I'm not blaming Gilbert for the loss, I'm just saying that you can't sit there and say how bad Beaulieu was when ol' Gilby didn't exactly help out either.

There isn't a lot you can do when your defense partner throws the puck up the middle and it's in the net right after. The 2nd goal Gilbert had his man but Pacioretty and Beaulieu lost theirs...asking Gilbert to cover 3 guys makes no sense, same with the 3rd goal where Gallagher got mesmerized by the puck and missed the trailer.

This place is ridiculous...when the team loses it's never Subban Glachenyuk Eller or any young player's fault and it's always Gilbert Therrien or Desharnais' waether they had a part or not.

Last night was probably Beaulieu's worst NHL game, especially early on...a lot of coaches would have nailed his ass to the bench, but Therrien didn't...yet all we hear about is how he has no patience for young players.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Someone was saying they miss JM in a kind of a tongue in cheek fashion.
I can guarantee you that his D structure would suite this team fine.
Martin's game was about capitalizing on turnovers and transitioning as a team.
How good would he have been with this club vs the scrubs he had to work with?

I'm trying to figure out why we have absolutely no variation or adjustability to our style of play?
I understand the long bomb can be an effective trap buster but not if you don't vary it FFS.
It seems to me MT doesn't trust our ability to rush as a team using the 10ft pass as a means of moving the play forward. The last perplexing item that is bugging me is our dump in. We seem to be the only team in the league who can't dump to a corner and have the puck die there. I would rather we just blast a long shot on net than offer up a poor dump in. This way we may force a damn faceoff once in a while. We ultimately try to ring it around the boards and the play is usually cut off with the puck heading back our way in short order.
Not enjoying these games against stiffer opposition we are getting eaten alive.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This doesn't change the fact I believe DD's miscast as a 1C, but he'd be making a better go at it if he played more like he did when he came in the league. His m.o. was typically to cross the blue line, chip the puck to the back board, beat the D in a foot race, tie up the puck, get a better starting point to make a go at the net.

Now, you'll notice he'll often let PAP and Max fight it out in the offensive zone while he platoons the neutral zone. Most of the times he's not moving his feet. He's either grown complacent or being told to play like that as part of a system. Whatever it is, he'll have trouble being effective at ES if he plays that way.

DD played ONE YEAR as #1 center...and the Habs finished 28th...that was 3 years ago...let go of the past.

He's getting #2 center minutes and producing as well as any #2 center outside of a guy like Malkin and his contract is peanuts.

Last night he was the hardest working player on his line, Max didn't have it and Parenteau had a poor night, eventually replaced for a few shifts by Weise.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
DD played ONE YEAR as #1 center...and the Habs finished 28th...that was 3 years ago...let go of the past.

He's getting #2 center minutes and producing as well as any #2 center outside of a guy like Malkin and his contract is peanuts.

Last night he was the hardest working player on his line, Max didn't have it and Parenteau had a poor night, eventually replaced for a few shifts by Weise.

You're saying when Plekanec played with Gionta and Moen, was our first line? :amazed:

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Tampa Bay 1-7
Chicago 0-5
Pittsburgh 0-4

Those are some pretty serious eggs laid against some of the league's top teams. Therrien needs to do a much better job preparing the team to play against elite opponents.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It wouldn't surprise me at all that Beaulieu has made the identical passes before in front of Beau Bennett and that's why he expected the passes, Beaulieu seems to think that it's a fluke or something asinine like that. Adolescent thinking, that he's better than others even though he gets proved wrong over and over!:(:shakehead:help: Beau Bennett 2010 19th OV 6'1 -173 lbs. now 6'2" - 207 lbs. he's working at getting bigger and better. Beaulieu what still 194lbs. and started at 6'1 180lbs. Sure Bennett had an extra year but Nathan is now 11 lbs. lighter and being made to look like a rookie by a rookie.

For an instructive look at the journey of rookie defensemen with potential, check out Dougie Hamilton's first two seasons. Same age as Beaulieu, but tossed into the fire earlier. He was a turnover machine for awhile, dropping his assignment, losing the puck, shying away from physical contact. Check the Bruins board -- they were totally frustrated with the kid up to last season. Loved him, loved his potential, lived with the mistakes. Now, finally, he's starting to catch on and the improvements are noticeable. Still a work in progress, but more and more of his tremendous upside is showing through.

Hamilton has played 145 NHL games. Beaulieu has played 44.

We have to treat our rookies -- especially the defensemen -- as works in progress and hope the Habs look for incremental success rather than spectacular breakthroughs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tampa Bay 1-7
Chicago 0-5
Pittsburgh 0-4

Those are some pretty serious eggs laid against some of the league's top teams. Therrien needs to do a much better job preparing the team to play against elite opponents.
It's cool that mostly we're beating the teams we're supposed to beat. But the schedule's been kind so far. It's going to be interesting to see how we do vs. St Louis. Last year's 1st game against them was an embarrassment. One of the worst games I've seen this roster play. I'm hoping for a far better fate next game.
For an instructive look at the journey of rookie defense with potential, check out Dougie Hamilton's first two seasons. Same age as Beaulieu, but tossed into the fire earlier. He was a turnover machine for awhile, dropping his assignment, losing the puck, shying away from physical contact. Check the Bruins board -- they were totally frustrated with the kid up to last season. Loved him, loved his potential, lived with the mistakes. Now, finally, he's starting to catch on and the improvements are noticeable. Still a work in progress, but more and more of his tremendous upside is showing through.

Hamilton has played 145 NHL games. Beaulieu has played 44.

We have to treat our rookies -- especially the defensemen -- as works in progress and hope the Habs look for incremental success rather than spectacular breakthroughs.
As much as I wasn't really a fan of Martin, he gave Subban every opportunity to develop. The Kings play their young blueliners and let them make mistakes.

Can't stand MT and how he uses younger players. Even now we see Galchenyuk being held back...

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

At least when the game was out of reach which was basically at 2-0 at least maybe give it a try. He just moves Weise, I always thought that in hockey if you needed an offensive spark that maybe just maybe you toss your most talented offensive guys together. Therrien sticks to da plan, he reminds me of Martin in so many ways.:shakehead

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price hasn't played well against upper echelon teams this year. Stopped only 18 of 22 shots last night, for .818 save percentage. Was blown out by the Black Hawks 5-0 and Tampa 6-1 earlier in season. Starting to notice a trend

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price hasn't played well against upper echelon teams this year. Stopped only 18 of 22 shots last night, for .818 save percentage. Was blown out by the Black Hawks 5-0 and Tampa 6-1 earlier in season. Starting to notice a trend
The trend is we blame Price when we lose?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

With the game pretty much out of hand last night I see no reason why MT couldn't at least try something like that in the 3rd just to see how if it would work. But instead the only tinkering to the lines MT does last night in the 3rd period was to move Weise from the 4th to the DD/Pac line and PAP to the 4th line.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
IMO, this game was lost in the neutral zone pressure by the pens without any adjustment and at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad