We have to trade for Nylander

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
So all Nylander had to do to get his $7 million was sit out ~3 months? This was the worst possible outcome as you know damn well that other agents are going to try it with their clients now.

not only that, but since he got a $24.5 million signing bonus he probably actually made money by not playing. horrible precedent if you're a fan of common sense deals.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
not only that, but since he got a $24.5 million signing bonus he probably actually made money by not playing. horrible precedent if you're a fan of common sense deals.

Insanity. Rewarded with a $24M bonus for sitting at home, Matthews and Marner's agents are licking their chops, and, to be honest, probably is Aho's.

All agents of high-level RFA's would be absolutely stupid not to attempt this.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Meh...so who do we trade Pesce for now?...heh...

I’m down with the Jeff Carter idea, and I think I saw somewhere reputable where the braintrust has at least reached out to LA. Either way, the team is back where they were at the start of the season, with 1 too many RHD and now down a scoring fwd in Ferland (Rask equivalent from 2 months ago).

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Thank God this festival of ******ation is over. But holy **** did they really lose a third of a season of a top player for all that? Wow.

They signed him to $42M for 5+ years or 7.5M per. Because of the holdout and signing bonus his cap hit is only 6.9M for the remaining years after this one.

So they lost a third of the season for $500k-$600k a year in cap space.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Nylander signs for exactly what insiders say he was asking for. Toronto caves at the last second to a number they should have accepted weeks/months ago. Toronto fans celebrating like Dubas just signed another Tavares.

Nylander's ask was $8.5 million a month ago according to the same insiders. He moved on his ask more than the leafs did.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Nylander's ask was $8.5 million a month ago according to the same insiders. He moved on his ask more than the leafs did.

Are we really going to act now like the entire conversation around Nylander for the past week wasn’t a ~$6.5 million Leafs offer vs. a Nylander $6.9 million ask? I have personally half a dozen posts about how dumb that specific gap in negotiations is.

Come on now. Not on the Canes board. Go celebrate your fantasies on the Leafs board. Dubas should have signed this deal months ago.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
they signed him so they can trade him next week

I believe this may be truer that we know...

Maybe not next week. But when Matthews, Marner, Tavares are making 30-35 million combined and the Leaves need to add/re-sign some d-men and a goalie, he is a goner for sure.

Yeah, all one has to do is a little math to see there's "trouble in Paradise". Prior to signing William Nylander, for 2019-20 the Toronto Maple Leafs have $42.138 million in salary committed to 10 players (5 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goaltender). That does not include Horton's $5.3 million cap hit (LTIR once season begins). With Nylander included, the Leafs have over $49 million allotted for 11 guys. Assuming conservatively that Matthews and Marner end up getting $20 million between the two of them and Toronto will have over $69 million spent on 13 players. They will need at least 1 Top 9 forward, one Top 4 defender, 3 4th line forwards, one other defender, and a goalie.

Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo are all RFAs next season. Ennis and Lindholm are UFAs. There's almost no chance that Gardiner gets brought back. In 2020, many in Toronto are celebrating Marleau comin off contract, but he's a Top 6 forward who will need to be replaced in the lineup. If he keeps up his current level of play, Kapanen could easily put forth a $5 million or more ask.

I get that good teams spend up to the cap and hope that we get there someday. But there's a very real possibility that I'm underselling Matthews and Marner's contracts and a much more likely possibility that Toronto spends close to $40 million on 4 forwards. That's a tough number for any GM and leads me to believe that Nylander is almost certainly getting traded.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Are we really going to act now like the entire conversation around Nylander for the past week wasn’t a ~$6.5 million Leafs offer vs. a Nylander $6.9 million ask? I have personally half a dozen posts about how dumb that specific gap in negotiations is.

Come on now. Not on the Canes board. Go celebrate your fantasies on the Leafs board. Dubas should have signed this deal months ago.

I mean, if you only want to selectively look at the last week instead of taking the whole 3-4 month standoff into consideration. Whatever you need to tell yourself to think that the leafs lost.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Meh...so who do we trade Pesce for now?...heh...

I’m down with the Jeff Carter idea, and I think I saw somewhere reputable where the braintrust has at least reached out to LA. Either way, the team is back where they were at the start of the season, with 1 too many RHD and now down a scoring fwd in Ferland (Rask equivalent from 2 months ago).

Wait...33-year-old Jeff Carter? Hard pass.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I mean, if you only want to selectively look at the last week instead of taking the whole 3-4 month standoff into consideration. Whatever you need to tell yourself to think that the leafs lost.

Now you are just being silly. I don’t think the Leafs lost. This is the same deal any GM would have given their RFA in the offseason. It is a contract in line with every recent RFA of this quality in recent history when adjusted for Cap inflation. Mirtle wrote a The Athletic article about it today which I made multiple comments on it making sense.

Dubas tried to show some muscle with Marner/Matthews in line next and it blew up in his face. ALL reports say that Toronto made a final desperation offer to Nylander. That offer was in line with what everyone expected. That should tell you all you need to know about who kowtowed to who.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wait...33-year-old Jeff Carter? Hard pass.

No, no...You misunderstand me. Pesce would only be available for a similarly aged forward. More so, I was just commenting on what seems to be a lack of available scorers, now that Nylander is signed, for whom you may actually trade Pesce.

If Carter is actually an option, I’d say it’ll take picks and prospects, certainly not Pesce.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
How insecure do you have to be to go looking for validation on the board of a team who hasn't even been to the playoffs in 9 years and isn't even in your own division or even remotely considered a rival?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad