We have to trade for Nylander

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I added in the Leafs' portion of Kessel's bonus (15% of $5 mil.)

Signing bonuses can be paid before or after July 1. See Bobby Ryan:

Damnit, you seem to be right. The "July 1st" or "summer" payday of Signing Bonus gets reported as truth so I have gone along with that.

I would assume that payment for Ryan was the 2018-19 Signing Bonus, as the tweet mentions the next season base salary in the same context. It's not a massive difference if it is paid 1.5 month earlier, but it is a difference.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Now who's telling themselves stories to make themselves feel better?

Fine. Dubas is a very smart boy who totally won this negotiation. Happy? Will you go away now?

Are you talking to me? I'm discussing something that you guys are discussing. This is a fair contract its not a win for either side. 7m is pretty much what everyone figured he would get with the cap raising and his comparables from recent memory.

Reactions: zman77

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A Pastrnak inflation-adjusted contract is fair for Nylander. He doesn't have that 70 point season under his belt, but back-to-back 60 point campaigns gets him to that level. That's why I found it curious that seemingly the majority of Leafs fans argued against that very comparable leading up to yesterday. The revisionism I'm reading in the post-signing justification is pretty funny.

Not a shot at Leafs fans alone. HF as a whole lacks consistency when in comes to valuation.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Damnit, you seem to be right. The "July 1st" or "summer" payday of Signing Bonus gets reported as truth so I have gone along with that.

I would assume that payment for Ryan was the 2018-19 Signing Bonus, as the tweet mentions the next season base salary in the same context. It's not a massive difference if it is paid 1.5 month earlier, but it is a difference.

Common misconception. That tweet caught the majority of fans off-guard this Summer. I always assumed 7-1, too.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No because Nylander's ask wasn't 7m months ago. That wouldn't have made any sense as the two would have just met in the middle at 6.5m. The reports months ago were that he asked for 8m and the Lebrun is reporting that Dubas was offering 6m. So they ended up meeting in the middle at 7m essentially.

So Nylander wanted $8 million and the Leafs wanted $6 million. They settle in the middle at $7 million. Like... every RFA negotatiation that has ever happened in the history of everdom?

The only thing strange about this specific RFA negotiation is that it took 3 extra months into the year. Failure of the GM, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No because Nylander's ask wasn't 7m months ago. That wouldn't have made any sense as the two would have just met in the middle at 6.5m. The reports months ago were that he asked for 8m and the Lebrun is reporting that Dubas was offering 6m. So they ended up meeting in the middle at 7m essentially.

So Nylander wanted $8 million and the Leafs wanted $6 million. They settle in the middle at $7 million. Like... every RFA negotatiation that has ever happened in the history of everdom?

The only thing strange about this specific RFA negotiation is that it took 3 extra months into the year. Failure of the GM, plain and simple.

These AAV comparisons are useless if you don't take into consideration the respective A: how many expensive UFA years are meant to be bought with the AAV in question. Was Nylander asking 8x8M, was Dubas offering 8x6M or 6x6M, who gave in to end up with 6x6.9M.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't think the owners can expect the CBA to be tilted any more to their favor regarding the RFAs. Nylander took the only thing that's in his favor, the freedom of contracting, and tried muscling his case through that. The owners got their Right of First Refusal, their four-year demand for Arbitration eligibility, their everything. The one thing they can't get away from is that the player has to consent to sign himself up.

After the supreme class of RFAs all get signed by the next summer, Nylander's contract negotiations and the outcome of it will be a footnote. Matthews Marner Laine Rantanen Aho... Nylander didn't get the Draisaitl contract. It ended up like the strike my union did some years back. We got exactly the same as everyone else got without striking. Everyone can sign the rest of the RFAs now.
I think they will push for the removal of signing bonuses for RFAs and a limitation of them in UFA contracts as well. If they succeed, holdouts by RFAs will be allowed, but effectively quashed due to the real loss of money that will occur when a player misses games.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Are you talking to me? I'm discussing something that you guys are discussing. This is a fair contract its not a win for either side. 7m is pretty much what everyone figured he would get with the cap raising and his comparables from recent memory.

Players always make big asks so that they can come down to meet in the middle. Dubas says 6, so Nylander comes back with 8, fully expecting to settle at 7 a few days later. But Dubas refuses to play the game and sticks to his number- until the last second, where he gives- a lot- and hits pretty much exactly the number Nylander was actually targeting. It's the same stupid game of chicken the NHLPA played a few years ago. Scream and lose half a season until a deadline hits and then give in to the number literally everyone but you knew you would have to agree to.

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
Here is something that I want to let sink in. The NHL started counting Shooting Percentage as a stat in 1959. After almost 60 years, our current 6.7% shooting is on pace to be the worst in the history of hockey.

It's not a coincidence, because our forward group is complete trash beyond the top line. After whiffing on Nylander, I'll consider this upcoming season/offseason a failure if we're not in the market for some real NHL forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad