We have to trade for Nylander

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
We have to make a move for Nylander (like we tried earlier this season.) As long as we don't give up Pesce, Slavin, Fox, or Hamilton I will be fine with the trade *Cough Cough* Faulk, a conditional 1st and a B-ish prospect. We need another player to drive the offense in the middle six. (Aho is the one player up front who can.) He could be a superstar player playing next to Svechnikov. This could be the difference between playoffs and another mediocre season

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
As long as we don't give up Pesce, Slavin, Fox, or Hamilton

So you're not willing to give up the players that TOR would actually accept as a return for Nylander?

I'd love to be able to trade Faulk + for Nylander. I also love to win the lottery. Neither are likely to happen. If the braintrust makes a deal with Dubas for Nylander, I'd be absolutely shocked if Pesce is not part of it. Faulk's contract doesn't fit into their team's structure, nor does his style of play. Pesce's sweetheart deal and style of plan fits what they need to a T.

I'd much rather keep Pesce and somehow make a deal for Nylander, but short of dealing another one of those bolded players (with the exception of Fox since there's no way TOR deals Nylander for a prospect) there's no way CAR gets a player like Nylander.

The valuations TOR fans are placing on Nylander are pretty out there, but you'll see the few that will agree that Pesce + picks/decent prospects would be part of a deal. That's probably what we'll see IF Nylander is to become a Cane.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Honestly, if it gets near the end of the month and the Leafs won't budge on Pesce+ instead of Faulk+, then offer sheet him. I know they never happen, but I don't see why not in this case, and if anyone will do it, the Canes unconventional owner/management seem like prime candidates. And I'd rather lose a 1st then Pesce, the pluses would probably be relatively equal to the 2nd and 3rd of an offer sheet.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Honestly, if it gets near the end of the month and the Leafs won't budge on Pesce+ instead of Faulk+, then offer sheet him. I know they never happen, but I don't see why not in this case, and if anyone will do it, the Canes unconventional owner/management seem like prime candidates. And I'd rather lose a 1st then Pesce, the pluses would probably be relatively equal to the 2nd and 3rd of an offer sheet.

Has anyone done the math what AAV for 6, 7 and 8 year SPCs will keep Will in the 1st-2nd-3rd tier instead of pushing him into 4x1st territory as the OS compensation goes?

Apparently for 2018 the compensation is:

$1,339,575 or lessNo compensation
$1,339,576 to $2,029,659Third-round pick
$2,029,660 to $4,059,322Second-round pick
$4,059,323 to $6,088,980First and third-round picks
$6,088,981 to $8,118,641First, second and third-round picks
$8,118,642 to $10,148,302Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $10,148,302Four first-round
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2018 Offer Sheet Compensation

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Do it myself then:

5 y at $8,118,641 is $40,558,205 altogether, which is the sum that gets divided by 5 if there are 6+ years in the OS. The sum divided by years:

6 years: $6,759,700
7 years: $5,794,029
8 years: $5,069,775

Toronto would bathe the card in some ****ing glitter and have it perfumed.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
hqdefault.jpg

You MUST trade for him.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
8.1x1 leafs probably match as they can fit him in this year, but it puts them in the same or worse position next year.

If they dont match we have a "handshake deal" with Nylander to extend him for x amount
There's the thing that once they match and sign him, they're free to trade him next year or the next day if they so want. For the whole duration of the SPC in fact, because they have to only match the monetary terms but not any NMCs or suchlike that there might be on the Offer Sheet.

Once Nylander signs anything now, the full control over his future goes to the TML.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
8.1x1 leafs probably match as they can fit him in this year, but it puts them in the same or worse position next year.
No way Nylander signs a one year deal to do this again with the Leafs next year. And no way any other team is signing him for only one year with the compensation being a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I think one of the reasons they haven't done a bridge or short term deal is he wants some protection from possible CBA changes if a lockout occurs in 2020. I think he is only signing a long term deal. He might sign a five year deal that over pays him for his RFA years and lets him out at the beginning of his UFA years, but I'm not sure of that.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Draisaitl already exists as a comparable for top tier RFAs.
True, but it is an outlier right now. If Nylander gets his big payday, then those huge deals become harder to throw out as "one crazy GM". Both parties bring outliers to the table: agents bring Draisaitl while teams bring guys like Kadri and Elis.

It's why there will be another lockout or work stoppage.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
True, but it is an outlier right now. If Nylander gets his big payday, then those huge deals become harder to throw out as "one crazy GM". Both parties bring outliers to the table: agents bring Draisaitl while teams bring guys like Kadri and Elis.

It's why there will be another lockout or work stoppage.

Of course there will be another stoppage. But if Toronto is going to force Nylander to sit for the season or demand Slavin+, I'll pay 5 years $40.5M and give up the 1st+2nd+3rd.

One reason this doesn't happen is that people refuse to accept that RFA offer sheets are effectively UFA contracts. You have to outbid the holding team as well as other teams to sign the player.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No way Nylander signs a one year deal to do this again with the Leafs next year. And no way any other team is signing him for only one year with the compensation being a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I think one of the reasons they haven't done a bridge or short term deal is he wants some protection from possible CBA changes if a lockout occurs in 2020. I think he is only signing a long term deal. He might sign a five year deal that over pays him for his RFA years and lets him out at the beginning of his UFA years, but I'm not sure of that.

He would need to get a very special deal to make it one that wouldn't be allowed after 2020. But he probably does want guaranteed money in the form of Signing Bonus for 2020 and 2022. If he gets that, then a whole lotta RFAs will want that. -> It's not impossible that the GMs around the league have some kind of understanding with Dubas to not meddle with the negotiations.

It must be noted, Signing Bonus and the specified day of its payment are part of the Principal Terms in the Offer Sheet that the Former Club would need to match. So, an Offer Sheet could have a mean guarantee for 2020 and 2022 in it to screw TML over. Matthews obviously will get that anyway.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He's an unsigned RFA 17 days shy of being closed from the season and authoritative sources tell me he's asking ~$2M more than he's worth. Would hate to give up anything tangible.

If he will sign the offer sheet, I'll gladly give up the picks required for 5 years, $4oM. And if Toronto wants to match that, at least the saga is over.

For this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad