We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No thanks on a Gardiner trade.

1) he'll have to be overpaid on his next contract (as seemingly all UFA's to be are)

2) we have too many D prospects in the pipeline with high end potential to give up assets for an expensive Dman

3) despite his struggles, we don't have the offensive depth or top6 talent to trade Schmaltz for a defenseman

This rebuild/return/whatever needs to be done the right way...slowly. There's no quick fix trade that's going to make the Hawks a great team again.

IMO the plan NEEDS to be...

1) get a top 5 pick this year
2) Sign Panarin or Stone (no one else) as UFA's in the offseason
3) let our defensive prospects develop and start seriously integrating them into the NHL lineup next year

We'll have a solid core of Toews, Kane, DBC, Saad, Kieth, Crawford, a game-breaking forward in Panarin/Stone, a game-breaking forward from our top 5 pick, and a deep, talented, and young defensive core with at least half of these guys being added to the lineup.

Hawks will be Cup contenders in 2 seasons IMHO

Reactions: migi and ColdSteel2

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Schmaltz and Boqvist for Nylander would be terrible for the Hawks BTW. Are you assuming that Boqvist tanks?
I mean I'd obviously prefer to do Keith + Schmaltz. But I'd also be willing to do Boqvist + Schmaltz (Leafs could add a 2nd or Adam Brooks). I'm not expecting Boqvist to bust, but I think he'll be the worst amongst Joki, Mitchell and Beaudin.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I mean I'd obviously prefer to do Keith + Schmaltz. But I'd also be willing to do Boqvist + Schmaltz (Leafs could add a 2nd or Adam Brooks). I'm not expecting Boqvist to bust, but I think he'll be the worst amongst Joki, Mitchell and Beaudin.

Based on what? Just looking for you perspective.

Boqvist looked good in camp and is the most skilled of the 4. If people liked HJ on the PP just wait till the see Boqvist.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydesdale line

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No thanks on a Gardiner trade.

1) he'll have to be overpaid on his next contract (as seemingly all UFA's to be are)

2) we have too many D prospects in the pipeline with high end potential to give up assets for an expensive Dman

3) despite his struggles, we don't have the offensive depth or top6 talent to trade Schmaltz for a defenseman

This rebuild/return/whatever needs to be done the right way...slowly. There's no quick fix trade that's going to make the Hawks a great team again.

IMO the plan NEEDS to be...

1) get a top 5 pick this year
2) Sign Panarin or Stone (no one else) as UFA's in the offseason
3) let our defensive prospects develop and start seriously integrating them into the NHL lineup next year

We'll have a solid core of Toews, Kane, DBC, Saad, Kieth, Crawford, a game-breaking forward in Panarin/Stone, a game-breaking forward from our top 5 pick, and a deep, talented, and young defensive core with at least half of these guys being added to the lineup.

Hawks will be Cup contenders in 2 seasons IMHO

This.

But 4.) Needs LHD prospect, I would like to get Broberg with our draft pick, lock down the offensive defenseman core we’ve been building. Then just sign a forward if need be.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No but I see where we can improve the team long-term without hurting the future.

Schmaltz has his issues but I don't want to trade him. Team > Player.

You have to pay to play.

Agree with everything you said. That being said, a lot of people expected Schmaltz to be a 70+ point forward during the offseason. I remember the “our Kuznetzov” term.

Trading him now for a guy who is likely to be a 70+ point forward is at least some what of an acknowledgement that Schmaltz has somewhat stalled in his development, no?

Reactions: BK

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Agree with everything you said. That being said, a lot of people expected Schmaltz to be a 70+ point forward during the offseason. I remember the “our Kuznetzov” term.

Trading him now for a guy who is likely to be a 70+ point forward is at least some what of an acknowledgement that Schmaltz has somewhat stalled in his development, no?

No because I think Nylander has a higher ceiling.

I am not one to just trade a player when they hit a rough spot.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
What about Keith and Schmaltz for Nylander?

That's a no freakin way for me.

You cross your fingers Schmaltz figures it out, if he does he can be as about as valuable as Nylander.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Fair. I would do this because it also gives us more cap room.

It might make me physically ill to see Keith in a Leafs uniform.

Also, if I'm giving up Keith + Schmaltz it's for cheaper and better cost controlled young talent. Not someone who is going to jump onto this roster with a 7M+ cap hit. Schmaltz + Keith would be an INCREDIBLE package to a contender. I want much, much more than just Nylander for that.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This.

But 4.) Needs LHD prospect, I would like to get Broberg with our draft pick, lock down the offensive defenseman core we’ve been building. Then just sign a forward if need be.
Broberg shouldn't even be drafted in the first round

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Based on what? Just looking for you perspective.

Boqvist looked good in camp and is the most skilled of the 4. If people liked HJ on the PP just wait till the see Boqvist.
Based on the fact that Joki is a top pairing and Mitchell is even better than Joki. Boqvist could be better than Beaudin, but Beaudin is more complete as of now. Boqvist has more goal scoring upside but Beaudin is a better playmaker.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's a no freakin way for me.

You cross your fingers Schmaltz figures it out, if he does he can be as about as valuable as Nylander.
You'd be a terrible GM if you got that offer and said no. Keith is on the decline and Schmaltz ain't even close to the player that Nylander is.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Based on the fact that Joki is a top pairing and Mitchell is even better than Joki. Boqvist could be better than Beaudin, but Beaudin is more complete as of now. Boqvist has more goal scoring upside but Beaudin is a better playmaker.

Boqvist is better than HJ and Mitchell from a purely offensive standpoint and skating. Beaudin is not close to Boqvist.

We have seen what Boqvist can do so far and he looked better than HJ in the preseason.

You are severely underrating Boqvist for some reason.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You'd be a terrible GM if you got that offer and said no. Keith is on the decline and Schmaltz ain't even close to the player that Nylander is.

Schmaltz is within 10 points of Nylander so there is not this monumental devide like you are describing. Nylander is better but Schmaltz is a really good hockey player.

Maybe it is just recently but you seem to have written off a Schmaltz as a player already.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Why do you give Nylander the benefit of the doubt based on potential and not Schmaltz?

For the record I really like Nylander as a player and would for sure entertain Schmaltz+ for him but I feel like you are being very hypocritical when it comes to Nylander.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Boqvist is better than HJ and Mitchell from a purely offensive
I don't disagree with this, but for me I like Dmen to play a more complete and well rounded game. Boqvist can certainly get there, but that's going to take some years to get there whereas Joki and Mitchell have an innate 2 way prowess. Boqvist is pure offence as of now. And his offensive production is about equal to Beaudin currently. He's a better shooter but Beaudin is a better playmaker so they even out.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Schmaltz is within 10 points of Nylander so there is not this monumental devide like you are describing. Nylander is better but Schmaltz is a really good hockey player.

Maybe it is just recently but you seem to have written off a Schmaltz as a player already.
Schmaltz just isn't the player he was. I understand it's early in his career, but he looks broken. Too afraid to play physical, easing up on rushes, that pass first mentality. Mentally he's just not in the right head space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad