We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would do that, I just said the Leafs wouldn't. It does not help them out at all right now which if they move Nylander they want immediate help....
Oh gotcha. Yeah you might be right. I suggested adding a body like Anisimov or Rutta, but that would only help them with depth and wouldn't be an impact add.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would do that, I just said the Leafs wouldn't. It does not help them out at all right now which if they move Nylander they want immediate help....
imagine this one-

Schmaltz, Rutta, Boqvist and 2020 1st

for Nylander and Gardiner???

Schmaltz helps them now and Gardiner likely walks....maybe they can swing another deal and get a cheap dman to replace Gardiner...

the money we would spend on Schmaltz now heads towards Gardiner..

Reactions: Kevin Musto

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
My feeling about Toronto is that they’re in a bit of a bind...maybe not as bad as the Hawks were years ago, but still not dealing from a position of safe strength. No way in any trade I’m offering a first...at most a second or third.

For the above trade, it would be Schmaltz, Krys, and a second for Nylander and Gardiner, take it or leave it. Hawks don’t have to trade Boqvist for that, let alone adding a first. Nylander for Schmaltz weakens our forward defensive help, which is a huge component of the current dzone difficulties. I’d want something better for Schmaltz, Boqvist and a first.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
imagine this one-

Schmaltz, Rutta, Boqvist and 2020 1st

for Nylander and Gardiner???

Schmaltz helps them now and Gardiner likely walks....maybe they can swing another deal and get a cheap dman to replace Gardiner...

the money we would spend on Schmaltz now heads towards Gardiner..
I like it as long as Gardiner doesn't walk on us haha

Reactions: AmericanDream

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I’d do a deal around Schmaltz for Nylander. This team needs another sniper. But I would keep Boqvist and the 2020 1st. Schmaltz+ another piece or two is all I would do or Boqvist for Nylander. If a team was ready to pony up a bonifide defenseman in a hockey deal Nylander would be gone by now. Dubas might be getting sandbagged because of what NJ paid for Hall (lol chia) and the fact that Willy is unsigned and Toronto can’t pay him.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Boqvist doesn't matter if you're bringing in Nylander. Nor does the 2020 1st when we're tanking this year. You're putting too much stock in a guy that is unproven. Once again, Nylander is only 22. Boqvist won't even make an impact until he's about the same age. Jokiharju is already a top pairing D and Ian Mitchell is a stud with the same upside.

DeBrincat-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Hughes-Kane
Sikura-Schmaltz-Kahun
Kayumov-Barratt-Hayden

Keith-Jokiharju
Beaudin-Mitchell
Krys-Seabrook

That's without UFA signings. Yeah I don't really miss Boqvist.
You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of joker than I am, but get real for a moment: Joker has played less than 20 games in the NHL. He's got potential coming out of the claypit but assuming he's a top-pairing d-man now and in the future is really short sighted. He can always become another Samsonov-type that starts out awesome and then peters off. The only mitigation against that is more prospects in position to take over his role--guys like Mitchell, Beaudin, and Boqvist.

Nylander doesn't negate that in the least. The 'hawks should be loading up on D-prospects, not sending their best one after Joker out.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of joker than I am, but get real for a moment: Joker has played less than 20 games in the NHL. He's got potential coming out of the claypit but assuming he's a top-pairing d-man now and in the future is really short sighted. He can always become another Samsonov-type that starts out awesome and then peters off. The only mitigation against that is more prospects in position to take over his role--guys like Mitchell, Beaudin, and Boqvist.

Nylander doesn't negate that in the least. The 'hawks should be loading up on D-prospects, not sending their best one after Joker out.
I personally think Mitchell will be the next best dman over Boqvist...that is not a knock on Boqvist but just how good Mitchell is...I simply do not think many on here understand what we have here in Mitchell and how tremendous he is in all 3 zones...Boqvist still has some work to do in a number of areas, Mitchell could jump in right now and play for the Hawks...I was a fan of keeping Boqvist up for at least 9 games, he has held his own as well...

I will also add this - I saw 10-15 games their rookie season from the following players - Seth Jones, Zach Werenski and Charlie McAvoy...all of them were bonafide #1 defensemen in those viewings...I have seen over 15 games from Joker, he is a bonafide #1 defensemen...he is on par with those names with what he does out there.

He is our prize right now on defense....at 19 years old you do not look like this and not belong here...you can mask this as a forward for a while, but you cannot on defense. Joker is a clear #1 dman AINEC for me.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I agree with AD. If you've been impressed with Jokiharju, just wait until you see Mitchell.

Even Beaudin could likely pull a Sam Girard and make the squad next season. I still see Boqvist needing seasoning next year. I'd trade him for Nylander in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I personally think Mitchell will be the next best dman over Boqvist...that is not a knock on Boqvist but just how good Mitchell is...I simply do not think many on here understand what we have here in Mitchell and how tremendous he is in all 3 zones...Boqvist still has some work to do in a number of areas, Mitchell could jump in right now and play for the Hawks...I was a fan of keeping Boqvist up for at least 9 games, he has held his own as well...

I will also add this - I saw 10-15 games their rookie season from the following players - Seth Jones, Zach Werenski and Charlie McAvoy...all of them were bonafide #1 defensemen in those viewings...I have seen over 15 games from Joker, he is a bonafide #1 defensemen...he is on par with those names with what he does out there.

He is our prize right now on defense....at 19 years old you do not look like this and not belong here...you can mask this as a forward for a while, but you cannot on defense. Joker is a clear #1 dman AINEC for me.
looks as the scouting dept did, again a great job in their homework in the scouting....

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

And if Joker takes a hit like Rutta did last year and never fully comes back to where he was?

I'm not questioning his skill or vision on the ice, nor his poise, nor the fact that he does look damned good out there. He came up in the same system that developed Seth Jones. But we're 19 games into his career. Crap can happen. And if Crap does happen you'll want a plan B...which means you'd have to be adsorping LSD rectally to trade ANY of our top D prospects for a FWD at this point in time especially given that our current core d-men are losing out to Father Time.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Boqvist is a much different D man that Mitchell so comparing them is an apples to oranges thing. Boqvist is a Karlsson type d while Mitchell is more in the mold of Roman Josi. Mitchell and Joker are similar.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
And if Joker takes a hit like Rutta did last year and never fully comes back to where he was?

I'm not questioning his skill or vision on the ice, nor his poise, nor the fact that he does look damned good out there. He came up in the same system that developed Seth Jones. But we're 19 games into his career. Crap can happen. And if Crap does happen you'll want a plan B...which means you'd have to be adsorping LSD rectally to trade ANY of our top D prospects for a FWD at this point in time especially given that our current core d-men are losing out to Father Time.
Of course anything can happen, and if something does happen we have the depth to absorb an injury or one of the top kids "missing" at the pro ranks. I am higher on Krys than most here, he has been an enjoyable watch this year and his maturation has been impressive. I love seeing our kids wearing the C for their teams, we have that with Krys, Entwistle and Mitchell as a sophomore wears the A. These kids are leaders and are producing on the ice. Barratt wore an A for the USNDP and will rotate with an A as well now.

With Joker, I just see a player far advanced than his peers. A player that is showing that not only he belongs in the NHL, but at 19 years is commanding top pairing minutes. Watch the way he passes the puck out of the zone, crisp, accurate, and instant...that is what has been missing from our team is a player that can either skate it out of our zone, or get it out accurately to our forwards on a dime. His play on the point with keeping pucks in the zone, getting shots on net, getting pucks deep is the best we have right now. His play away from the puck has been a revelation as many didn't think he could do this, those that watched some of Portland last year were telling others that this kid can play both sides of the puck...he is a more skilled version of Hammer, just less physical..that is a legit #1 defensemen in this league.

I agree trading away Boqvist makes little sense and I have said I doubt Bowman EVER entertains it, but Nylander is the one name that would really make Bowman do a double take and think it over IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Boqvist is a much different D man that Mitchell so comparing them is an apples to oranges thing. Boqvist is a Karlsson type d while Mitchell is more in the mold of Roman Josi. Mitchell and Joker are similar.
Boqvist and Mitchell are definitely different players. They both will bring different levels of play for this organization for years.

If you want a NHL comp for Mitchell, Nate Schmidt would be it for me...Mitchell plays just like he does but has even better edge work, skating and vision. That is the type of player he can become, and that is an elite #1 dman right there. Schmidt is a bit of a late bloomer, but the way he controls the game is exactly what Mitchell can do, but Mitchell is even better at it at a younger age.

Another player similar to Mitchell in college is the stud from Harvard Adam Fox. The main difference between the two is Mitchell is a superior skater than Fox, but outside of that, they have a lot of similarities as well and both will be pros at the end of the year IMO.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Boqvist and Mitchell are definitely different players. They both will bring different levels of play for this organization for years.

If you want a NHL comp for Mitchell, Nate Schmidt would be it for me...Mitchell plays just like he does but has even better edge work, skating and vision. That is the type of player he can become, and that is an elite #1 dman right there. Schmidt is a bit of a late bloomer, but the way he controls the game is exactly what Mitchell can do, but Mitchell is even better at it at a younger age.

Another player similar to Mitchell in college is the stud from Harvard Adam Fox. The main difference between the two is Mitchell is a superior skater than Fox, but outside of that, they have a lot of similarities as well and both will be pros at the end of the year IMO.

Is Fox going to sign?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think he does, rumored that he will as well. Hurricanes seem to be aggressively shopping one of their RDs around to make room for the kid. He is another one who when signed steps in right away and plays at the NHL level, so if Carolina wants this kid, they need to make sure there is room for him which is why we keep hearing Faulk or Pesce is getting moved out.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Of course anything can happen, and if something does happen we have the depth to absorb an injury or one of the top kids "missing" at the pro ranks. I am higher on Krys than most here, he has been an enjoyable watch this year and his maturation has been impressive. I love seeing our kids wearing the C for their teams, we have that with Krys, Entwistle and Mitchell as a sophomore wears the A. These kids are leaders and are producing on the ice. Barratt wore an A for the USNDP and will rotate with an A as well now.

With Joker, I just see a player far advanced than his peers. A player that is showing that not only he belongs in the NHL, but at 19 years is commanding top pairing minutes. Watch the way he passes the puck out of the zone, crisp, accurate, and instant...that is what has been missing from our team is a player that can either skate it out of our zone, or get it out accurately to our forwards on a dime. His play on the point with keeping pucks in the zone, getting shots on net, getting pucks deep is the best we have right now. His play away from the puck has been a revelation as many didn't think he could do this, those that watched some of Portland last year were telling others that this kid can play both sides of the puck...he is a more skilled version of Hammer, just less physical..that is a legit #1 defensemen in this league.

I agree trading away Boqvist makes little sense and I have said I doubt Bowman EVER entertains it, but Nylander is the one name that would really make Bowman do a double take and think it over IMO.

1st off, Bowman did a doubletake over Manning and Runblad, so him doing a doubletake is not necessarily the best thing.

2nd, I was one of those guys who watched his play in Portland.

I seem to recall people being High AF on Cam Barker...and we all saw how that panned out. Cautious optimism here. Joker's been everything we could have hoped for and a bag of chips--that's indisputable unless you've bee huffing oven cleaner, but he's not played 20 games yet so I think anyone penciling him in as a top guy long term for the sake of declaring a top D prospect expendible is very short sighted.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
1st off, Bowman did a doubletake over Manning and Runblad, so him doing a doubletake is not necessarily the best thing.

I seem to recall people being High AF on Cam Barker...and we all saw how that panned out. Cautious optimism here. Joker's been everything we could have hoped for and a bag of chips--that's indisputable unless you've bee huffing oven cleaner, but he's not played 20 games yet so I think anyone penciling him in as a top guy long term for the sake of declaring a top D prospect expendible is very short sighted.

AF?

Were you high on Joker? I can't remember.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

this is exactly what happens in reality, you see immediately what you have when they stand out and have stood out for the past few seasons. did we need to see more than 20 games of Kane or Toews to know they were going to be great?? Eichel?? Gaudreau??? Brock Boeser?? Keith was a train wreck in his own zone, but you saw the immense talent that was there, Joker does not nor has he had those flaws. he may never be an elite offensive defensemen, but it is clear to anyone watching him that his future is a top pairing defender at minimum.

I am okay with being cautious but stop ignoring reality and laughably comparing Cam Barker here....there is so many holes in that comparison, these two couldn't be any more different than there is for this position.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I'd love to have Nylander on our team... But certainly not right now at the price he'll cost. We need secondary scoring, but trading away very young and very promising D men to get him would kill us.

Let the guys develop, trade them after they have value at the NHL level... If we have a surplus, THEN fill that hole. But don't get rid of them because we have a bucket full of promises.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd love to have Nylander on our team... But certainly not right now at the price he'll cost. We need secondary scoring, but trading away very young and very promising D men to get him would kill us.

Let the guys develop, trade them after they have value at the NHL level... If we have a surplus, THEN fill that hole. But don't get rid of them because we have a bucket full of promises.

Edit: keep in mind, this organiz
let's just keep all our assets and offer sheet Marner hahahaaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad