We have the 9th overall right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The math and logic in here is frightening.

Crosby's last year in the Q where he notched 168pts in 68 games, there were only 3 other players that broke the 100 point barrier. 2 of those players were his linemates.

His PPG was a full point higher than anyone else in the league.

This was also the year the NHL was locked out, so there were a few guys left in junior who should have been playing pro. The Q was not some goal scoring mecca with miniature defencemen and sieve like goalies.

There could be ten 100 point scorers in the OHL this year and McDavid may not even win the scoring title. He's still awesome, but he's simply comparable to Crosby and nowhere near blowing him out of the water. Personally I think Crosby will end up being the better of the two after their careers are over.

Eichel will be the better of the two anyway

Better skate and better shot

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
McDavid isn't Crosby. Crosby is a generational talent and pretty much the consensus best player on Earth. McDavid will be more like Tavares or Stamkos imo.

And that's nothing to scoff at: he will be an elite #1C who puts up multiple PPG seasons. But I don't think he'll even reach Crosby's level (so few players do).

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
McDavid isn't Crosby. Crosby is a generational talent and pretty much the consensus best player on Earth. McDavid will be more like Tavares or Stamkos imo.

And that's nothing to scoff at: he will be an elite #1C who puts up multiple PPG seasons. But I don't think he'll even reach Crosby's level (so few players do).

I dunno man, I first heard about McDavid like 3 years ago. Stamkos and Tavares I heard about a year in advance (The beginning of the draft year/end of prior draft).

I actually thought McDavid was getting drafted last year, that's how good he is. I have a feeling he would be drafted first overall every year for the last 20 years, outside of maybe Crosby. Probably even over Ovechkin.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Not if you go by the hype Conner will be far better then Sid.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The earliest I heard about someone was Mario Lemieux when he was a kid. There was an article about him in the paper when he was about 10 or so and potting 200+ goals in whatever league he was in at the time.

He turned out to be a good one.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I dunno man, I first heard about McDavid like 3 years ago. Stamkos and Tavares I heard about a year in advance (The beginning of the draft year/end of prior draft).

I actually thought McDavid was getting drafted last year, that's how good he is. I have a feeling he would be drafted first overall every year for the last 20 years, outside of maybe Crosby. Probably even over Ovechkin.

At least for Tavares you must have not been paying attention. We had been hearing about him for years.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Even if McDavid doesn't turn out quite as good as Crosby doesn't mean he doesn't live up to the hype.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pop quiz: who has more playoff series wins since 2011 when Ottawa started rebuilding: Sens or Blues?

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

I swear, those people and their "black color glasses" (would it be the right name?)

IMO, it's a lot worse than rose color glasses. It's total paranoia and will eventually bring you to the asylum.

Okay I might be exaggerating because it's simply a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" when in reality it's about the same ****

Your arguments are hard to take seriously when mixed with so much emotion. Hyperbole and confirmation bias, don't mix well with logic, and balanced reasoning.

Still respect your opinions and understand that you are a passionate fan who wants team success.

This. Well, if someone loses sleep over the Sens failures while listening to Marilyn Manson music, something isn't right. I suggest that this person tries another method of relaxation :help:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
:laugh:

I swear, those people and their "black color glasses" (would it be the right name?)

IMO, it's a lot worse than rose color glasses. It's total paranoia and will eventually bring you to the asylum.

Okay I might be exaggerating because it's simply a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" when in reality it's about the same ****

Don't want to downplay our series win or argue anything here, but it's pretty ignorant to not consider the difference in competition. If you can't make out the difference between the 2013 Habs and the Kings/Blackhawks from 2012-2014, then I don't know what to say.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

McDavid is a generational talent. I don't know how anyone who has watched him can deny this. He is by far the best prospect I have ever seen play. I watched a ton of Stamkos and Tavares when they played in the O and McDavid is on another planet. Basically every time he steps on the ice he reminds you why he is the next one. It's like being beaten over the head with a hammer over and over again.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
McDavid is a generational talent. I don't know how anyone who has watched him can deny this. He is by far the best prospect I have ever seen play. I watched a ton of Stamkos and Tavares when they played in the O and McDavid is on another planet. Basically every time he steps on the ice he reminds you why he is the next one. It's like being beaten over the head with a hammer over and over again.

It remains to be seen. I remember the hype for Tavares and this feels reminiscent.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It remains to be seen. I remember the hype for Tavares and this feels reminiscent.

Yeah it was, back in 2007 when he put up 72 goals in 67 games, but in the two years after that before Tavares was drafted the hype faded tremendously as Tavares' numbers declined.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If I remember correctly, Tavares was foot-speed away from monstrous hype.

Yep. Gotta give Tavares credit for improving in that part of his game. He's come a long way since his days in junior. McDavid already has breakaway speed though and seems to have a Crosby type work ethic to his hockey life. It'll be fun to see where he can improve. Certainly bulking up will be next on his priorities. Imagine a 200 pound McDavid when he's in his mid twenties.

Stamkos was a bit of a twig when he was drafted and now looks like one of the most powerful skaters in the world.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think McDavid will be better than Crosby in the NHL. I do believe he and Crosby will have rivaling numbers (like Crosby and OV) int eh league. It's hard to overlook Connor's stats in the (slightly harder) OHL versus Crosby's Q stats. And, we also have to remember the NHL completely revamped their rules just before Crosby entered the NHL to essentially make the league more skill-player friendly.

Heck, I remember Crosby's team on tv when he was 12-13. They lost in the final, but you could tell he was heads and shoulders above everyone. Same with Connor showing a few of his games as a 15 year old.

The big difference right now between the two is physical development. Crosby was very strong - especially in the legs and core - entering the NHL. McDavid doesn't have that body strength yet. I don't see McDavid having the same impact in the NHL in his rookies season as Crosby did. It will probably be his third year where he starts putting up the superstar numbers for whatever team gets him.

BigBush*

I don't think McDavid will be better than Crosby in the NHL. I do believe he and Crosby will have rivaling numbers (like Crosby and OV) int eh league. It's hard to overlook Connor's stats in the (slightly harder) OHL versus Crosby's Q stats. And, we also have to remember the NHL completely revamped their rules just before Crosby entered the NHL to essentially make the league more skill-player friendly.

Heck, I remember Crosby's team on tv when he was 12-13. They lost in the final, but you could tell he was heads and shoulders above everyone. Same with Connor showing a few of his games as a 15 year old.

The big difference right now between the two is physical development. Crosby was very strong - especially in the legs and core - entering the NHL. McDavid doesn't have that body strength yet. I don't see McDavid having the same impact in the NHL in his rookies season as Crosby did. It will probably be his third year where he starts putting up the superstar numbers for whatever team gets him.

Really? How do you know McDavid doesnt have the strength Crosby did?
He seems to blow past everyone when I watch him.

McDavid seems like he'll be a better goal scorer than Crosby. not sure if that means he'll be a better player though

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Really? How do you know McDavid doesnt have the strength Crosby did?
He seems to blow past everyone when I watch him.

McDavid seems like he'll be a better goal scorer than Crosby. not sure if that means he'll be a better player though

Seen the kid in his street cloths.

Crosby had those treetrunk thighs and core in his final junior year. You have to remember Crosby was on a very unique workout regimen since he was 13. His core was unbelievably strong at a very young age. He also has that natural 'fire hydrant' thick frame to build on, as well. Close to a Marty St. Louis.

McDavid has an average frame. Not as thick as Crosby. He is in great shape, but he'll never be able to have those same kind of treetrunk core. He has great speed and agility....it's just the strength battling against men in the NHL that will be a bit of a problem for him for the first year or two.

BigBush*

Seen the kid in his street cloths.

Crosby had those treetrunk thighs and core in his final junior year. You have to remember Crosby was on a very unique workout regimen since he was 13. His core was unbelievably strong at a very young age. He also has that natural 'fire hydrant' thick frame to build on, as well. Close to a Marty St. Louis.

McDavid has an average frame. Not as thick as Crosby. He is in great shape, but he'll never be able to have those same kind of treetrunk core. He has great speed and agility....it's just the strength battling against men in the NHL that will be a bit of a problem for him for the first year or two.
Ya, he doesnt look as thick as Crosby, but he looks like he has a much bigger wingspan if you know what i mean, kind of like Malkin.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's all about how well you use what you have

Crosby is a beast because he's so hard to get off of the puck

McDavid likely won't be able to rival him in that category but he might still develop an aspect that Crosby can't

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's all about how well you use what you have

Crosby is a beast because he's so hard to get off of the puck

McDavid likely won't be able to rival him in that category but he might still develop an aspect that Crosby can't

There was a video made (before Crosby was drafted) where Crosby would balance on top of one of those workout balls, and his trainer with throw a medicine ball at him. They'd toss the ball back and forth, and try to push Crosby off balance. It was insane! His legs and core were so solid, and his balance so amazing. That's why it's near impossible to get the puck off that guy....that crazy core strength. Just balancing on those balls is hard enough, but to throw around a medicine ball on top of that thing...crazy.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I saw Lindros. He was worth all the hype. All of it. He was a freak and even the Flyers never won a Cup with him.

McDavid may be MacKinnon good, Tavares good, Crosby good. Pretty sure he is not 66 or 99 good. Still does not guarantee a championship. We have, due to draft change rules.... Still a chance at him... Even as we fight for a playoff spot. I like that.

Anyway. I hope we make the playoffs. Go Sens!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I saw Lindros. He was worth all the hype. All of it. He was a freak and even the Flyers never won a Cup with him.

100% agreed.

Say what you want about his dad and all of the BS about his family being too involved in his career, fine. On the ice, Lindros was incredible. He was good at everything, he was the complete package. Had an elite shot, was a great playmaker, hit like a brick house, stickhandled in a phone booth, played good defensive hockey, high-end leadership... there wasn't anything that you could possibly ask a hockey player to do that he didn't do at an insanely high level, except play goalie. And possibly also: avoid concussions.

A 100% healthy Lindros over a full career probably ends up as one of the top all time hockey players ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad